How to know if my USB 3.1 bus isn't working or is a chipset problem?

I just got an ASUS TUF B550 Plus and a 5600X a few months ago and it's been pretty fine, but just recently I started trying to use the USB C port to transfer photos to a SD card and it's behaving very strangely.

To begin with, it would only work if it was plugged in one way, which USB C is supposed to be bi-directional. Then it seemed to droop a bit and would lose connection? Some of the photos I transferred to it ended up being corrupted, luckily I had a backup on my PC.

Now it's not working seemingly at all. There's a USB 3.2 type A? port right next to the USB C, pretty sure it's on the same bus, and when I plug my phone in it gets power, but it won't connect for data like the other ports do. My Xbox controller also isn't recognized and either does nothing or has the "attempting to connect" blinking.

I've read reports that the 5000 series has problems with USB, but as far as I'm aware all the other ports are mostly fine. How do I know if it's a chipset issue or a bad bus?

#Muricaparrotgang

I have the Asus B550-F, and all I can really say is the USB 3.0 port in the front of the case couldn't be used until I plugged a device into the USB 2.0 port first, get recognized, then it would work. I believe I've resolved my particular issue with the latest BIOS update. YMMV.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X - NH-D14

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING

RAM: G.SKILL F4-3600C14D-16GTZNB (4 x 3800 14-15-15-35-50-1T)

GPU: Nvidia Reference GTX Titan X

4 hours ago, Motleyguts said:

I have the Asus B550-F, and all I can really say is the USB 3.0 port in the front of the case couldn't be used until I plugged a device into the USB 2.0 port first, get recognized, then it would work. I believe I've resolved my particular issue with the latest BIOS update. YMMV.

Hmm. My front port works. I heard varying things about updating the BIOS so I just haven't. Suppose I could try it.

#Muricaparrotgang