Kernel-Power ID 41 (63) GPU related?

Flipp3rix

Hi, my pc has been restarting while watching prime video or YouTube for several months, generating Kernel-Power ID 41 (63). The restart never occurs while HARD gaming.

This is my current build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Black DDR4 3600 MHz 2x 8 GB

MOBO: MSI X570-A PRO AMD

PSU: Be Quiet! System power 9 500 W ATX black

GPU: R9 380 Nitro Shappire 4GB

HDD:

2x WD 1 TB

1x WD 500GB (with reallocated sectors)

1x WD 500 GB

SSD: Kingston SSD A400, 120GB

First of all I disabled XMP, but nothing. I ran memtest86, and the rams are both OK.

I uninstalled the AMD drivers (via safe mode, using the utility provided by AMD) and reinstalled them, but it still gives me problems.

I start Windows "clean" by disabling all non-Microsoft services that are superfluous.

It usually happens when playing videos on YouTube or Prime. So generally when watching streaming video. Consequently I disabled the browser hardware acceleration (good browser) but nothing. I don't think it ever rebooted during game play.

Unfortunately I did not understand why the pc does not generate any type of dump file which would certainly be useful.

I also have the ultra updated mobo bios and the latest chipset driver. I also used a linux environment on the same pc for a few months, and I don't think it ever restarted there.

Now I swapped the 380 with an old 6450HD for a week, and zero restarts occurs. I re-added after one week the 380 after uninstalling drivers in safe mode with DDU, and restarts come back. I notice that before the restart, the streaming start glitching audio and video... Is the gpu bad?

If it didn't restart under Linux, then it's a software issue under Windows.

I'd run a Live environment of Linux again, and duplicate your Windows-workflow, just to be sure.

A sudden power loss/restart is typically a sign of a failing power supply, but in the Win10 days, I'd seeing a lot of *really* poorly programmed applications doing this, even though it shouldn't ever happen.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Yeah, but what if under linux doesn't happens?

3 minutes ago, Heliian said:

Probably the gpu or power delivery. 

Yeah, but why in game or during stress test of the system, the restarts never occurs?

13 minutes ago, Flipp3rix said:

Yeah, but what if under linux doesn't happens?

If it doesn't happen under Linux, then you have a software issue. Some program is mis-behaving or, as I"m starting to see a lot more of, some bloatware-related driver "program" (RGB controller, some OCing software/driver combo package) is at fault.

Linus is very intolerant of bad hardware.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

If it doesn't happen under Linux, then you have a software issue. Some program is mis-behaving or, as I"m starting to see a lot more of, some bloatware-related driver "program" (RGB controller, some OCing software/driver combo package) is at fault.

Linus is very intolerant of bad hardware.

Actually on windows I never had any RGB related or OC software, just HwInfo64

Just now, Flipp3rix said:

Actually on windows I never had any RGB related or OC software, just HwInfo64

Fair enough, I was just posting some examples of poorly written software I've seen that can cause what you are seeing.

On 4/23/2021 at 4:03 PM, Radium_Angel said:

Fair enough, I was just posting some examples of poorly written software I've seen that can cause what you are seeing.

Anyway, there are things i can do for figuring what's the problem?

2 hours ago, Flipp3rix said:

Anyway, there are things i can do for figuring what's the problem?

List here everything that auto-starts when windows boots up please.

19 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

List here everything that auto-starts when windows boots up please.

From Task Manager:
Realtek HD Audio Universal Service

From msconfig, services tab (with hidden MS services):

Realtek Audio Universal Service

Steam Client Service

OK, so minimal auto-start, good.

Assuming a Live environment of Linux behaves just fine under the tasks that make Windows restart, I'm forced to conclude something is lurking in Windows causing issues, and a wipe-and re-install is your only sane option.

But before doing that, I'd run a LiveUSB environment of Linux again, just to ensure your hardware is still valid.

16 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

OK, so minimal auto-start, good.

Assuming a Live environment of Linux behaves just fine under the tasks that make Windows restart, I'm forced to conclude something is lurking in Windows causing issues, and a wipe-and re-install is your only sane option.

But before doing that, I'd run a LiveUSB environment of Linux again, just to ensure your hardware is still valid.

Ok, i will use from now on majaro on my second HDD and test