AIO Closed Loop vs Open Loop

Hi,

I know that might sound silly, but I want to water cool my 9700k @ 5.2ghz with a custom loop, but my local store advised not to pay that much instead get high end AIO similar to NZXT Z 360ml series or the new Gigabyte X 360ml series.

He claimed that I wont notice that much of a difference butt will save couple of hundred bucks and the custom loop hassle and maintenance. 

Is it true that new versions of AIO will perform similarly as open loop?

Thanks,

Just now, KhaderKh said:

While there are some nuances, yes I think the statement is accurate enough for your purposes.

Custom loops are more a hobby than a necessity when it comes to managing temps (in your and most use cases).

You're definitely better off with an AIO vs. dumping hundreds into a custom loop setup.

If you wanted to do it for the experience, sure. From a value proposition though... very no.

6 minutes ago, KhaderKh said:

high end AIO similar to NZXT Z 360ml series or the new Gigabyte X 360ml series.

Get an ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360mm instead of those if you do get a 360mm AIO. Cheaper and performs better most of the time, plus it has a VRM heatsink fan.

elephants

19 minutes ago, KhaderKh said:

Instead get high end AIO similar to NZXT Z 360ml series or the new Gigabyte X 360ml series.

Funny thing is a arctic liquid freezer II 360 is better than those and MUCH cheaper :p.

Either way custom loop is for fun and show 99% of the time. Can be better but not always. Also the money you'd spend on the custom loop would allow you to buy a cpu that is better at stock than what the 9700k could ever do no matter the oc you can get on a top of the line aio.