Which to choose for Privacy/Security

Hello Everyone,

Not sure if this is where to ask this but figured here is better than nothing.

I'm contemplating a way to slowly move myself and my wife off the Google ecosystem and self host things on a FOSS environment such as nextCloud.

One area however I'm not sure which is best is to either host my own email on something like "The Helm" or to pay for secure and private email through something like ProtonMail.

I'm aware of self hosting limitations and the fact that it's my internet goes out then we won't receive emails ect. But I'm looking at these options to remove myself from the big tech ecosystems and try to real in Privacy and Security for my family.

Any input or suggestions would be great. Looking forward to hearing others thoughts.

~~DJ

Unless you have experience hosting this stuff I would strongly recommend paying for Proton.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

7 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Unless you have experience hosting this stuff I would strongly recommend paying for Proton.

That was one side I thought about. However I heard good things about helm being user friendly. However I don't mind tinkering and I have some experience with playing around with stuff like MotionEyeOS ect.  So part of me wants Helm just to be able to self host because I enjoy that side of things. But yes something like Proton would have a nearly 100% uptime.

11 minutes ago, Seacoast said:

That was one side I thought about. However I heard good things about helm being user friendly. However I don't mind tinkering and I have some experience with playing around with stuff like MotionEyeOS ect.  So part of me wants Helm just to be able to self host because I enjoy that side of things. But yes something like Proton would have a nearly 100% uptime.

Well there's more beyond just the uptime. If you self-hosted you'd have to factor in costs of the server, the electricity it uses, whether the heat and noise will affect you, if you have space for it, etc. And even beyond that, you'd have to do a lot of research on properly securing it.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Well there's more beyond just the uptime. If you self-hosted you'd have to factor in costs of the server, the electricity it uses, whether the heat and noise will affect you, if you have space for it, etc. And even beyond that, you'd have to do a lot of research on properly securing it.

All great factors. I suppose I didn't think of cost, electric/noise as my current set primary computer area is in the basement away from the Mrs and kids. The big area I see is the properly securing it. I suppose on this area it's almost worth going with something like Proton whose product is privacy and security.  Thier business is knowing how to protect those things.

Helm is more expensive year to year, however my Data would be secured inside my network and not elsewhere. This is more Private but if not don't properly maybe not as secured.