Run ethernet through telephone cables

giwrgosp-

The cable on the photo starts on this telephone socket and ends on a telephone socket on an other room. This cable is a copper telephone cable, not utp. Its cross section is larger than a utp wire. I know that ethernet cat 5 is 4 wires, so i tried connecting my router on this socket (with a cat 5 wire) so that the pc on the other room gets ethernet connection but it seems like the signal cant get through.. Is there any way to utilize this cable in order to provide ethernet connection to the PC on the other room? I cant replace this cable with a utp cause it is build in the floor without the tube....

image.png.4204d5cfdb877fce09607402608f0988.png

You'd probably need to convert it to VDSL but those adapters are expensive.

As long as your main broadband isn't DSL based, you'd probably be better of trying good Powerline adapters.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

9 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

You'd probably need to convert it to VDSL but those adapters are expensive.

As long as your main broadband isn't DSL based, you'd probably be better of trying good Powerline adapters.

Thats pretty interesting. Didnt know that this could happen. Thanks for the response!

That also gave me the idea of doing this with an ethernet to usb adapter. Would be pretty interesting to see if this could work.

I did also look into this recently, I even went as far as finding network endpoint where my house network connects to DSL. I am certain that this can be done but I am not sure how would one go about terminating ends to meet any kind of standards.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, Levent said:

I did also look into this recently, I even went as far as finding network endpoint where my house network connects to DSL. I am certain that this can be done but I am not sure how would one go about terminating ends to meet any kind of standards.

I don't mean hooking it into the main DSL, as you can only have one router.  I meant Ethernet to VDSL adapters, but they are quite rare so expensive.  In 99.9% of scenarios WiFi or Powerline is likely a better option, but powerline can interfere with your DSL if that is how you are receiving broadband.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

15 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I don't mean hooking it into the main DSL, as you can only have one router.  I meant Ethernet to VDSL adapters, but they are quite rare so expensive.  In 99.9% of scenarios WiFi or Powerline is likely a better option, but powerline can interfere with your DSL if that is how you are receiving broadband.

That is also not what I meant. I believe I am trying to do exactly what OP is trying to do. I am looking to use existing Cat3 cable to have LAN connection from one room to other without having to run cables through the walls (which is also impossible in my case). I currently dont have any RJ45 connectors to crimp but I will most definitely try this once I have them. I already separated rooms that I am looking to connect together from ISP connection physically. You dont need to run your own DSL connection for LAN. I am pretty sure this is possible albeit at 10mbps which is fine for me. 

EDIT: Yup, it will work.

EDIT2: It seems it even might work at 100mbps.

10baseT%20diag.gif

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

18 minutes ago, Levent said:

That is also not what I meant. I believe I am trying to do exactly what OP is trying to do. I am looking to use existing Cat3 cable to have LAN connection from one room to other without having to run cables through the walls (which is also impossible in my case). I currently dont have any RJ45 connectors to crimp but I will most definitely try this once I have them. I already separated rooms that I am looking to connect together from ISP connection physically. You dont need to run your own DSL connection for LAN. I am pretty sure this is possible albeit at 10mbps which is fine for me. 

Well, in my situation it seems like my cables are not suitable for ethernet transmittion.. Signal didnt get through it. Hope it works for you!

3 hours ago, giwrgosp- said:

Well, in my situation it seems like my cables are not suitable for ethernet transmittion.. Signal didnt get through it. Hope it works for you!

I can't tell if that cable is twisted pair, it probably isn't and why you can't get it to work.  Even if it did, you'd probably be limited to 10-BASE-T.

You could try forcing it onto half-duplex on the network adapter in device manager, which I think is what forces the CAT3 mode.  But it may be your switch/router might not like it.

3 hours ago, Levent said:

The Gigabit NIC in my laptop states:

With state-of-the-art DSP technology and mixed-mode signal technology, the RTL8111G/RTL8111GS offers high-speed transmission over CAT 5 UTP cable or CAT 3 UTP (10Mbps only) cable.

Curious though, as surely it supports half-duplex which is what may work at 100Mbit over voice grade cabling.