Building first PC please help

Go to solution Solved by TudorF,
7 hours ago, john salchichon said:

a question, will B560 be a bad investment? or does it still make sense, isay because i have no money for 11600k and Z590 board, i should choose whether, 11400 with B560, 11400 with Z590 or 11600k with B560.

Because of my budget.

I'm kinda in the same boat as you right now. I'm trying to make a budget build and stay within 1000 bucks.

It all depends on whether you're hoping to add a cheaper older GPU or not, because only those are still available at a price that is not completely out of whack.

Also it depends if you want to avoid a CPU that has a good performance, but at the cost of being highly inefficient in terms of used power (performance / watts).

The 11600K is a great choice if:

- you have a tight budget, but want as much performance from a CPU as possible

- do not plan to get a GPU, because the budget is too low for that

- do not care much about power consumption

If power consumption is a factor in your choice, I cannot recommend the 11600k, it's very inefficient in terms of how much power it uses to get that performance. It uses double the electricity in Watts to get a performance comparable to Ryzen 5 5600X. Just look at this:

power.png

In this review, they compared Ryzen 5 5600X with 11600K and the previous generation 10600K. Overall the Ryzen and the Intel's 11th generation performed quite close, in some tasks the Ryzen came ahead, in others the Intel came on top. So it can be said that they're competing quite close in terms of performance. But at what cost? At the cost of Intel's 11600K using DOUBLE the power in Watts. That's insanely inefficient.

It is true that the 11600K looks now like a good choice because of scalpers, who make the Ryzen artificially scarce on the market, driving its price up. But the fact remains that for a difference in price of like a few tens of bucks, if you get the 11600K you're stuck with a long-term higher cost in power consumption that will go way over a few tens of bucks in time.

If you are planning on adding a GPU at some time, but you first want to have a computer that can output graphics, imo, the 11400 and 11500 are much better value in terms of price / performance / power consumption. These can use a B560 motherboard, as they don't need overclocking, and those mobos are much cheaper than those based on the Z590 chip. Do not buy a Z590 motherboard if you don't get an Intel CPU with the K version for overclocking. It's a waste of money.

Budget (including currency): $800 dolars

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: animation, gaming

Other details 

I want to buy everything from amazon, without gpu to buy gpu later. Dolars are with fees and shipping.

CPU: intel core i5 11600k ($327) 

Mother Board:  ASUS prime B560 PLUS ($153) 

RAM:   CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3600 (PC4-28800) C20 1.35V ($135) 

CPU COOLER:  be quiet! Pure Rock 2 ($45) 

thermal compound:  Artix mx-4grams ($13)

storage: crucial p5 SSD 500gb ($82)

Case:  Darkflash Aquarius Atx ($56)

PSU : this one i have no clue what i need. does this work? Thermaltake Smart 500W ($70)

suggestions?

@john salchichon

You're paying for the K version of 11600, which is meant for overclocking, but that motherboard doesn't allow overclocking.

Only boards based on the Z590 chipset allow overclocking for the 11th generation of Intel CPUs, afaik.

21 hours ago, TudorF said:

@john salchichon

You're paying for the K version of 11600, which is meant for overclocking, but that motherboard doesn't allow overclocking.

Only boards based on the Z590 chipset allow overclocking for the 11th generation of Intel CPUs, afaik.

thx! i was looking also Z590 has better compatibolity with 11th gen.

20 hours ago, Crafter King said:

No need of thermal compound as now it comes with pre applied thermal paste on stock and any cooler.

THX! any suggestions about the PSU?? is 500w enough?

21 hours ago, TudorF said:

@john salchichon

a question, will B560 be a bad investment? or does it still make sense, isay because i have no money for 11600k and Z590 board, i should choose whether, 11400 with B560, 11400 with Z590 or 11600k with B560.

Because of my budget.

41 minutes ago, john salchichon said:

THX! any suggestions about the PSU?? is 500w enough?

500watt will be enough if you are going for graphics card in future then 550 or 600 watt will do(get a 80 plus bronze psu) and go with 11400 and b560 as it is budget build.

Because of my budget.

I'm kinda in the same boat as you right now. I'm trying to make a budget build and stay within 1000 bucks.

It all depends on whether you're hoping to add a cheaper older GPU or not, because only those are still available at a price that is not completely out of whack.

Also it depends if you want to avoid a CPU that has a good performance, but at the cost of being highly inefficient in terms of used power (performance / watts).

The 11600K is a great choice if:

- you have a tight budget, but want as much performance from a CPU as possible

- do not plan to get a GPU, because the budget is too low for that

- do not care much about power consumption

If power consumption is a factor in your choice, I cannot recommend the 11600k, it's very inefficient in terms of how much power it uses to get that performance. It uses double the electricity in Watts to get a performance comparable to Ryzen 5 5600X. Just look at this:

power.png

In this review, they compared Ryzen 5 5600X with 11600K and the previous generation 10600K. Overall the Ryzen and the Intel's 11th generation performed quite close, in some tasks the Ryzen came ahead, in others the Intel came on top. So it can be said that they're competing quite close in terms of performance. But at what cost? At the cost of Intel's 11600K using DOUBLE the power in Watts. That's insanely inefficient.

It is true that the 11600K looks now like a good choice because of scalpers, who make the Ryzen artificially scarce on the market, driving its price up. But the fact remains that for a difference in price of like a few tens of bucks, if you get the 11600K you're stuck with a long-term higher cost in power consumption that will go way over a few tens of bucks in time.

If you are planning on adding a GPU at some time, but you first want to have a computer that can output graphics, imo, the 11400 and 11500 are much better value in terms of price / performance / power consumption. These can use a B560 motherboard, as they don't need overclocking, and those mobos are much cheaper than those based on the Z590 chip. Do not buy a Z590 motherboard if you don't get an Intel CPU with the K version for overclocking. It's a waste of money.

Because of my budget.

I would say to go for the 11400 with the b560 board for better value.

12 hours ago, Crafter King said:

500watt will be enough if you are going for graphics card in future then 550 or 600 watt will do(get a 80 plus bronze psu) and go with 11400 and b560 as it is budget build.

I disagree. I think he needs a minimum of 650 watts to get a decent current-gen video card when the market stabilizes.

Gaming PC:

CPU- Intel Core i5-10400 (planning to upgrade when Alder Lake releases)

CPU Cooler- be quiet! Dark Rock Slim up to 180W TDP

Motherboard- Asus ROG Strix B460-h Gaming

Memory- Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000 CL15 memory

Storage- Crucial P2 1TB M.2-NVME SSD up to 2400 MB/s 

Video Card- MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3060 Ti OC

PC Chassis- Cooler Master TD500 MESH ARGB with Controller

Power Supply- EVGA 650w P2 (planning to upgrade to EVGA 80+ Gold 1k watts)

Rear Fan- Touchaqua Bitspower Notos RGB fan

Monitor- Acer EI272UR 2560x1440 144hz 4ms Radeon Freesync monitor

Keyboard- Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum

Mouse- Logitech G203 Lightsync (planning to upgrade to g502 HERO)

Controller- Xbox One Wireless Controller - Red 

LaptopProcessor- Ryzen 7 4700U (8c/8t up to 4.1Ghz) with Radeon graphics, 16GB DDR4-3200 memory, 512 NVME SSD