GT 1030 2GB Vs. AMD RX 550 4GB, Which to buy?

Mario5
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

Yeah, plus having 4 GB of VRAM is much better, a lot of games these days use more than 2 GB of VRAM even at 1080p, so when the game constantly has to shuffle data between video card and ram, you'll get less frames per second

The RX 550 also has a hardware encoder and decoder, while GT 1030 has hardware encoder disabled. So, the RX 550 would be usable for streaming games (using AMF in OBS) but if you do, you should probably keep it at 720p or something like that, to get consistent 25-30 fps.

I will be buying a PC soon and i have 2 options: RX 550 4GB or nvidia 1030 2GB. (the pcs are the same price) The gpu will be paired with a i5 3gen. What pc should i buy? 

The rx 550 is more powerful by a large margin

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

Yeah, plus having 4 GB of VRAM is much better, a lot of games these days use more than 2 GB of VRAM even at 1080p, so when the game constantly has to shuffle data between video card and ram, you'll get less frames per second

The RX 550 also has a hardware encoder and decoder, while GT 1030 has hardware encoder disabled. So, the RX 550 would be usable for streaming games (using AMF in OBS) but if you do, you should probably keep it at 720p or something like that, to get consistent 25-30 fps.

thank you!!!

6 minutes ago, mariushm said:

14 minutes ago, mariushm said:

The RX 550 also has a hardware encoder and decoder

AMD Encoding Engine is hot trash, but RX550 is way faster than 1030 its a null point for Hardware Acceleration. I would go for the 5500XT if you can find one, but with GPU market being as is, OP might have issue finding one on stock.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.