2.4Ghz Router and 5Ghz Access Point

MrAeRoZz

Hi, 

I just got myself a oculus quest 2, problem is my wifi sucks. Even when I stand infront of my router loading times are ass. 

Is it possible for me to connect an Access Point to an ethernet cable and have the Access Point make a 5ghz wifi signal on a different ssid? Problem is my Router can do pretty much nothing. So is there an access point that can do that with just the ethernet signal? 

14 minutes ago, MrAeRoZz said:

So is there an access point that can do that with just the ethernet signal? 

Not sure I'm understanding you correctly, but that is how an AP generally works. You connect it to a network and it provides wireless access to that network. You can set whatever SSID you want, and if you configure stuff like gateway etc. devices connected to it should also be able to access the internet (by being routed through the ISPs router when needed)

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 hour ago, Eigenvektor said:

Not sure I'm understanding you correctly, but that is how an AP generally works. You connect it to a network and it provides wireless access to that network. You can set whatever SSID you want, and if you configure stuff like gateway etc. devices connected to it should also be able to access the internet (by being routed through the ISPs router when needed)

ok. I'm sorry for being so stupid lmao. I am really just missing the knowledge of how an Access Point creates Wifi. I have a shitty telekom router that cant do anything. But if i connect a Ethernet Cable from that router to the AP, all the Ap cares about is that it has ethernet connected and will send everything it gets through that gateway?

10 hours ago, MrAeRoZz said:

ok. I'm sorry for being so stupid lmao. I am really just missing the knowledge of how an Access Point creates Wifi. I have a shitty telekom router that cant do anything.

Don't worry, you're not stupid for not knowing things 🙂

But if i connect a Ethernet Cable from that router to the AP, all the Ap cares about is that it has ethernet connected and will send everything it gets through that gateway?

That's the basic idea. You connect the AP to the router via LAN, so that it has a network connection. You'll want to give it a static IP address on your network. Since you only want it for Wi-Fi you should also disable its own routing and DHCP functionality, that will be provided by your Telekom router.

When you connect a device to that AP, it should get an IP address from the DHCP server on your Telekom router, meaning it'll get a correct IP address, netmask, gateway etc. needed to access the internet over the Access Point and also the other machines on your network.

When you first turn on the AP, it'll probably have some static IP set and you can only connect to it from your PC with a cable by manually setting an IP on your PC. You should be able to connect to it's web interface and then configure it as needed (e.g. change its IP, disable routing and DHCP). After that you should be able to connect it to your normal network and still be able to access it from your PC when that is back on the network as well. Then you should be able to configure the rest like an SSID, Wi-Fi password and so on.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

• 1 year later...

For future: My wording was off, the knowledge of how an AP works is something ive known, it was more about the signal. The Problem was that an AP would have send the same SSID as the 2,5ghz one from the Router. The Easier solution was to get a cheap router that sends a different SSID. In the new Router I set the gateway to be the old router and just routed everything to there. Works super easy without problems.