Home server PC

Vixie

Budget (including currency): 
Around 300 USD

US

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 
General server build. Websites, self-hosted chatting programs, whatever I feel like at the time. Probably running Debian or CentOS

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

The motherboard according to https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000168330661.html is PCI E 3. The GPU I already have is purely to install and get SSHD running but it's PCI E 2. Is PCI E backwards compatible? The power supply which I know is complete overkill is something I already have but I am missing the cables for it. Is there anywhere where I can just buy PSU cables? And is the PSU compatible with the mobo in the first place? I hate to spend 60 dollars on a case for a server but part picker says it's the cheapest case that supports SSL CEB form factor which according to aliexpress again the motherboard is CEB form factor. Any other possible incompatibilities you see or a cheap performance upgrade?

I don't need any peripherals because I'll just use the ones I have with my desktop for setup then disconnect it from them and use ssh purely. I'll probably buy soonish? Maybe within the month?

21 minutes ago, Vixie said:

Is PCI E backwards compatible?

Yes

21 minutes ago, Vixie said:

And is the PSU compatible with the mobo in the first place?

Highly likely

22 minutes ago, Vixie said:

Buy it on ebay, the price will be like 10 bucks

23 minutes ago, Vixie said:

I hate to spend 60 dollars on a case for a server but part picker says it's the cheapest case that supports SSL CEB form factor which according to aliexpress again the motherboard is CEB form factor

That looks like a micro atx motherboard. If you want to be 1000% sure get atx. No way its larger than that.

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

1 hour ago, davemc said:

That looks like a micro atx motherboard. If you want to be 1000% sure get atx. No way its larger than that

Well what if this 'CEB' form factor has different mounting holes? well... if the case can both do ATX and CEB then I guess it probably is the same
but still I don't see every atx board on part picker with CEB compatibility... oh nevermind I just checked... yeah I do see that. Alright good enough thank you on that

17 minutes ago, Vixie said:

but still I don't see every atx board on part picker with CEB compatibility... oh nevermind I just checked... yeah I do see that. Alright good enough thank you on that

The new case I picked does not explicitly support it actually. CEB is like an inch or so bigger so I want wonder if that's why or if I don't have to worry

5 minutes ago, brob said:

An EATX case should be fine. Although you should check the motherboard dimensions. Many current ATX cases would likely have enough room.

Worst case scenario I can transplant another pc of mine into the new case and then the new pc into the old case. I might do that anyways because the case I already have looks a lot more appropriate for the job. It has hot swap bays and stuff even though I probably won't use it...

One thing I'm a bit worried is possible upgrade paths and the extreme lack there of. The only reasonable thing I can do is upgrade the CPU to one with a better base clock but I doubt that would matter all that much with performance.
Besides that I can't see anything that doesn't include swapping out the motherboard entirely and buying a wayyyy more expensive cpu.

Oh and getting more ram but I'm not awfully worried about that. I'll see what I have free when I got everything set up though.

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $31.99 @ Amazon
Thermal Compound Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5 g Thermal Paste $6.65 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $42.99 @ Amazon
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTS 450 1 GB Video Card Purchased For $0.00
Case Rosewill TYRFING ATX Mid Tower Case $36.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA 400 W ATX Power Supply $39.99 @ Newegg
Custom Intel Xeon E5-2650 $32.99
Custom SAMSUNG MICRON HYNIX KINGSTON 16GB $44.99
Custom Dual Socket Motherboard E5CPU $135.99
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $372.58
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-04-20 10:41 EDT-0400  

After some more research I've came out to this. It's a bit over budget but I think I can do. The motherboard is stupidly expensive but gives me an easy upgrade path of simply getting another CPU. This should hopefully work? Do I need two CPUs for the board to function?

This is incredibly janky feeling to me I hope it works

Th current config is good but getting a ram with more speed like 2993mhz 3000mhz would be better.

If my answer is correct or is helpful please mark it as the solution. Quote me in your post to summon me. Beware that after summoning me ill never leave. 

55 minutes ago, Gamer4714 said:

Th current config is good but getting a ram with more speed like 2993mhz 3000mhz would be better.

I believe the list you are referencing is outdated.
Check my last post in the thread for the new one with my new research.
According to intel the chip only supports ddr4? (unless CPU ram support is backwards compatible but I'd be surprised if it were to be.)  So I got a board with ddr4 and new ddr4 ram.
Also the board is dual socket to allow myself an easier upgrade than before.

Edit:

Useful review. I now know I can use one CPU and that it is EATX. And that I can get it cheaper on aliexpress.

edit 2:  Nope I can't heh. Amazon is about the best I can get