Running process on second GPU

Sofia99

Hi!

I have two gpus, one is GTX 980 and second is GTX 650, I'm looking for solution to run specific process for example: Chrome or Minecraft on 650. I use only one monitor.

I was looking to set that in windows advanced graphics settings but it only shows 980 as an option:

image.png.8a0b44cbb16be1f2642a2b591107643b.png

(second one is pover saving, third is max performance) 

However, both gpus are visible in Nvidia Control Panel, but I don't have option to choose one, I can only change cuda and opengl setting in specific program to 650 but it's not doing anything. Thank you in advance! 

3 minutes ago, Sofia99 said:

Hi!

I have two gpus, one is GTX 980 and second is GTX 650, I'm looking for solution to run specific process for example: Chrome or Minecraft on 650. I use only one monitor.

I was looking to set that in windows advanced graphics settings but it only shows 980 as an option:

However, both gpus are visible in Nvidia Control Panel, but I don't have option to choose one, I can only change cuda and opengl setting in specific program to 650 but it's not doing anything. Thank you in advance! 

if you right click on the app you want to open you can select what gpu to use

2 minutes ago, PatrikYT_98 said:

if you right click on the app you want to open you can select what gpu to use

Yes I can, but I need to set it to process that starts automatically from another program 

Just now, Sofia99 said:

Yes I can, but I need to set it to process that starts automatically from another program 

hmmm... i don't know how to do that. SORRY

9 minutes ago, PatrikYT_98 said:

hmmm... i don't know how to do that. SORRY

However, it's only let me choose which gpu will render OpenGL, that's don't change anything in fx. gta v, which runs always on 980 even when I set it to 650. 

image.png.690013b9136a24d594333d30e9ca4f2f.png

4 hours ago, Sofia99 said:

Hi!

4 hours ago, Sofia99 said:

However, it's only let me choose which gpu will render OpenGL, that's don't change anything in fx. gta v, which runs always on 980 even when I set it to 650. 

image.png.690013b9136a24d594333d30e9ca4f2f.png

You can't do that... It's not possible to make a GPU run another task at the same time.This whole thread is going to pointless since it's not possible.

Especially if you are trying to do tasks as insignificant as having a gpu run chrome and the other run games,even if it worked it would create screen tearing,lag and unbearable overhead.

17 hours ago, Cheburek said:

You can't do that... It's not possible to make a GPU run another task at the same time.This whole thread is going to pointless since it's not possible.

Especially if you are trying to do tasks as insignificant as having a gpu run chrome and the other run games,even if it worked it would create screen tearing,lag and unbearable overhead.

I already did it on onboard gpu and worked just fine.

Just now, Sofia99 said:

I already did it on onboard gpu and worked just fine.

But you can't do it at the same time,on a laptop you can make the onboard run basic tasks and then turn on the dedicated when something more demanding happens.

Wait a second...you want to do this?It's completely pointless,why would you even want to do that?It helps with nothing.

34 minutes ago, Cheburek said:

But you can't do it at the same time,on a laptop you can make the onboard run basic tasks and then turn on the dedicated when something more demanding happens.

Wait a second...you want to do this?It's completely pointless,why would you even want to do that?It helps with nothing.

Why I can't do it at the same time? I was using chrome on onboard gpu while playing in GTA on other.

2 hours ago, Sofia99 said:

Why I can't do it at the same time? I was using chrome on onboard gpu while playing in GTA on other.

Well that's not what happening.If you have just one monitor then the moment you open GTA both GTA and chrome will use the Gtx 980.

46 minutes ago, Cheburek said:

Well that's not what happening.If you have just one monitor then the moment you open GTA both GTA and chrome will use the Gtx 980.

Windows Task Manager showed use on Intel HD and 980 at the same time. One was using cpu0 and another cpu1. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2021 at 10:40 PM, Sofia99 said:

I found a solution, in new windows 10 preview update is an option to set specific GPU to app. 

Hi!
Can you please elaborate or give a very short guide on how you managed to do it? 😮

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |