New build won't wake from sleep

MrJanis

I recently built a new Windows 10 PC with an i7-10700k and MSI Z490i 490i Unify ITX board. Everything booted just fine and was running great until I made a change in the BIOS to allow wake on USB. After making this change my computer would go to sleep and when I clicked on the mouse it wouldn't wake and would just click multiple times. I cleared CMOS and was able to boot the PC immediately afterwards. So far to date I have done the following:

• Contacted MSI several times with no resolution and 4 different RMA's

• Tested the PSU using a paper clip as suggested by Corsair, also tested on another build

• Updated BIOS (used the Beta version MSI sent)

• Stripped the board down to the CPU, M.2, and a single stick of RAM.

• Tested with new RAM and a new M.2

• I've replaced the MOBO once as MSI stated that was the problem but issue still occurs with new MOBO and MSI wants me to now do a third RMA.

• I've tried every power setting configuration in Windows 10 and made sure the mouse/keyboard are set to wake.

If anyone could make some other suggestion that would be greatly appreciated.

SPECS: i7-10700K, MSI Z490i, Corsair 32GB RAM (16x2), Samsung Evo M.2 (X2 - 500GB & 1TB), RTX3070 Super, Corsair SF600X.

I have a reddit thread with others that are experiencing the same issue: New build won't wake from sleep : buildapc (reddit.com)

12 minutes ago, MrJanis said:

I recently built a new Windows 10 PC with an i7-10700k and MSI Z490i 490i Unify ITX board. Everything booted just fine and was running great until I made a change in the BIOS to allow wake on USB. After making this change my computer would go to sleep and when I clicked on the mouse it wouldn't wake and would just click multiple times. I cleared CMOS and was able to boot the PC immediately afterwards. So far to date I have done the following:

• Contacted MSI several times with no resolution and 4 different RMA's

• Tested the PSU using a paper clip as suggested by Corsair, also tested on another build

• Updated BIOS (used the Beta version MSI sent)

• Stripped the board down to the CPU, M.2, and a single stick of RAM.

• Tested with new RAM and a new M.2

• I've replaced the MOBO once as MSI stated that was the problem but issue still occurs with new MOBO and MSI wants me to now do a third RMA.

• I've tried every power setting configuration in Windows 10 and made sure the mouse/keyboard are set to wake.

If anyone could make some other suggestion that would be greatly appreciated.

SPECS: i7-10700K, MSI Z490i, Corsair 32GB RAM (16x2), Samsung Evo M.2 (X2 - 500GB & 1TB), RTX3070 Super, Corsair SF600X.

I have a reddit thread with others that are experiencing the same issue: New build won't wake from sleep : buildapc (reddit.com)

So if you RMA'd the pc 4 times, 9/10 it's not the pc. I'd make sure to check your cables and periphs. I don't know what involvement they could have, but at least to me, that seems like the most likely scenario.

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

You have gone though 4 additional replacement motherboard's via RMA? Jesus. Clearly after the 3rd board you should realize that their is probably something wrong in the firmware. My guess? the feature is bugged and not fully implemented on MSI's behalf. IIRC Wake on USB isn't for stuff like wake when you press a mouse button, but to allow from waking when something like a USB pendrive runs a timed program, or to allow one PC to remotely wake up another PC with a special code when the two are interconnected via USB.

I remember Linus has had this headache a couple times when using less common or more niche features on Asus's prosumer boards. (Xeon boards), and the problem was? The BIOS was written incorrectly, and even the beta BIOS he used was wrong because yes actually meant no and vice versa, so the feature was always disabled when he thought it was enabled. 

Have you just tried to use the PC and put it to sleep and wake up with the feature disabled? Like clear the CMOS, and run your normal tests. Because I though by default the feature was supposed to be enabled, maybe even hidden. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

1 minute ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

So if you RMA'd the pc 4 times, 9/10 it's not the pc. I'd make sure to check your cables and periphs. I don't know what involvement they could have, but at least to me, that seems like the most likely scenario.

At this point in time I have RMA'd the Power supply, used different RAM, and used a brand new M.2 with a fresh windows install. As I also stated I took it down to the essential components of just the MOBO, CPU, M.2 (brand new/fresh install), RAM (all configurations). I think it to be a BIOS setting or a Windows Group Policy setting  I am not familiar with?

33 minutes ago, Nathanpete said:

You have gone though 4 additional replacement motherboard's via RMA? Jesus. Clearly after the 3rd board you should realize that their is probably something wrong in the firmware. My guess? the feature is bugged and not fully implemented on MSI's behalf. IIRC Wake on USB isn't for stuff like wake when you press a mouse button, but to allow from waking when something like a USB pendrive runs a timed program, or to allow one PC to remotely wake up another PC with a special code when the two are interconnected via USB.

I remember Linus has had this headache a couple times when using less common or more niche features on Asus's prosumer boards. (Xeon boards), and the problem was? The BIOS was written incorrectly, and even the beta BIOS he used was wrong because yes actually meant no and vice versa, so the feature was always disabled when he thought it was enabled. 

Have you just tried to use the PC and put it to sleep and wake up with the feature disabled? Like clear the CMOS, and run your normal tests. Because I though by default the feature was supposed to be enabled, maybe even hidden. 

I only RMA'd because MSI said to... what a pain!

I initially tried the default setting but it would not wake via mouse. MSI had me change Wake on setting to Resume by USB Device. I have spent countless hours on this and tried all settings I can think of to try and make this work. I try these setting every time there is a BIOS update as that is the only thing I can think it to be at this point in time. At this point I figured I would start reaching out to experts that may be able to help.

Just now, MrJanis said:

I only RMA'd because MSI said to... what a pain!

I initially tried the default setting but it would not wake via mouse. MSI had me change Wake on setting to Resume by USB Device. I have spent countless hours on this and tried all settings I can think of to try and make this work. I try these setting every time there is a BIOS update as that is the only thing I can think it to be at this point in time. At this point I figured I would start reaching out to experts that may be able to help.

MSI's customer service aren't experts. They just make a judgement if it would be easier to RMA then to deal with troubleshooting. They choose 4 times to RMA. 

Have you tried using different USB ports, front and back. There are 2, sometimes even three different paths and controllers a USB signal can go before going to the CPU. 

Also is this only affecting the mouse, or the keyboard too. 

Also very few of us are experts. I'm literally a teenage enthusiast, that by far knows the most about hardware than anyone in my school. I can still help, I'm not stupid, I know my stuff, just very few of us hold the actual title of expert or professional in any technology category. At any moment the chances an actual mobo expert is online is close to zero. I have seen and talked to experts before, one time a guy that was an expert in server virtualization, and another that had over a decade of working in the professional environment developing power supplies. There are plenty more, and there is probably a dozen active experts I have missed because I only visit the forum for like the same 3 hours in a day. 

(This may sound like it could be a good idea to repost your question in like 6 hours, but don't. It is against the forum's rules and will get removed by mods. And the most active users will even call you out if you asked the same exact question even just 7 days ago.)

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

Have you RMA'd and just tried to get your money back. Take that money and buy a different Z490 board from somebody other than MSI. 

It also wouldn't surprise me if they literally just sent back the same board after doing the default RMA troubleshooting steps. I've seen it before. Some old story was that a board arrived with a broken feature. But before they returned the board accidently scratched a faint line into the back of the PCB. Knowing that they would never notice it, he RMA'd the board. The RMA team never read his report. They just run the entire system and do common functionality tests. They never read the report and didn't have much of a test, probably much less of a easy to do fix, for his missing feature. They sent "another board" back, and when he unboxed it it was literally the same board with the same scratch mark.

And in case where they claim to send the original board back, but this time fixed, it usually means that they couldn't reproduce your error and instead of looking further or contacting you, they call it a fluke or false alarm and ship it back to you. 

4 minutes ago, Nathanpete said:

MSI's customer service aren't experts. They just make a judgement if it would be easier to RMA then to deal with troubleshooting. They choose 4 times to RMA. 

Have you tried using different USB ports, front and back. There are 2, sometimes even three different paths and controllers a USB signal can go before going to the CPU. 

Also is this only affecting the mouse, or the keyboard too. 

Also very few of us are experts. I'm literally a teenage enthusiast, that by far knows the most about hardware than anyone in my school. I can still help, I'm not stupid, I know my stuff, just very few of us hold the actual title of expert or professional in any technology category. At any moment the chances an actual mobo expert is online is close to zero. I have seen and talked to experts before, one time a guy that was an expert in server virtualization, and another that had over a decade of working in the professional environment developing power supplies. There are plenty more, and there is probably a dozen active experts I have missed because I only visit the forum for like the same 3 hours in a day. 

(This may sound like it could be a good idea to repost your question in like 6 hours, but don't. It is against the forum's rules and will get removed by mods. And the most active users will even call you out if you asked the same exact question even just 7 days ago.)

I appreciate any help I can get as I feel I have exhausted everything and it is above my knowledge level at this time. 

I have tried everything you have mentioned and had no luck and it is mouse or keyboard as soon as the MOBO received a signal it goes in to a continual clicking and will not power back on until CMOS is cleared. That leads me to believe that it is a BIOS issue because the only setting changed is the wake on setting, but it could be a conflicting BIOS setting I am not aware of too???