Is the R5 5600X worth it over the R5 3600?

I will be gaming at 1080p with a 165hz monitor and I also play VR games quite a lot. It would be $200 for 3600 and $300 for 5600X.

Usually worth it IMO. Still, need to know budget, gpu and games to fully determine.

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

ask yourself a few questions, what games are you going to play, what settings, how long do you plan to keep this cpu before you upgrade it, do you need to do anything other than gaming or is it purely for gaming?

if you ware going to keep this cpu for 5 years or more, I would try to find the 5600x when its in stock at msrp. 

you could also potentially wait for the 5600 non-x (if that ever becomes a thing)

3 minutes ago, The_Vaccine said:

ask yourself a few questions, what games are you going to play, what settings, how long do you plan to keep this cpu before you upgrade it, do you need to do anything other than gaming or is it purely for gaming?

if you ware going to keep this cpu for 5 years or more, I would try to find the 5600x when its in stock at msrp. 

you could also potentially wait for the 5600 non-x (if that ever becomes a thing)

5600x is in stock at newegg NOW. Is this a rare occurrence? If it is I should probably take advantage of it.

What games do you play?

If you're looking to push above 165 fps constantly, 5600x is the better choice as paying $100 more is probably about 10% more overall for your rig but in CPU bound games you'll get about 10-20% more fps

It also depends on how often you upgrade

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

40 minutes ago, InvertedIce said:

I will be gaming at 1080p with a 165hz monitor and I also play VR games quite a lot. It would be $200 for 3600 and $300 for 5600X.

Considering these are FPS & CPU sensitive scenarios for the most part I'd ONLY get the 5600x, between the two.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

39 minutes ago, InvertedIce said:

It would be $200 for 3600 and $300 for 5600X

Get that extra 100$ then, or else just go for 11400F instead of a 3600.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

From all the video reviews I've read the 5000 series is just better than the 3000 series and Intel 10th Gen on a like for like level. The only point that now enters the equation is cost and how much cash you have and if you go Intel Gen 10 because they too have had a big price drop? So cost vs performance.

AMD are shipping CPUs so the market is unstable in so far as a number of series 9 arrived and that lowered the series 7 and 5600x prices too by quit a bit. When the 9's run out I do expect prices to go up again until the next batch hits the retailers. But in saying that maybe AMD distribution chain will keep stocking the whole generation?

I can't decide between 5800 and 5900 right now, but if I were starting again to buy Mobos etc I could have gone Intel 10th Gen because of the big price cuts. If I were you, even with costs being a bit more I'd go for a 5800x rather than the 5600x, it just seems better for lasting more years game usage than the 5600x

6 hours ago, rockyroller said:

From all the video reviews I've read the 5000 series is just better than the 3000 series and Intel 10th Gen on a like for like level. The only point that now enters the equation is cost and how much cash you have and if you go Intel Gen 10 because they too have had a big price drop? So cost vs performance.

AMD are shipping CPUs so the market is unstable in so far as a number of series 9 arrived and that lowered the series 7 and 5600x prices too by quit a bit. When the 9's run out I do expect prices to go up again until the next batch hits the retailers. But in saying that maybe AMD distribution chain will keep stocking the whole generation?

I can't decide between 5800 and 5900 right now, but if I were starting again to buy Mobos etc I could have gone Intel 10th Gen because of the big price cuts. If I were you, even with costs being a bit more I'd go for a 5800x rather than the 5600x, it just seems better for lasting more years game usage than the 5600x

How much better is the 5800X than the 5600X, and how much longer would it last?

Well what the video below shows me is the 5600x can play everything really well right now, but it is near the maximum of its performance cap. The 5800x has a bit more room for games to demand more of the CPU before it too becomes in need of a replacement.

It is actually impossible to say how long a CPU will last because only the game developers and hardware engineers know when the next leap forward might arrive and how far that leap might be, or if you really want to be part of that leap. (Ray tracing comes to mind).

But I'm thinking 5 years will be reasonable for both CPUs, but you might be playing in lowest settings with the 5600x as it has no real room to improve, whilst the 5800x might be able to manage medium with GFx upgrades. The 5800x will also be able to handle extra programs running in the background, which you might be forced to turn off with the 5600x