Cpu vs Ram upgrade

Hi,

I currently have a converted dell optiplex system.

cpu: i5 4570

gpu: gtx 980ti

ram: 2x4gb ddr3

psu: 600w evga 

motherboard: dell, has 2 ram slots and lga 1150 socket

storage: 120gb ssd 1tb hdd

I saved up some money for upgrades and i wanted some input on what upgrade would give me the best price per performance.

I could either get 16gb(2x8) of ddr3 ram to replace the current 8gb(2x4) for about 60$ and maybe sell the old memory on ebay for about 20-30,

or I could upgrade my i5 4570 to an i7 4770 for about a hundred bucks, and resell the old processor for maybe 50.

any thoughts about what sounds better for the price?

Both are good upgrades, but I think the 16GB ram is what you can most benefit from. If you look hard enough you can get 16GB DDR3 for $50, even seen them for $40. If you for example have 1333mhz ram now, going to 1600mhz or 1866mhz would also give a small performance boost.

Actually the i7 is a good upgrade too as you will have more threads and more Ghz. If you choose for the i7, it can also still run you for a long time still. I also feel like selling ram might be easier than the processor.

Too little performance difference between those cpus, not worth upgrading cpu. 

ram upgrade would be noticeable, and cheap enough at around 40-50$/euro 

Would make more sense to sell mobo+cpu+ram as a bundle and pay more for socket am4 (ex  b450 mobo from around 60-70$ and up, or maybe a520 chipset but that would force you to go with newer ryzen cpus which are more expensive - ryzen cpu from around 60-70$ for something higher performance than your current cpu, and around 50$ or maybe more for 8 GB DDR4. 

<-- Moved to New Builds and Planning -->

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Depends a bit on how the system is used.

The cpu upgrade adds a few hundred MHz and hyperthreading. All told should come out to about 20% - 25% better cpu performance.

Doubling memory will certainly help with newer software. Especially stuff that involves a lot of storage activity. Much tougher to quantify the performance improvements.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.