PCPer Oculus rift review/overview

PCPerspective's Ryan Shrout reviewed his own developer kit of the Oculus rift.

this looks really awesome....He brought up some cools issues

-low resolution being bothersome (mentioned higher resolution lenses being in the later versions)

-motion sickness?

-strange controls
-light headset 

-realistic feeling of depth

some things I noticed.

the right and left eye will see two slightly different images (in optimized games) making it more immersive.

does not seem good at all for FPS and other genres where you need to precisely and quickly aim/shoot.

seems like it could be very good for simulators (racing games,flight simulation,etc)

what do you guys think of this?

Source

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Really cool idea, I've been following it for a while, I might wait off before I get it but so the software for it is abit more mature.

I still think eyefinity combined with TrackIR will work better for gaming on the PC

combine this with xbox kinect and it would be wicked

Its all about those volumetric clouds

I still think eyefinity combined with TrackIR will work better for gaming on the PC

combine this with xbox kinect and it would be wicked

As of right now, I  agree.

But what you need to keep in mind is that those are only Develompent kits. The final consumer-oriented product is promised to have much higher resolution which might result in a superior experience to anything that came before.

Oh my motion sickness  :'(

This is something that I am following very closely and I am quite interested to see where the ends up at the launch. One of two things will happen with a product like this is will be amazing and be the next big thing or it will crash and burn.

its watching a kid on Christmas

CPU: 5950x @ 4.5ghz All core OC perm GPU: GTX 3090 RAM: 128gb DDR4 

As beautiful and immersive as it is, I have my doubts it would be as easy to actually play games with at least, definitely not in its current state and having two control methods does sound like a big problem.

As beautiful and immersive as it is, I have my doubts it would be as easy to actually play games with at least, definitely not in its current state and having two control methods does sound like a big problem.

That is a good point people are used to controlling there games using either a mouse or a controller, with there being two different ways to move the camera this is gonna throw some people quite quickly and they will abandon it unless they come up with a solution for games that if the Oculus Rift of something similar is detected then it would disable the looking controls and use that for something else like a weapon select wheel or something.

That is a good point people are used to controlling there games using either a mouse or a controller, with there being two different ways to move the camera this is gonna throw some people quite quickly and they will abandon it unless they come up with a solution for games that if the Oculus Rift of something similar is detected then it would disable the looking controls and use that for something else like a weapon select wheel or something.

Yep they already have several ways to combat that issue for FPS game so far. I only see it as an advantage to have the rift.

And your theory rest on the notion of using today's games with tomorrows tech. When they start making games and content specifically for this thing your argument won't hold any water. 

And regardless or not of that point, I having been waiting for this my whole life. I will gladly trade competitive advantage for this level of immersion any day of the year. 

CPU: 5950x @ 4.5ghz All core OC perm GPU: GTX 3090 RAM: 128gb DDR4 

Yep they already have several ways to combat that issue for FPS game so far. I only see it as an advantage to have the rift.

And your theory rest on the notion of using today's games with tomorrows tech. When they start making games and content specifically for this thing your argument won't hold any water. 

And regardless or not of that point, I having been waiting for this my whole life. I will gladly trade competitive advantage for this level of immersion any day of the year. 

thanks for linking this,it was really interesting to see his experience with the OR

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Get Oculus Rift, disable head-tracking, lie in your bed, play like a boss.

This combination appeals to me: