Help with RGB PLEASE!!!

Hi, so I don't usually post this type of stuff but the last few days I have been really really confused.

So I built my PC a couple months ago and I'm still kind of new to this stuff, but recently I realized my temperatures were increasing quite a lot so I thought it'd be good to do my first upgrade since I bought my original parts.

I bought 3 120 mm fans from the same company as my case (Fractal Design)

When they arrived right away I realized I fucked up. My motherboard only has 3 fan headers, 1 for CPU and 2 for system, so I had to get fan extensions in order to plug more in.

Secondly, I realized also I only had 1 RGB header which my CPU was plugged into (it has RGB on the fan for the CPU), but since it has been a while since I built my PC I forgot that the RGB header was 4 pins... This became a problem when I realized my 3 fans which have RGB all are 3 pin RGB. 

I have tried to understand how RGB works with 5V and 12V and 3 and 4 and even 5 pins but I'm still confused.

What is the solution for me to be able to keep my CPU fan light on but also turn the other 3 fans lights on??

BTW, I bought an RGB hub but they are all 3 pin connections so I can't connect the 4 pin inside anyways...

Please try to dumb down explanations if you can because like I said I'm still kinda new to this :) 

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!

11 minutes ago, ZeusThyGreat said:

Hi, so I don't usually post this type of stuff but the last few days I have been really really confused.

So I built my PC a couple months ago and I'm still kind of new to this stuff, but recently I realized my temperatures were increasing quite a lot so I thought it'd be good to do my first upgrade since I bought my original parts.

I bought 3 120 mm fans from the same company as my case (Fractal Design)

When they arrived right away I realized I fucked up. My motherboard only has 3 fan headers, 1 for CPU and 2 for system, so I had to get fan extensions in order to plug more in.

Secondly, I realized also I only had 1 RGB header which my CPU was plugged into (it has RGB on the fan for the CPU), but since it has been a while since I built my PC I forgot that the RGB header was 4 pins... This became a problem when I realized my 3 fans which have RGB all are 3 pin RGB. 

I have tried to understand how RGB works with 5V and 12V and 3 and 4 and even 5 pins but I'm still confused.

What is the solution for me to be able to keep my CPU fan light on but also turn the other 3 fans lights on??

BTW, I bought an RGB hub but they are all 3 pin connections so I can't connect the 4 pin inside anyways...

Please try to dumb down explanations if you can because like I said I'm still kinda new to this 🙂

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!

rgb = red, greed, blue. this can be ground and positive red12v, positive green12v, and positive blue12v. but it can also be

positive 12v, ground red, ground green, ground blue

rgb-led_8qitceRYYl.png?auto=compress,for

well standard rgb 4pin 12v and argb 5v 3pin but you can also buy 4pin argb as well as rgb 5v and argb 12v

then theres the 5pin 12v rgbw witch just add white in there. some strips can also be wired rbg instead of rgb why i dont no...

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

I dont think there is any solution, i was jusst researching the other day about rgb because i was planning on adding fans too. The fans that you bought are aRGB, which uses 3 pins, it looks like a 4 pin connector but with one missing. The kind of header that your mobo has is 4 pins, which makes it 12v RGB. The thing is that both connectors are completely different, the 3 pin is digital and the 4 pin is analog.

Some mobos have both types of headers, check if there are any that look like the 3 pin. 

rgb-headers-motherboard.jpg

4 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

well standard rgb 4pin 12v and argb 5v 3pin but you can also buy 4pin argb as well as rgb 5v and argb 12v

then theres the 5pin 12v rgbw witch just add white in there. some strips can also be wired rbg instead of rgb why i dont no...

OK; but how can I be able to plug in and have both my CPU light work aswell as my Fans? They're both different and i only have 1 header to be able to use...

Just now, ZeusThyGreat said:

OK; but how can I be able to plug in and have both my CPU light work aswell as my Fans? They're both different and i only have 1 header to be able to use...

i would buy another argb fan to replace the rgb

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

1 minute ago, 1saacF said:

I dont think there is any solution, i was jusst researching the other day about rgb because i was planning on adding fans too. The fans that you bought are aRGB, which uses 3 pins, it looks like a 4 pin connector but with one missing. The kind of header that your mobo has is 4 pins, which makes it 12v RGB. The thing is that both connectors are completely different, the 3 pin is digital and the 4 pin is analog.

Some mobos have both types of headers, check if there are any that look like the 3 pin. 

My Mobo is the b365m pro-vdh, from what I saw in my motherboard as well as online there isn't another header...

4 minutes ago, ZeusThyGreat said:

My Mobo is the b365m pro-vdh, from what I saw in my motherboard as well as online there isn't another header...

oh you can buy a hub i recommend an powered hub by sata or molex

Edited by thrasher_565

8 minutes ago, 1saacF said:

notices the r and g is witched on this mb

Edited by thrasher_565

6 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

oh you can buy a hub i recommend an powered hub by sata or molex

I have a hub like that but how can i connect my 3 pin plug to connect the hub into the mobo if the hole is blocked?

9 minutes ago, ZeusThyGreat said:

yeah i looked it up rn, theres is one 12v RGB at the bottom left. If I were you I would return the fans if possible. 

Look for 12v RGB fans as well as a hub for the same type of connector. With the hub you'll be able to plug in multiple fans. Sorry

2 minutes ago, ZeusThyGreat said:

I have a hub like that but how can i connect my 3 pin plug to connect the hub into the mobo if the hole is blocked?

The problem is that that hub that he showed and the one you have are not compatible with your mobo. ARGB and 12v RGB are not compatible, they are different technologies, digital and analog. 

oh the problem is only having an rgb mb header? if so then ya buy all rgb fans or buy an usb controller manual or software controlled. there is an convertor to convert 5v device to rgb12 mb header but i dont recommend it.

I would reccomend buying this hub for the rgb connectors. It uses SATA for power and molex to give rgb

Lamptron RGB Hub SP103, 10 Slot: Amazon.ca: Electronics

This hub to add more fan headers

Electop PC Chassis Fan Hub CPU Cooling HUB 10 Port 12V 4 Pin Fan PWM Hub Molex Controller: Amazon.ca: Electronics

Basically, you got the wrong type of RGB fans. Best option is to return them and buy new ones. 

10 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

oh the problem is only having an rgb mb header? if so then ya buy all rgb fans or buy an usb controller manual or software controlled. there is an convertor to convert 5v device to rgb12 mb header but i dont recommend it.

Hi, so I sat down with my dad and spoke to him about maybe getting a transformer to turn 12v into 5v and plug in my hub to connect my fans while keeping my CPU light still on..

2 minutes ago, ZeusThyGreat said:

Hi, so I sat down with my dad and spoke to him about maybe getting a transformer to turn 12v into 5v and plug in my hub to connect my fans while keeping my CPU light still on..

that wont work... 5v 3pin argb uses data not voltage to control the rgb

3 minutes ago, ZeusThyGreat said:

you need a usb controller or manual controller to control the 5v argb fans. if you want to make your argb fans dume and act like rgb fans the you can try the convertor but i dont recommend it.

3 minutes ago, ZeusThyGreat said:

That first hub for the rgb wont work. The wire has to connect to your motherboard through a 3pin aRGB header, which your mobo does NOT have.