Windows driver updates are messing up my Amd driver for the 4650G

Ericarthurc
Go to solution Solved by JobinJames,
12 minutes ago, Phoinix said:

So I got my hands on an AMD 4650G and used DDU to wipe my system completely of all drivers. Then I installed the latest AMD driver (21.4.1); once I reboot back into Windows, Windows updates wants to update the AMD driver with its own.. and it jacks up the AMD driver I installed. I attached a picture of what happens after windows updates the driver.聽
For right now I put Windows update on hold for 7 days until I can sort this out. I have had to use DDU 4 times now... and even tried disabling windows auto updates in DDU but it didnt work.
Any one know of a solution.. super annoying

Also realized this should probably be in the CPU thread.. but it is an APU so.. haha 馃槃聽sneaky聽

Capture.PNG

Similar forced install happens in a laptop I have with a Zen series APU. You have to block Windows from updating the driver using Microsoft's own software called "wushowhide". You can specifically hide the AMD video driver update from Windows through this software. I can't find this software in the wild now but if you need it let me know. Maybe I can share it with you somehow.

So I got my hands on an AMD 4650G and used DDU to wipe my system completely of all drivers. Then I installed the latest AMD driver (21.4.1); once I reboot back into Windows, Windows updates wants to update the AMD driver with its own.. and it jacks up the AMD driver I installed. I attached a picture of what happens after windows updates the driver.聽
For right now I put Windows update on hold for 7 days until I can sort this out. I have had to use DDU 4 times now... and even tried disabling windows auto updates in DDU but it didnt work.

Also realized this should probably be in the CPU thread.. but it is an APU so.. haha 馃槃聽sneaky聽

Capture.PNG

Do you disconnect the computer from the internet before/after using DDU??? You should have the drivers downloaded before disconnecting from the Internet, use DDU and restart. Then log back in and install the drivers, reboot and reconnect to the Internet.聽

CPU Cooler Tier List|| Motherboard VRMs Tier List||Motherboard Beep & POST Codes|| Graphics Card Tier List||PSU Tier List

Main System Specifications:聽

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||聽聽CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler||聽RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18聽 ||Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570聽 ||聽聽SSD: Samsung 970聽EVO聽1TB聽M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)||聽聽HDD:聽2X Western Digital聽Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)聽 ||GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT聽 || 聽PSU: EVGA P2 1600W聽 ||聽聽Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow||聽聽Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE聽RGB聽 ||聽聽Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky聽Switches聽 || 聽Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL||聽聽Monitor:ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34"聽

1 minute ago, SpiderMan said:

Do you disconnect the computer from the internet before/after using DDU??? You should have the drivers downloaded before disconnecting from the Internet, use DDU and restart. Then log back in and install the drivers, reboot and reconnect to the Internet.聽

I did the whole process in safe mode with networking disabled. Once I get back into normal windows mode, windows update starts installing the amd driver

2 minutes ago, Phoinix said:

I did the whole process in safe mode with networking disabled. Once I get back into normal windows mode, windows update starts installing the amd driver

No, after you reboot, Windows will still be connected to the Internet and see that the drivers are not installed, with Windows Update automatically installing drivers (from somewhere) that may/may not be compatible. You still have to unplug after Safe Mode (just use regular Safe Mode). Disconnect the Ethernet cable or disconnect from the Wi-Fi and uncheck [Connect automatically] to prevent Windows from connecting to the Wi-FI automatically after DDU.聽

EDIT: This will force Windows to use the basic display drivers.聽

Edited by SpiderMan
Added information.

CPU Cooler Tier List|| Motherboard VRMs Tier List||Motherboard Beep & POST Codes|| Graphics Card Tier List||PSU Tier List

Main System Specifications:聽

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||聽聽CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler||聽RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18聽 ||Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570聽 ||聽聽SSD: Samsung 970聽EVO聽1TB聽M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)||聽聽HDD:聽2X Western Digital聽Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)聽 ||GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT聽 || 聽PSU: EVGA P2 1600W聽 ||聽聽Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow||聽聽Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE聽RGB聽 ||聽聽Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky聽Switches聽 || 聽Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL||聽聽Monitor:ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34"聽

2 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

No, after you reboot, Windows will still be connected to the Internet and see that the drivers are not installed, with Windows Update automatically installing drivers (from somewhere) that may/may not be compatible. You still have to unplug after Safe Mode (just use regular Safe Mode). Disconnect the Ethernet cable or disconnect from the Wi-Fi and uncheck [Connect automatically] to prevent Windows from connecting to the Wi-FI automatically after DDU.聽

EDIT: This will force Windows to use the basic display drivers.聽

Okay I will give it a shot

thank you

12 minutes ago, Phoinix said:

Capture.PNG

Similar forced install happens in a laptop I have with a Zen series APU. You have to block Windows from updating the driver using Microsoft's own software called "wushowhide". You can specifically hide the AMD video driver update from Windows through this software. I can't find this software in the wild now but if you need it let me know. Maybe I can share it with you somehow.

49 minutes ago, JobinJames said:

Windows still continues to try and install the AMD driver, no matter what. Once I connect to the internet it starts installing it. So I found "wushowhide" and that seemed to do the trick; thank you.