PC won't boot, but there is one temperature issue...

siewcu

Like in the topic. Long story short - changed mobo and cpu, computer started and turned off, sometimes boot for few seconds, sometimes doesn't even start. Cooler is working - water flows through reservoir. Only thing I've noticed - after 30 mins of being turned off, it started, I went into the bios and... Die temperature was about 100oC. Kinda weird. Cooler was working, before and after this I've checked it. Only thing I know about this cpu, and I'm concerned that this could be the problem - previous owner was using with direct die cooling and put ihs back on before sending it to me, BUT he didn't check if it is even working. Any ideas what could've happend? If I'd guess then he messed something with mounting ihs, which should have liquid metal underneath.

And I forgot - it's evga x299 micro and i7-7820x. On mobo only some shitty gpu powered only through pciex port, to exclude psu from problems list. Unplugged everything, only ssd, without even one fan(including ones on radiator).

EVGA X299 Micro, i7-7820X, 16GB GoodRAM IRDM X, PNY RTX 2070 Super, 1x Adata S70 Blade 512GB, 1x MX500 1TB, 1x BX200 480GB, Thermaltake Smart SE 630W, Phanteks Enthoo Pro

If you didn't mounted it wrong and the motherboard sensor is working fine, he probably forgot to put the liquid metal inside the lid. If he did, I would advise you to just return it and buy another CPU anyway, not worth the hassle. Depending on how much you've paid for it, 2700x/3700x and 9700k would be far better options

Is this CPU new to you? I'm not sure I fully understand your story here.

If so, my first guess is you've been had. If the seller was unwilling to verify function, it's often a sign that it's got issues.
It's also possible that it has no interface between the die and the IHS, and/or it's not been properly re-mounted, and you're just seeing thermal shutdown to protect itself.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Yep, it's new to me, but I've bought it as used. It was cheap, and seller told me to send it back and he'll verify it. I'm not entirely happy, because he's private seller, not a company of any kind, so I'm a bit afraid. I haven't touch it, he sent me to it with cpu mounted in a socket, and I haven't had a reason to check it... I'm a bit afraid to delid it again, I have no idea if he even glued ihs to cpu and if he did then what's the glue.

EVGA X299 Micro, i7-7820X, 16GB GoodRAM IRDM X, PNY RTX 2070 Super, 1x Adata S70 Blade 512GB, 1x MX500 1TB, 1x BX200 480GB, Thermaltake Smart SE 630W, Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Is it possible, that because of most likely strong vibrations(and maybe throwing package) during transport, liquid metal just fall off from between die and ihs? After quick talk with someone else it looks like most reasonable explenation, but I'd like to hear someones else opinion about it...