HDMI 15m/50ft

Cflorin
Go to solution Solved by dkoudijs,

I ran a long hdmi cable through the house for 5 years, and the card is still kicking. (PC in basement, tv in living room)

The cable was 50 feet, and I still use it when going to conventions/presentations etc.

So yes it could cause a heat/degregation issue but really if your card is getting extra power from the PSU, and not all from the PIC rails it would be fine.

Also I would be more worried about the USB speeds more than anything.

I'm not an engineer, just a dude with some expericance.

Hi guys, My name is Florin, i am new to this forum, i am not a noob but not a pro either.

The issue i have is as follows

I recently moved my nas and my work/lite gaming rig ( there are 2 pc's) in another building about 10 meters from my garage/service. To be able to use the work/lite gaming pc from the service, i bought a couple of 15m long cables : usb for keyboard an mouse, hdmi and ethernet. i know that there are much better solutions (i watched Linus's video about his and hers workstation and i cannot afford the cost so i opted for this solution.

everything is working properly for now but after the modifications i made, I watched a few more videos and now I am worried that the HDMI solution i implemented is not ok for long term, at least there were conflicting information in various videos/comments on the internet. 

My fear is that the HDMI port on my graphics card will fail due to the long distance/stress over time.

to be clear the part i used is the following : https://www.emag.ro/cablu-profesional-hdmi-2-0-tesatura-din-nylon-negru-metalizat-tata-tata-arc-4k-si-60hz-15-metri-vention-vaa-b05-b1500/pd/D2W013MBM/   - i must specify that the cable was branded with "ethernet" but i don't know what exactly that means... 

I did not find a description of the cable i bought on the manufacturers website so i hope that the link from the store i bought the cable will help the ones who posses the knowledge to give me an answer

the monitor is : https://eu.aoc.com/en/gaming-monitors/24g2u5-bk

GPU : AMD Radeon R7 370  - I know... weak but i only play CS:GO in between fixing cars 🙂 in an auto workshop

If the cable is not really stretch out to the point where the cable is tense there's no problems with that , but if you still think it may fail sometimes just because the stress then, just buy a longer one, hdmi can carry 4k60 over 20m with good quality cable...

But I'm not really sure about the usb, because usb 3.0 only be able to transfer about 5 meter after that you basically get both, signal and power degradation...

But since you already bought it, just try them first and if it works, it works

01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 00110111 00110000 00100000 01101001 01101110 01100011 01101000 00100000 01110000 01101100 01100001 01110011 01101101 01100001 00100000 01110011 01100011 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101110 00100000 01110100 01110110

Audio Interface I/O LIST v2

ok,

this is a video that had me worried. i know that there are a lot of differences between AV recievers and GPUs but if someone on this forum had an issue with a setup similar to mine i would like to prevent a fried hdmi port or GPU

19 hours ago, Liam danu said:

If the cable is not really stretch out to the point where the cable is tense there's no problems with that , but if you still think it may fail sometimes just because the stress then, just buy a longer one, hdmi can carry 4k60 over 20m with good quality cable...

But I'm not really sure about the usb, because usb 3.0 only be able to transfer about 5 meter after that you basically get both, signal and power degradation...

But since you already bought it, just try them first and if it works, it works

Well by stress i ment the stress of the gpu if signal boosting is need for that distance, and for usb, I used a usb2 "active" extender cable connected to a usb 3 port and on the other side i have connected a usb 3 hub and connected both the keyboard and mouse wireless dongles to it and they work normaly...

i will post a few pics just to make some of you laugh

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-29 at 13.37.08.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-29 at 12.05.22 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-29 at 12.05.22 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-29 at 12.05.22.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-29 at 13.45.59.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-29 at 18.42.24.jpeg

Just now, tkitch said:

... holy crap!  You get props for that level of rigging.  I'm impressed!

thanks, it was the best i could do with that cable length... btw, you cannot see in the picture but the longer pipe between the roofs is secured with a anchor to prevent from bending, that's why you can see the plastic straps (they are UV resistant or so the manufacturer claims..)

i will post more relevant pictures after spring cleaning... it is a messy background. please share an opinion for the modified/janky ups setup (APC 1000 Smartups with 2 BMW AGM 80 A batteries - they hold about 4 hours the nas and pc 

I ran a long hdmi cable through the house for 5 years, and the card is still kicking. (PC in basement, tv in living room)

The cable was 50 feet, and I still use it when going to conventions/presentations etc.

So yes it could cause a heat/degregation issue but really if your card is getting extra power from the PSU, and not all from the PIC rails it would be fine.

4 hours ago, dkoudijs said:

Thanks, your input helps a lot. Regarding the usb, the response time for the mouse and keybord are ok, i will not use it for file transfers because i can go plug the devices directly into the pc if needed. The reason for this modification was that in the workshop is a lot of dust and in the summer temps reach 35 °C and more but in the other space it is a pleasant 20° so dust and temps problems solved 😁