Headset Just Broke - Need Recommendations please! :)

Aidanh1994

Hey everyone!

I'm in need of a new headset as my current one just gave up on me. I need a good headset with a microphone - quite open on budget for now, I would say £200 max really. I quite like the look of the Sennheiser headsets, would anyone recommend them?

Look forward to seeing the suggestions!

Thanks 🙂

27 minutes ago, Aidanh1994 said:

Hey everyone!

I'm in need of a new headset as my current one just gave up on me. I need a good headset with a microphone - quite open on budget for now. I quite like the look of the Sennheiser headsets, would anyone recommend them?

Look forward to seeing the suggestions!

Thanks 🙂

What budget you on to be exact? $50? $100? $150? $250?

EDIT: based on what most of the Sennheiser headsets cost, your budget is pretty high. I dont have any personal experience with Sennheiser, so IDK if they are worth it or not. Im guessing they are mostly just for studio use, such as music production etc. So the sound quality must be good, but the mic is usually trash to compensate. 

Id go for Logitech, as the sound quality is great, and they have Blue VO!CE on the newest headsets, so you can adjust almost everything on your mic with their G HUB program. You can also adjust the sound with an equalizer, so if you want bass, you can add it. Pretty sure only the only headsets that got Blue VO!CE is The G PRO X (got a wireless version too!) and the newer G733(pretty sure its only wireless).

The G PRO X got great sound proofing as they use "leather" muffs, tho it CAN be a bit sweaty with them after a while (personal experience). Luckily, you also get cloth muffs in the box too, so you can change between them if you need to. Solid design as it doesnt use any plastic, its all some sort of metal.

The G733 seems to be all cloth, so the sound proofing isnt probably good, but they are suuuper comfortable to use for a long time. Pretty design too, and they come in 4 different colors. A bit plasticy tho but should still be pretty solid.

Forgot to mention that their technical support is GREAT! My first pair of G PRO X only played sound on the left side, and i got a replacement unit just a few days after i contacted them! That was around a year ago, and my second pair have NEVER had any problems, and they are still going strong! Even after my cats pushed them down my table like 50x times.

13 minutes ago, DankDeuxez said:

What budget you on to be exact? $50? $100? $150? $250?

I would say £200 max. Sorry I should have been more specific. I'll edit the post now. 

Thanks very much for your recommendations! 

11 minutes ago, DankDeuxez said:

Id go for Logitech, as the sound quality is great

Nej nej nej... OP. Stay away from plagued gaming headsets, and especially from companies such as razer, logitech, corsair and steelseries. There are exceptions for great headsets out there from a gaming brand. An example are the MH752's from cooler master. They are reskinnned studio monitors with a good mic on it. The quality on logitech's headphones are mushy and varies from unit to unit. Very unpredictable sound quality. 

13 minutes ago, DankDeuxez said:

so IDK if they are worth it or not. Im guessing they are mostly just for studio use

This is the typical "I only use gaming headsets because I know they are best for gaming" This is not true. It is kinda comical that "gaming" headsets in reality are worse than actual "music" hedaphones or studio headphones when in reality they are superior in every way. There is nothing for "studio" use. There are only good and bad headphones. You can get a pair of studio headphones for $150 and a modmic uni for 50 and a soundcard for 50-100 and you're set.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

Coolermaster MH751, 75 bucks, light, comfortable, decent audio, great mic for a headset.

I make Rainmeter things and other art :D

2 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

This is the typical "I only use gaming headsets because I know they are best for gaming" This is not true. It is kinda comical that "gaming" headsets in reality are worse than actual "music" hedaphones or studio headphones when in reality they are superior in every way. There is nothing for "studio" use. There are only good and bad headphones. You can get a pair of studio headphones for $150 and a modmic uni for 50 and a soundcard for 50-100 and you're set.

Yeah thats a bit true. Ive never used anything other than normal headsets, as im not really going to spend $300+ on audio equipment for a bit better audio quality. Gaming headsets are still good, based on their price etc. But if your budget allows it, then yeah its probably worth it to spend $300+ on better audio equipment.

1 minute ago, DankDeuxez said:

Yeah thats a bit true. Ive never used anything other than normal headsets, as im not really going to spend $300+ on audio equipment for a bit better audio quality. Gaming headsets are still good, based on their price etc. But if your budget allows it, then yeah its probably worth it to spend $300+ on better audio equipment.

You can get a pair of Fidelio X2HR for 150 on amazon or Webhallen I think there was a discount to 1500kr. I would say they sound as good as $300+. They are very premium for their price. They are open backed and have a neutral sound signature as well as one of the most open sound stages on any headphone out there that I know. These barely need an amp or any other equipment other than your PC motherboard audio. You can always improve the sound with a new amp/DAC combo for pretty cheap. Around 1000kr or $100 and it'll sound great. You overthink you need something overkill to get good audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

8 minutes ago, Wyzzy Moon said:

Coolermaster MH751, 75 bucks, light, comfortable, decent audio, great mic for a headset.

I'd recommend the USB variant since it comes practically with a free small DAC/amp dongle. You can always remove the dongle to use it with an amp in the future.

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

Ok thanks very much guys! 

Looking into wired vs wireless and for mic quality and just generally wired seems to be the way to go

depending on where you are located, the shp9500 + vmoda boom mic is from what I gather an excellent choice.

This combo would leave room for an amp like a schiit heresy/modi, that would be if you want to enter the head-fi game

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission