HP Laptop making weird noises by the fan.

Duo01
Go to solution Solved by nivakis,

That's it then, it's a fan blade that was bent. You could tryand bend it back to shape if you're not afraid of breaking it. Other than that you're good to go. 馃檪

Well.. if it isn't one issue with one of my laptops - its another.

I have been using my laptop in place of my Toshiba laptop I'm planning on getting fixed, and now this laptop has been making some weird noises... I don't know if the hard drive is failing, or the fan is having issues, but some help would be appreciated.

The noises seem to be coming near the fan on the laptop.

Model: HP Laptop 15 dy1xxx.

This problem just started today I believe as I noticed it right after I stopped listening to music (ironically.)

[These past few months have sucked due to the amount of Laptop issues I've had and It's- getting REALLY annoying.]

If it sounds like clicking and you have an HDD it's propably your drive leaving this world. Can you try and manually stop the fan to see if the noise stops?

What lies in the furthest reaches of sky?聽That which guides the lost child back to her mother's arms, Exile.
The waves that dye the land gold.聽The blessed breath which nurtures life, a land of wheat.
The path the angels descend upon.聽The path of great winds, The Grand Stream.
What lies in the furthest depths of memory?聽The place where all are born & where all will return, a blue world.

It isn't making a clicking noise, at least what I've looked at as a clicking noise.

It's more of a grinding type sound.

I have a hard drive.

Should I shut it down and leave it for a bit.. or?

If it sounds like grinding it's probably the fan. I suggest using a compressed air gun or something similar on the fan, and if you're comfortable with it, disassemble the laptop to do a deep cleaning and see if there's anything obstructing the fan.

What lies in the furthest reaches of sky?聽That which guides the lost child back to her mother's arms, Exile.
The waves that dye the land gold.聽The blessed breath which nurtures life, a land of wheat.
What lies in the furthest depths of memory?聽The place where all are born & where all will return, a blue world.

Okay, so it has gotten less noisy, but I'm going to try to clean it with compressed air without taking it apart and hopefully it works.

14 minutes ago, nivakis said:

If it sounds like grinding it's probably the fan. I suggest using a compressed air gun or something similar on the fan, and if you're comfortable with it, disassemble the laptop to do a deep cleaning and see if there's anything obstructing the fan.

Second Update:

I cleaned it with compressed air and still nothing. Upon looking closer at the vent for the fan a piece looks bent.
I already plan on taking one of my laptops to get repaired so I'll get this one checked out (they do free diagnostics thankfully).

However, it did get quieter to the point your almost able not to hear it..? .. so I guess a combination of the two...?

Edited by Duo01

That's it then, it's a fan blade that was bent. You could tryand bend it back to shape if you're not afraid of breaking it. Other than that you're good to go. 馃檪

16 minutes ago, nivakis said:

I'm probably not going to take the risk as I really don't want to break it. I'm thankful my hard drive isn't failing though. I plan on going to the repair shop anyway this week so I guess 2 laptops in for fixing... yay.

don't let it get to you. A fan replacement is one of the easiest repairs.