My first ever build. (Bitfenix Shinobi)

pewterdime_99

Hello everyone!

I'm fairly new to the PC world; I've been using an iMac for the last 6 years or so. Well it was on it's very last leg, and in looking at what computer to get next, I stumbled across the Newegg how-to-build-a-computer videos and I knew right then I wanted to build my next one myself! I've always loved the satisfaction you get using something you've built yourself and this experience has been no different. After doing tons of research and reading/watching lots of builds I dove into one myself. The computer itself will be an all around use computer. I do a little photo editing here and a little gaming there, nothing extreme in either category. 

Anyway, the specs are as follows:

Case: Bitfenix Shinobi Window (Mid-Tower size)

CPU: Intel i5-3570k

Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD65

GPU: EVGA GTX660 Superclocked Edition

PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 850W 80+ Gold

Memory: 16GB (4x4GB) G-Skill Ripjaw X 1600

CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i

Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD

Storage: x2 Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Fans: Bitfenix Spectre Pros (120mm and 140mm)

Fan Controller: Bitfenix Recon

Optical Drive LG Blu-ray reader/writer (Hidden behind the Bitfenix stealth drive cover)

Other: Bitfenix Alchemy Multisleeved Cable Extensions 

On to the pics!

IMG_20140308_163718_023.jpg

Getting Started

IMG_20140308_183510_567.jpg

Motherboard in.

IMG_20140308_193118_345.jpg

IMG_20140309_150549_037.jpg

IMG_20140309_161735_980.jpg

Starting the cable management

IMG_20140309_185825_710.jpg

Cable management done. Bottom left was a little cluttered for my liking, but i quickly figured out just how small a midtower case can be and this was about as good as it was gonna get.

IMG_20140317_232829_792.jpg

Up and running! This pic makes it looks very bright, but it's really not that bad.

IMG_20140317_232940_152.jpg

IMG_20140317_233533_803.jpg

IMG_20140317_233606_691.jpg

IMG_20140317_234122_269.jpg

With the side panel on.

IMG_20140317_234237_601.jpg

Front of the case look.

IMG_20140317_234644_335.jpg

With my new Rosewill RK-9100xB Apollo keyboard and Roccat Kova Mouse with Roccat Alumic mousepad.

Well I hope you guys like it! I know some of the hardware is last gen; I actually started purchasing parts for this in early 2013, but bills and other money blackholes forced me to put it on the back burner for a while. It will serve my purposes just fine for now. It was a heck of a lot of fun building this and my mind is already scheming on things I'd like to change/ other builds I'd like to do. I do plan to overclock it too, but I'm still a PC novice, and I want to do some more reading and research before I dive into that. 

Thanks for taking a look!

I like it! Pretty jelly actually, But my build will be done in time :D

Really like it actually. Simple and clean. One of the few first builds that is cable-managed well. :) 

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

Looks pretty magical.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Nice sleeved cables. They go really well with the motherboards blue.

BTW 404: Post(s) not found :D

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

That is really cool.

You could tighten up some of the wires, then it would look just perfect.

Potatoes are good for your nostrils.

Thanks everyone for all the kind words!

PassionFruit, I do want to tighten up some of the wires. My biggest complaint with the Shinobi case is the harddrive mounting. With the sata power and data cables facing inward, it really clutters everything up. I've thought about drilling the rivets out, and seeing if I could rotate it so the drive cabling faces the back of the case; or remove it completely and perhaps find an aftermarket drive cage that holds 3 or 4 drives to put in that spot.

Any suggestions?

Sweet! BTW this text is in a spoiler because Im trying to learn how to use this feature

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

That power supply kind of seems like overkill and you could have gotten a 4th gen i5 for 10 more dollars. 

Oh it's definitely overkill, but I stumbled upon it when a local computer repair shop that carried a few computer building supplies was going out of business. 60 bucks for it; brand new, unopened, 80+ gold, and semi modular. Couldn't pass that deal up.

And I know I could have gone with the 4th gen, but I've had the motherboard since before the 4th gen were released. I was getting all my parts for the build, when other expenses came up and I had to put the build on the back burner. I thought about selling the motherboard and getting a 4th gen i5 and compatible motherboard, but I liked this motherboard so i just stuck with the 3570k.

And big_lilo, I love your build! I've checked it out many times before! You really captured the clean lines of the Shinobi case on the inside. Yours rig is one i put in my inspirations for future goals and builds!

Lies! I have built many computers and can't get my cable management that good.

AMD FX-8350 @4.6GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 | Memory Corsair XMS3 16GB | R9 280x 3GB | WD Black 1TB | Samsung 120GB SSD | Corsair AX860 | Corsair H100i | NZXT Fan Controller | Asus VS247H-P x2

Hello everyone!

I'm fairly new to the PC world; I've been using an iMac for the last 6 years or so. Well it was on it's very last leg, and in looking at what computer to get next, I stumbled across the Newegg how-to-build-a-computer videos and I knew right then I wanted to build my next one myself!

When I read these two sentences, I was thinking, CURSE THIS RETCHED SOUL, and then I thought, good boy, good boy...

Pentium G3258, R9 270X, 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM, Windows 8.1, crappy EVGA 500W PSU