Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Google Authenticator re-install help.

Go to solution Solved by Lurick,
1 hour ago, 8lec said:

Getting the QR and saving it onto my PC should be a piece of cake... Are you sure it will work, if the host app has has been uninstalled?

It's supposed to but I'm not 100% sure on that myself as I moved off Google's authentication app a long time ago. If you have another tablet/phone/etc you can scan the QR code and double check then you should be fine that way.

G'day peeps.

So my phone is gotten very slow and I'm gonna factory reset it. I'm not quite sure how to move the Google Authenticator codes back on to my phone once I'm done. I saw you could export it, but all it gives me is a QR code (which I think is to be used to transfer it to another device).

So I'm not quite sure how this is gonna work. Any help will be appreciated

• CPU
    i3-6100
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte H110m ds2
  • RAM
    16gb 2400MHz Corsair Vengence
  • GPU
    1660 super
  • Storage
    500GB 860 EVO & 1TB seagate hdd
  • PSU
    Corsair CX750
  • Audio
    Superlux HD660 Reference Closed Back Headphones
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 (1907)

I really thought they implemented a way to backup to a cloud storage to restore but after searching they have not so your only options appear to either disable 2FA on all the accounts and wipe the phone and re-enable it or get the QR code off the device to scan after a wipe.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

27 minutes ago, Lurick said:

I really thought they implemented a way to backup to a cloud storage to restore but after searching they have not so your only options appear to either disable 2FA on all the accounts and wipe the phone and re-enable it or get the QR code off the device to scan after a wipe.

Getting the QR and saving it onto my PC should be a piece of cake... Are you sure it will work, if the host app has has been uninstalled?

• CPU
    i3-6100
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte H110m ds2
  • RAM
  • GPU
    1660 super
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Corsair CX750
  • Audio
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 (1907)
1 hour ago, 8lec said:

It's supposed to but I'm not 100% sure on that myself as I moved off Google's authentication app a long time ago. If you have another tablet/phone/etc you can scan the QR code and double check then you should be fine that way.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

21 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Ok. I guess I'll turn 2fa off. Btw, what do you use?

• CPU
    i3-6100
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte H110m ds2
  • RAM
  • GPU
    1660 super
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Corsair CX750
  • Audio
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 (1907)
7 minutes ago, 8lec said:

Ok. I guess I'll turn 2fa off. Btw, what do you use?

Personally I use Duo for 2FA but I know Authy is pretty good too, both have backup to cloud functionality so if your device is lost you can restore everything to a new phone BUT you have to remember your recovery password (and keep it secure) otherwise it will get erased.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: