Building a Gaming Computer

Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
1 minute ago, Caesium_132 said:

You are basically entirely wrong here.

The 9th gen 9700k is only an 8core/8thread cpu which is already being used to near 100% in a fair few games already and will not be enough the moment the ps5 and xbox series become the only developed for consoles. Hence why the 10700 is the better cpu.

I didn't include a ocable cpu because it's SO MUCH CHEAPER and overclocking by now is so severely limited due to the chips already running at nearly their max frequency that any oc you get will be very little and not worth the investment.

Sure a 9700k can run at 5ghz with a bit of luck and be a little better than a 10700 but the 10700 will still by far be the better cpu.

Also the 10700 by no means will hold a 3060 back. So if you go for a 9700k you get a worse cpu that is borderline enough for gaming instead of just getting a system that will last for a good few years.

So i'm building a gaming pc and while going through research i found this forum, i'm quite new so sorry if this is in the wrong place but it seemed correct.
Can anyone give me advice on the computer build i'm making?

CPU: Intel i7-9700K

Mbd: msi Z390 Gaming plus
CPU fan: Vetroo V5

Ram: Corsair vengeance 3600Mhz

GPU: i currently have a three fan ROG Strix 3060, however i also have a palit storm X and a dual available (all 3060s)

SSD(m.2): Adata XPG SX8200 1TB

PSU: 700W power supply (i'd assume brand isn't the most important in this one)

Case: Corsair spec delta

my budget is currently £1500

does this seem a decent build?

Why such an old system?

This is not a good computer compared to what is available right now.

Psu is pretty much THE MOST IMPORTANT PART in your system. It literally makes or brakes your computer.

This is a cheaper better and smaller computer

12 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Why such an old system?

This is my first ever time trying to build a pc, the i7 9th gen is still very powerful, and i'm not planning to do anything extreme on this pc, mostly just 1080p or rarely 4K gaming with friends, i mostly searched for parts on 

Motherboard ASRock B460M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard £87.48 @ CCL Computers

in response to the motherboard, this particular one doesn't allow for overclocking, this means it's most likely i could do more on an overclocked 9th gen, is this logic correct or am i misunderstanding?

Jaslion made a decent build with some minor flaws. First things first, with a 1500 budget you could probably get a 10850k and a z590 board, although if you can’t a 10700k and z590 will be enough, as he listed. Second, the cooler that you listed (the Vetroo V5) is much better and newer than the Hyper 212 listed by the other. Pretty much any decent 3200 or 3600mhz kit works for what you want, and the cases listed by both of you are decent. Personally, I prefer a good old fashioned P360a or P400a myself but that’s neither here nor there.

The storage you both listed is decent for gaming, with the SX 8200 taking the win. However I would recommend something like a SN750 or 970 EVO or EVO plus if you can get it on sale (preferably around a terabyte) alongside a 2tb HDD (or larger if you want). As far as that goes, Seagate Barracuda, WD Blue, and Toshiba X300 all work well for that (my personal favorite is the Toshiba one)

The GPU you already have is decent but there are much better options available. Personally, with your budget, I would try to get either a decently cheap 3060Ti or 3070. Possibly a 6700 XT, 6800, or 6800 XT depending on if you want ray tracing or not. Keep in mind that prices on amazon and eBay or whatever are usually from resellers and you should definitely check MSRP for a specific card.

last thing to address is your PSU comment: the brand and specific model absolutely does matter. Some PSUs (like the Seasonic Focus series) are absolutely top notch, the best in the business. Others, like most ARESgame PSUs are known for literally exploding. Check out the PSUCultist tier list for a handy little guide on what to get.

edit: Also there’s usually no reason not to get the newest stuff, especially in the tech business where used parts are rarely cheaper than new ones.

1 minute ago, Caesium_132 said:

The 9th gen 9700k is only an 8core/8thread cpu which is already being used to near 100% in a fair few games already and will not be enough the moment the ps5 and xbox series become the only developed for consoles. Hence why the 10700 is the better cpu.

I didn't include a ocable cpu because it's SO MUCH CHEAPER and overclocking by now is so severely limited due to the chips already running at nearly their max frequency that any oc you get will be very little and not worth the investment.

Sure a 9700k can run at 5ghz with a bit of luck and be a little better than a 10700 but the 10700 will still by far be the better cpu.

Also the 10700 by no means will hold a 3060 back. So if you go for a 9700k you get a worse cpu that is borderline enough for gaming instead of just getting a system that will last for a good few years.

3 minutes ago, TitanMaster57 said:

Jaslion made a decent build with some minor flaws. First things first, with a 1500 budget you could probably get a 10850k and a z590 board, although if you can’t a 10700k and z590 will be enough, as he listed. Second, the cooler that you listed (the Vetroo V5) is much better and newer than the Hyper 212 listed by the other. Pretty much any decent 3200 or 3600mhz kit works for what you want, and the cases listed by both of you are decent. Personally, I prefer a good old fashioned P360a or P400a myself but that’s neither here nor there.

The storage you both listed is decent for gaming, with the SX 8200 taking the win. However I would recommend something like a SN750 or 970 EVO or EVO plus if you can get it on sale (preferably around a terabyte) alongside a 2tb HDD (or larger if you want). As far as that goes, Seagate Barracuda, WD Blue, and Toshiba X300 all work well for that (my personal favorite is the Toshiba one)

The GPU you already have is decent but there are much better options available. Personally, with your budget, I would try to get either a decently cheap 3060Ti or 3070. Possibly a 6700 XT, 6800, or 6800 XT depending on if you want ray tracing or not. Keep in mind that prices on amazon and eBay or whatever are usually from resellers and you should definitely check MSRP for a specific card.

last thing to address is your PSU comment: the brand and specific model absolutely does matter. Some PSUs (like the Seasonic Focus series) are absolutely top notch, the best in the business. Others, like most ARESgame PSUs are known for literally exploding. Check out the PSUCultist tier list for a handy little guide on what to get.

The sx8200 is a sketchy drive as there are now 6 versions of it out all with different hardware and speeds. So that is why it is now listed as a do not buy as you simply do not know what drive you are getting.

I got the 212 because it's cheap and the 10700 doesn't need more.

Also no need for a very fast nvme drive as their speed is simply not used.

Why make them buy a different card? Especially now.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Though a lot of your points are technically correct, you didn’t provide good reasoning for why they are. See my edit in my last post in this thread.

5 minutes ago, TitanMaster57 said:

The GPU you already have is decent but there are much better options available. Personally, with your budget, I would try to get either a decently cheap 3060Ti or 3070. Possibly a 6700 XT, 6800, or 6800 XT

ok, in response to this, i have looked far and wide, the 3060Ti and the 3070 are my entire budget

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

The 9th gen 9700k is only an 8core/8thread cpu which is already being used to near 100% in a fair few games already and will not be enough the moment the ps5 and xbox series become the only developed for consoles. Hence why the 10700 is the better cpu

Am I missing something? There's a ton of games that don't even use 6 cores, let alone 8, and 6 core is pretty much enough for any game, except maybe heavily AI driven ones like Civ 6 where it's the more cores the better.

I don't understand your point about the next gen consoles, either, because those are all 8 core, so how is that going to create problems if your PC only has 8 cores?

Edit: Oh. Is it the no SMT?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Just now, jaslion said:

The sx8200 is a sketchy drive as there are now 6 versions of it out all with different hardware and speeds. So that is why it is now listed as a do not buy as you simply do not know what drive you are getting.

I got the 212 because it's cheap and the 10700 doesn't need more.

Also no need for a very fast nvme drive as their speed is simply not used.

Why make them buy a different card? Especially now.

Yeah and I told them to get a different drive than the SX 8200 anyways. I’ve owned Adata drives. I know how much they can suck.

for not $10 more, the Vetroo V5 is a much better pick than the 212. I’ve heard of them even holding down some lower end HEDT CPUs.

Their speed may be used a bit. Some games benefit. Plus, write speeds are better on the drives I listed.

I’m not making anyone do anything. Simply offering my recommendation.

Just now, Chris Pratt said:

Am I missing something? There's a ton of games that don't even use 6 cores, let alone 8, and 6 core is pretty much enough for any game, except maybe heavily AI driven ones like Civ 6 where it's the more cores the better.

I don't understand your point about the next gen consoles, either, because those are all 8 core, so how is that going to create problems if your PC only has 8 cores?

The new consoles are 8core/16thread machines. The new shooter games and stuff do use near 100% of the 9700k that has been shown and overload the 6 core i5's which is why 8th and 9th gen i5's aren't recommended anymore.

I do really think you should look into things a bit more because a lot of the big AAA games really do use more cores.

2 minutes ago, Caesium_132 said:

Read the rest of that paragraph before replying.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

The new consoles are 8core/16thread machines. The new shooter games and stuff do use near 100% of the 9700k that has been shown and overload the 6 core i5's which is why 8th and 9th gen i5's aren't recommended anymore.

I do really think you should look into things a bit more because a lot of the big AAA games really do use more cores.

*Laughs*

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

I edited my reply (a little late, I guess) after I realized you were talking mostly about the lack of SMT. Yes, what I said only applies with multi-threading, but 6 core/12 threads is still enough for virtually any game out there.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

1 minute ago, Chris Pratt said:

I edited my reply (a little late, I guess) after I realized you were talking mostly about the lack of SMT. Yes, what I said only applies with multi-threading, but 6 core/12 threads is still enough for virtually any game out there.

Oh yeah totally. I just included the 10700 as it is well priced and fits in the budget no problem.

ok right, after slightly more research the motherboards for the 10th gen are really expensive, i think for now i will likely go for the i7-9700k and i will likely upgrade to the i9-9850kF as that is (i assume) slightly better than the 10th gen i7. 

8 minutes ago, Caesium_132 said:

ok right, after slightly more research the motherboards for the 10th gen are really expensive, i think for now i will likely go for the i7-9700k and i will likely upgrade to the i9-9850kF as that is (i assume) slightly better than the 10th gen i7. 

No. Don't do that. Also the boards aren't as expensive? I literally linked you a 90 pound motherboard. Whilst yours is nearly 200 pounds. Please do yourself a favour and get the 10700 rig and no the 9850kf is not better as the 9900k is also not better than a 10700.