Can I reuse thermal paste?

IcePea379

Ok so, I plan to clean my PC, and if I remove the heatsink, I should remove the thermal paste and put a new one for preventing thermal-throtheling. But, if I use something like plastic, and I push all the thermal paste from CPU in the center, I will reconstruct a ”rice”, then do the same thing with the heatsink. And when mounting the heatsink back again, the paste will spread evenly on the surface, as a new apllyed thermal paste, and i will prevent air pockets and thermal throtheling. Is my solution practical an viable? Or this won't work. Sry for my english. =)

It's not considered a reusable item.

It's best to replace it every time you remove your heatsink.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

If it has been a while since you first installed the heatsink, you should replace it with new paste. This will increase the time before you have to change out your thermal paste again.

But for example when you just mounted the cooler and have to take it right back off, don't bother changing the paste. Just remount the cooler.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Nope, you can't. I've tried recently - because I was too lazy and I knew that there will be no heavy load on this setup. Effect - more heat on cpu. Even cheap paste, but fresh, will be much better than old one...

EVGA X299 Micro, i7-7820X, 16GB GoodRAM IRDM X, PNY RTX 2070 Super, 1x Adata S70 Blade 512GB, 1x MX500 1TB, 1x BX200 480GB, Thermaltake Smart SE 630W, Phanteks Enthoo Pro

On my laptop when I cleaned it I removed the heatpipes, that are connected to both the cpu and the gpu. Did not change the paste. One week later I had to open it up again because the thermals were so bad.