Capacitor help plz

David_2000

Hi there guys,

this has nothing to do with computers but would like some help. 

I would like to ask if anyone can tell me if this is a legit nichicon capacitor? 

I got it from ebay because i couldn't find it anywhere else and want to know if it's legit before using. 

image.png.76b3224d76c6f8fe8ecd3f78a628b09f.png

image.png.477981b06c83f44404fdbb8f88193446.png

<-- Moved to Hobby Electronics -->

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

4 minutes ago, James Evens said:

If you need a genuine part exclusively buy through authorized resellers or directly from the manufacturer. Don't trust any retailer if they tell you they are authorized. Go to the manufacturer website and check if they are listed as one.

The problem with fakes is they can be hard to tell them apart and generally the more margin the more likely it is a fakes. Buying from reputable brands/retailer which aren't authorized is still a risk as they can get fakes from the middle man/whole sale.

Seems legit. I've checked it out.

4660349.webp

2 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

I wouldn't trust any seller who is only Ebay.

I'm pretty certain you're ok with this. It is def what you're after.

It's probably fake.

The bottom of Nichicon capacitors is not like that, its a rubber material.  Maybe the crappier 85c rated capacitors have simpler bottom bung but I doubt they went so far as to use that basic pcb like material.

edit: this pdf shows the various bung types, so it looks like 20mm diameter and bigger may be flat bottom : https://www.nichicon.co.jp/english/products/pdfs/e-mi_tape2.pdf

image.png.9f36f08ac3e4dba9a6162740db4191f7.png

The u in uF is bad .... check the picture in the pdf ...

The h in nichicon seems like it's different font ... there's no angle in the right side of the letter, see my pictures below

different font : https://www.nichicon.co.jp/english/products/pdfs/e-rs.pdf

image.png.93b4eea261c5e4a0f91bc8291e76b1c0.png

The top is also not looking great. On my stock of higher end low esr capacitors, the vent release cuts are all the way to the edges

I'm attaching a bunch of pictures I took just now with a couple smaller capacitors I have in my personal stock... they're genuine capacitors bought from Digikey or Farnell :

You'll have to excuse the back lightning and not using macro for better shots...

front.jpg.8c643c02a3964c379131e350bca22ee6.jpg

back.thumb.jpg.ca4c8d923dd8ebbeb141fc8540e28570.jpg

text.jpg.5b10ea8142e3eb20c4592fdf71c5dbca.jpg

Generally I try to avoid Ebay for caps for this reason. Thats not to say that there are no legitimate Ebay sellers out but you're taking a gamble. A lot of counterfeit caps have horrible printing and the sleeves are absolute garbage. Additionally, the vents each manufacturer uses are different and a different seal??? shape on the on the bottom. A lot of counterfeit caps won't have the right vent, bottom, sleeve etc. Also always check the datasheet for the specific capacitor series since a lot of them have a description or photo of the product. 

image link broken 😞

Edit: Forgot to say that's 100% fake. 

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

That bottom almost looks like one of those instances where they stuff a small capacitor in the body of a bigger one. 

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

• 4 weeks later...

Only time I'll ever buy caps from eBay is used can capacitors. In my experience, those tend to be genuine (if they aren't too cheap) and usually aren't dead.

Seriously, for this kind of thing, DigiKey or Mouser. Newark if you really want to hate yourself (their parametric search is the bane of my existence).

Nichicon, Rubycon, Panasonic, UCC (United Chemi-Con), Epcos, TDK, Kemet and a bunch of others all make excellent quality electrolytic capacitors. I usually buy Rubycon and Panasonic out of habit (and I have footprints made for a lot of them) but from a quality standpoint I do not believe there is much reason to prefer any one of these brands over the other.