NEED HELP WITH LINUX

My mom's laptop is an old 4gb ram, 6th gen i5 HP laptop that came with win 10. Its performance deteriorated recently to the point where it took 20 mins+ to launch chrome. Even Win 10 resetting fails. I decided to install mint linux cinnamon as it is much lighter. I made some mistakes in the disk partition in the installer. My hard drive now had no OS. I decided to flash ubuntu. The installer works but when GURB2 installation begins, the installer crashes. I need help please. I tried boot repair tool, etc but nothing works.

Is it giving off an error of some sort? If so can you post that error?

1 minute ago, abrarahmed15 said:

Is it giving off an error of some sort? If so can you post that error?

It just says installer crashed. Let me try again to see the exact error.

I forgot to ask for some more info actually. Are you booting in BIOS or EFI mode? and what is your hard drive's partition table? GPT or MBR?

I am pretty sure the issue is your hard drive. That's why your system has gotten slow and might be timeouting. Replace it with an SSD.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

3 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

I am pretty sure the issue is your hard drive. That's why your system has gotten slow and might be timeouting. Replace it with an SSD.

It's possible. Still not a bad idea to ensure it isn't software related. It's possible that the Windows install had a ton of viruses if a tech-illiterate person used it. A 6th Gen laptop isn't that old...

2 minutes ago, abrarahmed15 said:

It's possible. Still not a bad idea to ensure it isn't software related. It's possible that the Windows install had a ton of viruses if a tech-illiterate person used it. A 6th Gen laptop isn't that old...

It was the ram...it ways always on 92+% ram usage just on the desktop

1 minute ago, Ujee said:

It was the ram...it ways always on 92+% ram usage just on the desktop

It was probably a virus then. Now, I'm a Linux person but if a virus was the issue you may want to try reinstalling Windows 10. It'd be pretty good if your Mum can get used to Mint but there's a possibility she might be annoyed.

It was probably a virus then. Now, I'm a Linux person but if a virus was the issue you may want to try reinstalling Windows 10. It'd be pretty good if your Mum can get used to Mint but there's a possibility she might be annoyed.

she uses her laptop just for online yoga classes. Windows now not working. It gives error as the disc was formatted in mint installation.

16 minutes ago, abrarahmed15 said:

I forgot to ask for some more info actually. Are you booting in BIOS or EFI mode? and what is your hard drive's partition table? GPT or MBR?

Let's try to get it fixed then 😄 Answer these please?

1 minute ago, abrarahmed15 said:

Let's try to get it fixed then 😄 Answer these please?

I think EFI (not sure) and I am doing the auto install for ubuntu not the something else option

HP is very hard to get into BIOS so umm good luck

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

If you are currently booted into Ubuntu type this into the Terminal.

ls /sys/firmware/efi/efivars

The above snippet will list the files in the efivars directory. If the files exist you are booted in EFI mode, if you get an error or something you are booted in BIOS/Legacy mode.

To determine the Partition table for the Hard Drive, type this into the terminal.

sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda

You'll see it spit out a bunch of info. Look for the Disklabel type.

You need to clean install operating system again. I would replace the drive with a ssd first though. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Just now, wasab said:

You need to clean install operating system again. I would replace the drive with a ssd first though. 

well...I messed up...Isn't there a way to clean install on my existing HHD after formatting it?

Just now, Ujee said:

well...I messed up...Isn't there a way to clean install on my existing HHD after formatting it?

Yeah, just tell installer to erase everything and install from scratch. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

@wasab It worked. I love you. It installed successfully. * kisses *

Lols 😄 Guess it was a simple issue. Tell your Mum to enjoy Linux!

She probably will like ubuntu. It tried on my laptop (which is much faster) on a virtual machine. It is sooooo pretty it makes win 10 look so 2015-y

Since you have a new install, @Ujee, an update is needed. 

I assume you have created a password for your account in the install.

For now, write this down -- 

ctrl-alt-F2

takes you to Console

ctrl-alt-F7

gets you back to the Graphical Uset Interface or GUI  [it is Ctrl-Alt-F8 for some distros]

Hit Ctrl-Alt-F2 to ge into Console

Sign in with Username and Password

Then, type in the following

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

It will ask for your password created when you made your account at install

Let it do its thing.

You are now updated and upgraded.

Hit Ctrl-Alt-F7 to get back to the GUI and then try video in youtube or otherwise.

If still cannot play a video, come back.

Welcome to Linux!