How much dust is normal?

drewtcjones

i have had my pc for about a month now and was looking at the dust build up and was wondering how much is normal. also is there a way that is the best to cool my rig? i have a define r4 with 2 sp120's in the front for intake and on the top i have 2 sp120s on my h100i for exhaust and the stock fan on the rear as exhaust. 

EDIT:

http://i.imgur.com/ki3zbBM.jpg <-- front panel dust (i dont think its that bad) when i moved the filter to my desk the dust on the lower fan cut-out blew off. so imagine there is as much dust on the bottom as there is on the top lol.

how often do you clean your computers? whats the best way to do so? i know linus has a video on it but maybe you guys have "tips".

i5-4670k, Asus VI Hero, Corsair Vengeance Pro Series Red 8GB (2x4GB) @1866 MHZ, EVGA GEFORCE 780 FTW w/ACX Cooler, Fractal Define R4 Windowed (Black-Pearl), Samsung Evo 250GB, WD 1tb Blue, EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650, Acer H236HL 23" x2, Corsair H100i, 2x Noctua NF-S12A, 2x Noctua NF-A14, Steelseries Apex, Logitech G602

This is..................nt normal 
PCP305.make1.dust_pc-578-80.jpg

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

This is..................nt normal PCP305.make1.dust_pc-578-80.jpg

Were you able to keep the giggles of disbelief inside in front of the client? ;)

And this is why you cant have nice things...

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

I recommend cleaning every 3-4months, at least that's how often I do it.
Dust = Higher temps + More noise

• CPU
    Intel Xeon E5 2695 V3 14c-28t @ 2,8GHz
  • Motherboard
    AsRock X99 mITX
  • RAM
    2x16GB DDR4 Crucial ECC @2166MHz
  • GPU
    XFX R9 Nano 4GB HBM @1000MHz
  • Case
    Silverstone Sugo SG-13
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 
  • Intel SSD DC S3600 800GB

i have had my pc for about a month now and was looking at the dust build up and was wondering how much is normal. also is there a way that is the best to cool my rig? i have a define r4 with 2 sp120's in the front for intake and on the top i have 2 sp120s on my h100i for exhaust and the stock fan on the rear as exhaust. 

EDIT:

http://i.imgur.com/ki3zbBM.jpg <-- front panel dust (i dont think its that bad) when i moved the filter to my desk the dust on the lower fan cut-out blew off. so imagine there is as much dust on the bottom as there is on the top lol.

how often do you clean your computers? whats the best way to do so? i know linus has a video on it but maybe you guys have "tips".

I have a define mini and until I got a Y Splitter for the front, it would take in quite alot of dust, but now it's barely any. Originally had one fan off mb header and the other under volted off a molex

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | Cooler: Stock | RAM: 16GB Hyper Fury X RGB | GPU: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Elite| PSU: Corsair RM850x
Storage: WD SN750 500GB / 850 500GB Samsung Evo /  | CASE: 570X | Display: Dell u2414h  | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: Corsair M65

For you, i would recommend cleaning your system out every month if that much dust has accumulated in a month. 

Just vacuum the filters off and use a can of compressed air for the inside.

i5 3570K | Gigabyte Z77-UD5H | Noctua NH-D14 | GTX 670 | 8GB DDR1600mhz G| 2x Kingston HyperX 120B SSD | WD Blue 1TB | EVGA 650w 80+ Gold | InWin GrOne | BitFenix Recon Fan Controller |

Thats rockwool to me. 

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

All of my crap is so low powered I let it get as dusty as it wants (up until 6 months to a year go by). Thankfully I don't live in a very dusty place.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

A light layer of dust is fine, but most people tend to be OCD over dust like me and tend to clean their computers every time there's only a little schmeckle of dust. With filters you can expect easily 6+ months before having to clean the inside of your computer. I haven't cleaned mine since I built it and its barely got a layer of dust on it now. Tho its good routine to clean it every 2-3 months at least to make sure everything stays clean.

It really depends on the environment in which you keep the pc, is it on the floor or the desk, do you have pets, etc... it all adds up.

I find that my pc gets quite dusty living in London and I like to have some windows open especially during summer (Woohoo!), its also kept on the floor. I normally get a can of air and blow out the fans, cooler, gpu and power supply every 1 or two months and wash the filters. This is mainly because I like a clean computer. It takes a few minutes on a lazy sunday and you have a clean pc... simples!

Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate Wants you! Join now!

UOLTT Basop | Misc Freelancer & Origin M50

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

-Groucho Marx

does that work?

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

EDIT:

For only 1 month of usage, that is a lot more dust than normal.  If you really accumulated that much dust from 1 month's time, you will want to clean your computer monthly.

Consider moving your computer to a place better ventilated?

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

For only 1 month of usage, that is a lot more dust than normal. If you really accumulated that much dust from 1 month's time, you will want to clean your computer monthly.

Consider moving your computer to a place better ventilated?

its on the floor now sitting on a short stand that is under my desk. Should I get it higher off of my floor?

i5-4670k, Asus VI Hero, Corsair Vengeance Pro Series Red 8GB (2x4GB) @1866 MHZ, EVGA GEFORCE 780 FTW w/ACX Cooler, Fractal Define R4 Windowed (Black-Pearl), Samsung Evo 250GB, WD 1tb Blue, EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650, Acer H236HL 23" x2, Corsair H100i, 2x Noctua NF-S12A, 2x Noctua NF-A14, Steelseries Apex, Logitech G602

That pic is too much dust for months use. I don't get that much on 6 months use. You might want to vacuum/clean your computer room weekly.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

its on the floor now sitting on a short stand that is under my desk. Should I get it higher off of my floor?

Yes, higher off the floor for starters, also clean and vacuum your room to get the surrounding area clean.  Looking at the picture again, that is way too much dust for just 1 months time on a brand new computer.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Yes, higher off the floor for starters, also clean and vacuum your room to get the surrounding area clean. Looking at the picture again, that is way too much dust for just 1 months time on a brand new computer.

weird, my room must be dusty haha I sweep frequently but I guess I'll do it more!

weird, my room must be dusty haha I sweep frequently but I guess I'll do it more!

sweep? no, no, no, no, vacuum!

That's what I meant haha

sweep? no, no, no, no, vacuum!

forgot to quote you ^