New Nintendo 3DS XL keeps freezing while running games

WhitetailAni

I have a New Nintendo 3DS XL. I really only play two games on it - Bravely Default and Bravely Second.

I'm currently abusing Prince of Thieves on a Snowcap Ba'al to get a bunch of Unearthly Buns to max out my character's stats. However, after awhile, the console will freeze and I'll have to fully power it off.

It first happened with Bravely Default (which I have on a card), so I thought some contacts disconnected since it's been a bit flaky recently. I haven't cleaned out the cartridge slot ever though, so I should probably do that.

Once it started happening with Bravely Second (which is downloaded and on the console's memory), I got a bit worried. It's at irregular intervals (it happened twice in 10 minutes, but then ran for 2 hours without freezing until I got home and closed the console), and there's no correlation between what triggers it. First time it happened (Bravely Second) I was walking on the world map, first time it triggered in Bravely Second was in the middle of stealing 2 Unearthly Buns, second time it triggered while walking on my bath/ship.

Does anyone know what could cause it? I do have a Micro-SD card in, but I've never actually seen it and I don't know what's on it.

All advice is appreciated!

elephants

First I'd check the battery isn't slightly loose, and take the SD card out while you have the back off. SD card seems an unlikely culprit if the game isn't running off it, but it's quick and free to try. I'd also try another game. A quick google suggests that random crashes are not unheard of on the two Bravely games, you're 3DS might be fine. 

If you still have a problem, make sure you know your Nintendo Network ID and password and try a factory reset link 

If none of that fixes it, it will likely need more major surgery. Could be a loose connection, could be a chip dying. If you're comfortable taking it apart you might spot something obvious, or you could swap out the Main board with one from a 'spares or repairs' console. Personally though, taking the 3DS looks super fiddly, and as someone who will happily take apart the home consoles and the Game Boy line up, I wouldn't. I would say get another one, but I've just checked, and in the UK at least they are surprisingly expensive 🤯 

I'll look at it, thank you!
I haven't experienced any more crashes after I accidentally dropped it twice, so maybe something was loose and the drops fixed it, but if I do get anymore crashes I'll update you.

I'm hoping that I don't need to get a new 3DS since I've invested 300 hours into a digital game on here.

elephants