Cooling Updates - AIOs to Air Cooling

CC268

Hey guys,

It's been years since I've paid much attention to PC components. I currently have NZXT X61 (CPU) and x41 (GPU) AIO coolers. They are approaching 6 years old and my GPU temps are starting to be abnormally high. I should mention that I really don't game anymore. In fact, my desktop has really just become a "cool" looking web browser haha. Here is my build (some of the SSDs have been updates, not that it matters): https://pcpartpicker.com/b/bcnnTW

That said, I think it would be good to switch back over to the stock MSI GPU air cooler and then possibly upgrade the CPU cooler to a Noctua NH-D15 (I assume this will fit in my Fractal Design Define S Mid Tower?). 

I guess my questions are:

1. Is the Noctua NH-D15 my best bet for an air cooler? (i5-6600K)

2. I plan to just go back to the stock MSI GPU air cooler, but I suppose I am open to suggestions. Again I don't game at all anymore. (MSI 980TI)

3. Any suggestions on good case fans and the most optimal setup? (2-3 fans up front, one in the rear, and 2-3 up top?, 120 vs 140mm?)

Thanks!

| Intel i5-6600K | NZXT Kraken X61 | MSI GTX 980TI | NZXT Kraken X41 | ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Hero Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000 16GB | 

|Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | EVGA SuperNova G2 850W | Fractal Design Define S |

An NH-D15 is probably the best air cooler you can get right now, but it's completely overkill for that CPU. I'd step down to something like a NH-U12S or NH-U9S and save some cash personally.

Going back to the stock MSI cooler on your GPU should be fine, you can get aftermarket air coolers for some GPUs but I don't really see the point, especially if you aren't gaming anymore.

For fans, if you have 140mm slots, I'd use 140mm fans there, and 2 in the front and 1 in the rear should be plenty given your setup. NF-A14s and NF-A12s are great if you want silence and don't mind the looks and the price, and I've heard many great things about the Arctic P12 and P14 fans if you are on more of a budget and don't mind a bit of extra noise.

rhythm games are best fight me

4 hours ago, CC268 said:

Hey guys,

It's been years since I've paid much attention to PC components. I currently have NZXT X61 (CPU) and x41 (GPU) AIO coolers. They are approaching 6 years old and my GPU temps are starting to be abnormally high. I should mention that I really don't game anymore. In fact, my desktop has really just become a "cool" looking web browser haha. Here is my build (some of the SSDs have been updates, not that it matters): https://pcpartpicker.com/b/bcnnTW

That said, I think it would be good to switch back over to the stock MSI GPU air cooler and then possibly upgrade the CPU cooler to a Noctua NH-D15 (I assume this will fit in my Fractal Design Define S Mid Tower?). 

I guess my questions are:

1. Is the Noctua NH-D15 my best bet for an air cooler? (i5-6600K)

2. I plan to just go back to the stock MSI GPU air cooler, but I suppose I am open to suggestions. Again I don't game at all anymore. (MSI 980TI)

3. Any suggestions on good case fans and the most optimal setup? (2-3 fans up front, one in the rear, and 2-3 up top?, 120 vs 140mm?)

Thanks!

Have you tried a re-TIM of the cooler?
That could bring temps down some witout having to buy another cooler.

As for the NH-D15 I'd have to say get it if you really want to get another cooler. Nothing wrong with having a good one vs one that just doesn't cut it.
Not to mention you can always use it later on another build too if you want.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

As always, thanks for the feedback! I ordered an NH-D15 (I realize it’s way overkill haha) and some NF-A14s. Got chromax in both so it should actually look pretty good.

| Intel i5-6600K | NZXT Kraken X61 | MSI GTX 980TI | NZXT Kraken X41 | ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Hero Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000 16GB | 

|Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | EVGA SuperNova G2 850W | Fractal Design Define S |