Thoughts on this $3000 setup?

TomPot

Any thoughts on this parts list? I’m getting a new setup soon with a $3000 budget. Thanks!

-TomPot

Link: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LPrHTJ

hahahaha.

I like that you spend 3000$ on a budget but you choose the coarsair k55 rgb

lol

I might be wrong but the computer seems a little overkill compared to the keyboard and mice.

It might just de me, don't take me wrong

7 minutes ago, Jakob.D said:

hahahaha.

I like that you spend 3000$ on a budget but you choose the coarsair k55 rgb

lol

I might be wrong but the computer seems a little overkill compared to the keyboard and mice.

It might just de me, don't take me wrong

id rather buy a decent keyboard on a high budget stup than blow too much of my budget

id suggest op, that you buy a 5800x over a 3900x, unless you really need a 12core cpu. Gaming would favor the 5800x, and 8 cores will be the max thats really optimised for a good few years now, since the consoles have 8 core cpus.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Any reason you're going with B550? Also, why are you getting a 2.5" hybrid drive?

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

3 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

id rather buy a decent keyboard on a high budget stup than blow too much of my budget

id suggest op, that you buy a 5800x over a 3900x, unless you really need a 12core cpu. Gaming would favor the 5800x, and 8 cores will be the max thats really optimised for a good few years now, since the consoles have 8 core cpus.

yeah 12 cores is overkill unless you are going to be doing heavy CPU based work-loads 

also if u can find a 3080 then great but that's going to be really unlikely 

but other than that amazing parts choices!

wait, do you really need thermal paste/compound to a liquid cooler?

9 minutes ago, Jakob.D said:

Good point, didn’t notice that!

9 minutes ago, Jakob.D said:

yeah... some might come with it paste, but most dont. anyway, stock paste tends to suck.

if not, you just hve two peices of metal touching, with bad contact, so its terrible for heat transfer.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, TomPot said:

Good point, didn’t notice that!

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

yeah... some might come with it paste, but most dont. anyway, stock paste tends to suck.

if not, you just hve two peices of metal touching, with bad contact, so its terrible for heat transfer.

get a new paste, even if the aio comes with some. scrpe teh pre applied paste off and put some of the stuff you got on.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

Any reason you're going with B550? Also, why are you getting a 2.5" hybrid drive?

b550 is the only amd chipset worth getting unless you are doing heavy cpu overclocking. But price for price, unless you need more than one nvme 4.0 drive, b550 is better

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

21 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

That’s a good idea! Any motherboard suggestions with an up to date bios for 5000 series?

1 minute ago, TomPot said:

That’s a good idea! Any motherboard suggestions with an up to date bios for 5000 series?

the b550-f gaming has a bios flashback feature that allows you to update the bios wihtout needing to have a supported cpu, if it doesnt come with bios support.

so keep your current one.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Also , yeah, ehy are you getting a 2.5in 5400rpm 1tb hdd? 

Id get baracuda computes. you can get 2 2tb models for less than the price of that one hdd.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, TomPot said:

Any thoughts on this parts list? I’m getting a new setup soon with a $3000 budget. Thanks!

-TomPot

Link: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LPrHTJ

This is what I would go with.Add some arctic p12 pst 5 pack and your set.Change to a 5800x if 5900x is overkill

Hi Tom, I think there are few things needs to be fixed.

First, since your primary focus is on gaming, I don’t see any reason to get a 12 core Ryzen 3900 of the previous gen, rather than getting the 5800X of the current 8 core Ryzen 7, as they are roughly in the same price range. Or Even the 5900X if it will fit in the budget.

And your cooler will not be sufficient for 105W TDP, given that with PBO enabled more temperature headroom you have the more single core boost it will have, which plays an important role on gaming performance.  I see that you are going with corsair built, so I recommend you get the new iCUE H115i ELITE CAPELLIX Liquid CPU Cooler its 280 and mounting it on the top. And like other have said there is no need of thermal paste.

I strongly recommended you get a PCI 4.0 M.2 and connected to the PCIE 4.0 M.2 Slot you get a 1 TB or even a 500 GB one if budget is a concern. And you can get a 1TB or 2TB PCIE 3.0 M.2 put in the other slot for extra storage, and at the very least get a SATA SSD, as 5400 RPM mechanical drive is obsolete.

Further I see that you picked the SP120 fan for exhaust, but it will not work with these case fans, you will need additional lighting node core for just that one fan, and lots of extra cabling and wiring as the lighting node core will not be able to handle different type of fans on the same hub. So this is something to keep in mind.

Thee Strix B550-F will not support the usb-c port on the front panel.

Since rgb is important I'd suggest a cpu cooler with argb fans.

Unless you already own the Firecuda, get a single 2TB NVMe drive instead.

If gpu were not so difficult to find I'd suggest an Asus model so that the lighting can be sync'd.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($447.99 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($137.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($252.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($219.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($224.99 @ Western Digital) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card  ($760.00) 
Case: Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($134.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Phanteks AMP 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Case Fan: Corsair iCUE SP120 RGB Pro 52 CFM 120 mm Fan  ($23.99 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: Gigabyte G34WQC 34.0" 3440x1440 144 Hz Monitor  ($449.99 @ Best Buy) 
Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($49.99 @ Best Buy) 
Mouse: Corsair DARK CORE RGB PRO SE Wireless Optical Mouse  ($69.98 @ Amazon) 
Headphones: Corsair VOID RGB ELITE 7.1 Channel  Headset  ($85.99 @ Amazon) 
Webcam: Wansview 101JD Webcam  ($34.99) 
Total: $3103.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-04-21 17:03 EDT-0400

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

I see a lot of reviews related to CPU, MB, etc. Can anyone please provide their feedback on the monitor? I've also been looking for that same monitor and I'd like to get a 2nd opinion.