Alienware 13 R3 force downgrade BIOS?

Hello there,

I've posted before for this issue, but I really insist on fixing it.

Dell doesn't allow normal downgrading of the bios for their alienware laptops, making them high-wattage toasters destined to heat death. However some people managed to figure it out.

Force downgrade Alienware Area-51m Bios (or any alienware) to locked lower versions | NotebookReview

This guy seems to have made it, but for me and for other users (as seen in the comments) it doesn't work. For me personally, while I'm 100% sure I've followed the exact same procedure step by step correctly, the bios flash stop after the "EC Firmware Update" screen, it just reboots.

Has anyone managed to downgrade their Alienwares or Dells? If yes did you follow the procedure in the link above, or did you do anything different.

Thanks.

5 minutes ago, Fjolfrin said:

Hello there,

I've posted before for this issue, but I really insist on fixing it.

Dell doesn't allow normal downgrading of the bios for their alienware laptops, making them high-wattage toasters destined to heat death. However some people managed to figure it out.

Force downgrade Alienware Area-51m Bios (or any alienware) to locked lower versions | NotebookReview

This guy seems to have made it, but for me and for other users (as seen in the comments) it doesn't work. For me personally, while I'm 100% sure I've followed the exact same procedure step by step correctly, the bios flash stop after the "EC Firmware Update" screen, it just reboots.

Has anyone managed to downgrade their Alienwares or Dells? If yes did you follow the procedure in the link above, or did you do anything different.

Thanks.

You could be unlucky and Dell may have patched it. That seems likely if others in the comments are having the same issue as you.

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

You could probably force a downgrade flash with a ch341a, if you can find the bios chip on the motherboard

21 minutes ago, mousesnob said:

You could probably force a downgrade flash with a ch341a, if you can find the bios chip on the motherboard

This seems like a more in-depth solution. It might just work, however I am a little skeptical, I'd hate if I bricked my device.

When things calm down with the pandemic here I'll try to buy one and see if I can make it.

Thanks!

If anyone else has any other clue please share!

16 minutes ago, Fjolfrin said:

This seems like a more in-depth solution. It might just work, however I am a little skeptical, I'd hate if I bricked my device.

When things calm down with the pandemic here I'll try to buy one and see if I can make it.

Thanks!

If anyone else has any other clue please share!

I've used this device myself to downgrade and flash bios (needed to flash on a b450 mobo). Its pretty easy to do if you follow a tutorial. As for bricking i actually did not flash my first motherboard bios sucessfully as the clip fell off during the flash. I just flashed it again and it booted right up. Its a neat tool to have, its s bit more brute force than what you linked thread method i think.