I need advice about at-home CCTV

ChevyW.
Go to solution Solved by siewcu,

For starters - it won't be cheap, if you want decent quality PTZ cameras. Also NVR/DVR will be better choice than PC as a recorder(software ain't cheap). Or you can buy something on aliexpress and pray that this'll work when you need it.

IMHO - I've recently seen something like Dahua TiOC camera and I'll go for it, then NVR(with built-in PoE switch, or external PoE switch - if you want to power it that way) with WizSense - and you'll have decent quality without spending ton of money. And forget about PTZ, around house it's pointless. Cheaper option is to use analog hardware, it isn't as bad as a lot of people says. Except situations where 8Mpix isn't enough... Your choice. I've built CCTV for small place(like around a house) with Dahua analog CCTV - 3 8Mpix(HAC-HFW2802E-A-0280B, it's discontinued but has good 1/1.8" CMOS sensor) cameras outside, 3 5Mpix(HAC-HDW1500TLMQ-A-0280B-S2) cameras inside, WizSense XVR(HDCVI 6.0 Plus - XVR7208A-4K-I2). Price is reasonable, SMD+ will do its work when needed, and maybe even alarm out... And I'll suggest something like this. Good thing is that you can go up to 4K using UTP cable - passive video converter like PFM800-4K plus DC connector and you can have one UTP cable to power a camera and send image through it.

Hello, everyone! First of all, I apologize if I explained anything badly as English isn't my native language! I apologize if this is posted in the wrong thread too!

Well, I decided to grow more as a person and thought to myself what better way than tinkering more with technology?
That's why I came to this forum as I have some questions about making an at-home CCTV system since I've never done it before so I please ask for your patience!

First of all, I'd like to hear your advices for the system and cameras itself! I'm looking for a system (whether that's a small PC or a dedicated CCTV station+monitor) and cameras that are preferably decent quality and with a decent price! Something Full-HD (or even better if the price allows it), preferably able to be manually moved (through a phone app, this point isn't necessary though if the lens is able to cover a wide-enough area though!), night vision, with sound, and some I can see on my phone wherever I am! Oh, I'd also like to ask some tips on how to avoid someone else hooking into them if they'll be connected to the internet (cause if I'm right, that's the only possible way for me to check them "on the go" on my phone when I'm away from home) Price for this is around $1000 but I can always chip in more! Nothing above $1800 though, please! It's just a small at-home camera system project, I don't need super duper expensive security 🙂

Second of all, there's a picture of what I'd like attached below but I'll try to explain it in words too. Basically, I'd like an "access point" (middle point) to my cameras outside to which I connect my cameras. Then the cables go from that "access point" to the CCTV's main station. Think of it as a little bit of cable managment but I'm doing this more since I can't directly connect every camera straight to the main station. So I'm asking for a "middle point" to where I'll connect the cameras and then connect it straight to the station. Is that even possible? Could anyone help me out with this, please?

Thank you for your patience and help 🙂

CCTV.png

For starters - it won't be cheap, if you want decent quality PTZ cameras. Also NVR/DVR will be better choice than PC as a recorder(software ain't cheap). Or you can buy something on aliexpress and pray that this'll work when you need it.

IMHO - I've recently seen something like Dahua TiOC camera and I'll go for it, then NVR(with built-in PoE switch, or external PoE switch - if you want to power it that way) with WizSense - and you'll have decent quality without spending ton of money. And forget about PTZ, around house it's pointless. Cheaper option is to use analog hardware, it isn't as bad as a lot of people says. Except situations where 8Mpix isn't enough... Your choice. I've built CCTV for small place(like around a house) with Dahua analog CCTV - 3 8Mpix(HAC-HFW2802E-A-0280B, it's discontinued but has good 1/1.8" CMOS sensor) cameras outside, 3 5Mpix(HAC-HDW1500TLMQ-A-0280B-S2) cameras inside, WizSense XVR(HDCVI 6.0 Plus - XVR7208A-4K-I2). Price is reasonable, SMD+ will do its work when needed, and maybe even alarm out... And I'll suggest something like this. Good thing is that you can go up to 4K using UTP cable - passive video converter like PFM800-4K plus DC connector and you can have one UTP cable to power a camera and send image through it.

EVGA X299 Micro, i7-7820X, 16GB GoodRAM IRDM X, PNY RTX 2070 Super, 1x Adata S70 Blade 512GB, 1x MX500 1TB, 1x BX200 480GB, Thermaltake Smart SE 630W, Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Hey, Siewcu! Thank you very much for your reply and all the information you provided, it's very helpful! I didn't understand much at first but I've read about it online a tiny bit and I understand your reply more 🙂 Thanks for discouraging me from using PTZ, they really aren't cheap enough for a simple at-home camera system.

You reccomended Dahua TiOC which I think are great from what I just looked at them! They match the price I asked for just right too!
So, what your suggestion is for me is to to get an external PoE switch to which I should connect my cameras and then connect said switch straight to an NVR? Thank you very much, this is exactly what I've been looking for! Connecting them through an ethernet cable seems much more easier since I'm an IT tech so it's all a bit more familair 🙂

Thank you very much for the analog to UTP conversion idea too, great thinking to avoid too many cables and too much money spent while still having a great system in and outdoors!

Again, thanks a lot for your kind help! Your knowledge helped me a lot and now I feel like I'm ready to do what I wanted! Hope you have a very nice day!

Don't bother with analog unless using existing cables. Run UTP and put in IP

For value for money on a budget Hikvision or Dahua are same same but different. Uniview is close.

Generally cheapest to get an NVR and cameras in a kit for your budget

You can get NVRs with PoE on the onboard ports already.

You can get some smaller cheaper PTZ variants, however they are more expensive and a bit less reliable than a fixed camera. PTZs shine most when they are manned by an operator, however it can be handy to move on demand or change a view. Like checking on the dog or if someone is out the front.

For a domestic install if used it would typically be at most 1 or 2 in addition to fixed cameras. 

Typically you would mostly have wide angle fixed cameras to cover most sides of the house, possibly something tele in at a choke point, say a lane, gate, driveway or street to get better identification or vehicle plates/badges.

For your budget I would check what your local suppliers have on stock or special as that will determine what you can get. 

Pricing can be very sharp on what they have a pallet load of, but a special order because you want a specific model, not so much.

It can also be confusing that some models can be a lot more expensive while actually not being any better for their base video quality. Say there may be a model for twice the price with audio and better analytics, however everything else is identical. Also confusingly at times a higher end 4MP could be better than say a 6MP model if the 4MP has better lens, sensor and video processor.

There is also impressive low light sensors these days also.

Personally I like affordable wide angle turrets with IR in low light variants for this sort of install.