Minecraft server- im so confused

Helpful Tech Witch

OK. Ive setup a Minecraft server. 

I was having issues with the port, which were fixed with DMZ (im not paying for the isp to send someone to come turn bridge on). port 25565 was forwarded with my private ip.  (edit: the port is forwarded with my private ip, but is iopen on my public, not my private)

which brings up question one: should i use my private ip (192.168.xx.xxx) or public ip (162.255.xx.xxx) for the port forward

I can connect as of now from my local network (same one the server is on, same pc, or different one) but I cant connect with my public ip. 

which is question 2: should I be able ot connect like this?

question 3:Would changing the ip used for the port forward change that?

its a papermc 1.16.5 offline mode server for context

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Port forwarding is necessary to allow access to services, which are behind NAT (multiple devices in private network behind one public IP). Port forwarding is configured on a router and generally requires you to input the destination port on your public IP, target IP and port in your private network and the protocol (usually TCP or UDP).

Port forwarding must be done to the private IP, otherwise your packets could end in a loop because the router is forwarding packets to itself (as it has the public IP on an interface).

But the issue you are facing is related to hairpin or NAT reflection/loopback. If you are trying to connect from inside the private network using the external IP, some routers get confused, that the packet comes from the internal network to the router on unexpected interface. While the packets might reach the server (no guarantees, routers are different), they are not going to reach back to the client. Some routers have an option called NAT reflection or NAT loopback to help with that, but that could bring other issues (this thread contains some details: https://forum.netgate.com/topic/111035/why-is-nat-reflection-not-a-good-thing).

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Also the arror I have when I connect to it with my public ip is 

io.netty.channel.abstractchannel$annotatedconnectexception connection refused

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

Port forwarding is necessary to allow access to services, which are behind NAT (multiple devices in private network behind one public IP). Port forwarding is configured on a router and generally requires you to input the destination port on your public IP, target IP and port in your private network and the protocol (usually TCP or UDP).

Port forwarding must be done to the private IP, otherwise your packets could end in a loop because the router is forwarding packets to itself (as it has the public IP on an interface).

But the issue you are facing is related to hairpin or NAT reflection/loopback. If you are trying to connect from inside the private network using the external IP, some routers get confused, that the packet comes from the internal network to the router on unexpected interface. While the packets might reach the server (no guarantees, routers are different), they are not going to reach back to the client. Some routers have an option called NAT reflection or NAT loopback to help with that, but that could bring other issues (this thread contains some details: https://forum.netgate.com/topic/111035/why-is-nat-reflection-not-a-good-thing).

Would this resault in a conection refused error, like this one

io.netty.channel.abstractchannel$annotatedconnectexception connection refused

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Not sure if this happens with other routers, but if you have dmz enabled it usually overrides all other port forwarding as everything has been directed towards your dmz ip.

7 minutes ago, Slayer3032 said:

Not sure if this happens with other routers, but if you have dmz enabled it usually overrides all other port forwarding as everything has been directed towards your dmz ip.

dmz is enabled to fix the double nat, and theport is forwarded with my tplink deco m5, with the server conected to it.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

dmz is enabled to fix the double nat, and theport is forwarded with my tplink deco m5, with the server conected to it.

Double NAT? Are you running 2 routers?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Double NAT? Are you running 2 routers?

Yeah. my deco m5 is conected to my isp router, and im usind DMZ because its a service call to get bridge running.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Yeah. my deco m5 is conected to my isp router, and im usind DMZ because its a service call to get bridge running.

OK, well here's how to fix it...

For this example I'll say Router 1 (isp router) is 192.168.0.1 and router 2 (deco) is 192.168.1.1, you can adjust these as needs be.

First disable DMZ, in my experience with DMZ it rarely works properly (if at all). Once everything is configured you wont need it anyway. Also go ahead and delete all existing port forwarding rules too, make a note of any you need to re add after.

On the admin panel of Router 1 (192.168.0.1) head to the port forwarding page and create a new inbound rule. Have this rule forward all traffic across all ports (the full range is 1 to 65535) to 192.168.0.2. Most routers allow all outbound traffic by default so you shouldn't need to touch the outbound rules at all.

Next open up the admin panel of Router 2 (192.168.1.1), head to the WAN setup section, change it from Auto Assign to Manual and tell it to use 192.168.0.2 as its connection address and 192.168.0.1 as its gateway and DNS.

Now you should only need to create forwarding rules using router 2, router 1 will forward all traffic on to router 2 by default.

This is exactly how my setup works and I have no issues forwarding ports.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

5 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

OK, well here's how to fix it...

For this example I'll say Router 1 (isp router) is 192.168.0.1 and router 2 (deco) is 192.168.1.1, you can adjust these as needs be.

First disable DMZ, in my experience with DMZ it rarely works properly (if at all). Once everything is configured you wont need it anyway. Also go ahead and delete all existing port forwarding rules too, make a note of any you need to re add after.

On the admin panel of Router 1 (192.168.0.1) head to the port forwarding page and create a new inbound rule. Have this rule forward all traffic across all ports (the full range is 1 to 65535) to 192.168.0.2. Most routers allow all outbound traffic by default so you shouldn't need to touch the outbound rules at all.

Next open up the admin panel of Router 2 (192.168.1.1), head to the WAN setup section, change it from Auto Assign to Manual and tell it to use 192.168.0.2 as its connection address and 192.168.0.1 as its gateway and DNS.

Now you should only need to create forwarding rules using router 2, router 1 will forward all traffic on to router 2 by default.

This is exactly how my setup works and I have no issues forwarding ports.

Ive forwarded all ports to the ip adress that has the last number one greater than the ip adress.

I get the error "Port true is reserved by system and not available" [id assume that means a port is open that I cant see. Since I only use port 25565, could I just forward that?

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Ive forwarded all ports to the ip adress that has the last number one greater than the ip adress.

I get the error "Port true is reserved by system and not available" [id assume that means a port is open that I cant see. Since I only use port 25565, could I just forward that?

Also so I need to forward to port on the  192.168.1.1 router?

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

If you give me the gateway IPs of both routers I can give you exact settings that should work.

20 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

If you give me the gateway IPs of both routers I can give you exact settings that should work.

never mind.

my dads not letting me set a dns thats not 1.1.1.1 (he would pay the service call fee for bridge before doing that). And yeah i explained to him that the dns would be 1.1.1.1 on the isp one still.........

Ill see if someone else can join externally with DMZ, thanks for the help though.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler