Need recommendations for My second Build in my entire life

Budget (including currency): unlimited - I will buy things as they need to be upgraded

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Adobe Master Collection and any video games past 2010 once I can get a powerful video card

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO TEST BENCH MID TWR

Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (wifi 6) AMD AM4(3rd gen Ryzen)

RYZEN 9 3950X WOF

TOUGHPOWER 1200W 80 PLUS GOLD

2 g-skill trident 32gb ddr4 3200 ram

Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black, 140mm dual-tower CPU cooler (Black)

SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 2280 1TB SATA III V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-N6E1T0BW

Seagate BarraCuda ST8000DM004 8TB 5400 RPM 256MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive

2 Cooler Master MasterFan MF140 HALO Addressable RGB 140mm Fan with Duo-Ring ARGB LED Lighting

2 Noctua NF-R8 redux-1800 PWM, High Performance Cooling Fan, 4-Pin, 1800 RPM (80mm, Grey)

ARCTIC P12 PWM PST CO - Pressure-optimised 120 mm Fan with PWM and PST (PWM Sharing Technology) for Continuous Operation

MasterFan MF200R RGB - Premium-Quality 200mm RGB Hybrid Silent High Airflow In-Take Fan for Computer Case.by Cooler ...

MSI GT710 2GB D3 PCIE LP

MSI GT710 1GB D3 PCIE LP

BenQ XR Series EX3501R 35" 3440 x 1440 Resolution 100Hz DisplayPort, 2x HDMI, USB-C HDR10 FreeSync Flicker-Free 

Wacom - Cintiq 16 Creative Pen Display Drawing Tablet

Logitech - G502 HERO Wired Optical Gaming Mouse with RGB Lighting - Black

Logitech - G915 LIGHTSPEED Wireless RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard with GL Clicky Switch - Black

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please note, I am not trying to brag I just need recommendations from people who have done this more than I have.

I am looking for settings that will make my machine more reliable. 

I will probably not be updating my video card until a year from now as they are impossible to find unless I am willing to go to Micro center every tuesday, wednesday and friday morning at 6am and wait until 10am to try and get what I want.  

Also, can anyone tell me why Asus would only make three out of the four memory lanes  useable for the ram?  This confuses the hell out of me.  the slots are always 1,2 and 4.  3 is never listed.

https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b550-f-gaming-model/helpdesk_qvl_memory

As always, thank you for any and all help.  I look forward to hearing from you guys.

James McGill

Edited by Blakgambit
formatting went a little wonky when after I hit post

Perhaps an M.2 NVMe SSD??? Your motherboard does support them and will be significantly faster than a M.2 SATA III SSD.

Another thing would be the graphics card (obviously we're in the middle of a GPU shortage) as you probably can fit in a high-end RTX 30-series or RX6800 and higher with this build. 

25 minutes ago, Blakgambit said:

Also, can anyone tell me why Asus would only make three out of the four memory lanes  useable for the ram?  This confuses the hell out of me.  the slots are always 1,2 and 4.  3 is never listed.

I'm not sure what you mean, as the manual (page 17 of the PDF download) lists up to 4 DIMMS can be installed at once. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

You may want a X570 for driving that 3950x.

M.2 Nvme SSD is recommended for productivity, i suggest WD SN750 or Samsung 970 evo.

Dual GT710 is not necessary. You probably better buy a used GT750.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

• 2 months later...
On 5/5/2021 at 4:07 PM, SpiderMan said:

Perhaps an M.2 NVMe SSD??? Your motherboard does support them and will be significantly faster than a M.2 SATA III SSD.

Another thing would be the graphics card (obviously we're in the middle of a GPU shortage) as you probably can fit in a high-end RTX 30-series or RX6800 and higher with this build. 

I'm not sure what you mean, as the manual (page 17 of the PDF download) lists up to 4 DIMMS can be installed at once. 

Sorry for the late reply.  

The manual lists 4 dimms.  However, when i go onto their compatibility page and input the specs of my system.  The dram that is listed has the slots, they will work in, listed next to each one.  And each type of ram states either 1, 2, 4, or all three.  But slot 3 is never mentioned as being useable.  When I asked the people at asus about this, the person helping me, could not give me an answer.   I went through two purchases (both of which i had to return) of dram before my third attempt worked.  The first set I bought wasn't compatible, the second set, was compatible but only in slot 4.  the third set was compatible in 1, 2, and 4.  So I put them in 2 and 4.  

I do not know why they did that.  Maybe it was just because it was something to do with the amd 3000 series of processors and the motherboard itself.

James 

On 5/5/2021 at 4:21 PM, SupaKomputa said:

You may want a X570 for driving that 3950x.

M.2 Nvme SSD is recommended for productivity, i suggest WD SN750 or Samsung 970 evo.

Dual GT710 is not necessary. You probably better buy a used GT750.

You are correct.  However, I don't have the cash at the moment to buy a replacement.  Maybe in two years when what I have doesn't work as well.  Next time I will try not to be so quick to buy and read what I am buying a little more closely.  Thank you for the suggestion.

3 hours ago, Blakgambit said:

Sorry for the late reply.  

The manual lists 4 dimms.  However, when i go onto their compatibility page and input the specs of my system.  The dram that is listed has the slots, they will work in, listed next to each one.  And each type of ram states either 1, 2, 4, or all three.  But slot 3 is never mentioned as being useable.  When I asked the people at asus about this, the person helping me, could not give me an answer.   I went through two purchases (both of which i had to return) of dram before my third attempt worked.  The first set I bought wasn't compatible, the second set, was compatible but only in slot 4.  the third set was compatible in 1, 2, and 4.  So I put them in 2 and 4.  

I do not know why they did that.  Maybe it was just because it was something to do with the amd 3000 series of processors and the motherboard itself.

James 

That's just very strange that the RAM would not work in slot 3. Too bad ASUS can't give a definite answer. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

My Reccomendation, 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

Get 3600 mhz Ram ASAP. You should know that Ryzen Cpu's Work better on more  Higher mhz Ram. Ditch the 2x 710s and get a 1660 super. also if u want fas as frick preformance in loading and stuff, get a 980 pro SSD Nvme