Do I need more RAM?

Hey guys,

when I play BF4 and call with 2-3 people on Skype, I often notice brutal FPS drops, from stable 60 to like 10's and 20's for a second or two, if you played the BF4 beta, you know exactly what I'm talking about. So I checked the task manager and viola, RAM usage is at 98-99%. As you can see I have 2x4GB sticks, so this doesn't really seem legit to me, but did the time come to upgrade to 16GB?

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

I've heard that BF4 does use a fair bit. Do you have anything else open when playing? And have you tried playing without Skype to see if you still get the drops?

That's what'd seem like.

I recommend 16gb instead of 8gb nowadays 

I've heard that BF4 does use a fair bit. Do you have anything else open when playing? And have you tried playing without Skype to see if you still get the drops?

Not much, only the essentials - Origin, Steam, Battlelog and Skype. 

And no, I rarely get drops if I play alone with Skype only open in the background. 

What is strange tough the task manager shows my RAM is still full even tough I already quit the game and Skype call.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

I have 8gb and mine has never been at 100%, are you running you pc without a page file? Or custom set one?

What is that?

I'm kind of a noob when it comes to SW.

Not much, only the essentials - Origin, Steam, Battlelog and Skype. 

And no, I rarely get drops if I play alone with Skype only open in the background. 

What is strange tough the task manager shows my RAM is still full even tough I already quit the game and Skype call.

After a little research, it looks like some people get memory leaks with BF4. I'm not too sure how to fix it, but I don't think you need to upgrade yet. 

I'm running 8GB and it never gets above 75% usage.  There have been reported cases of memory leaks though, might want to check that out.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

What is that?

I'm kind of a noob when it comes to SW.

If you don't know then I wouldnt worry about it but will post a video for you in a sec.

Is it only during heavy firefights or all the time

8Gb usage doesn't seem natural unless you are rendering something in the background. 

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

After a little research, it looks like some people get memory leaks with BF4. I'm not too sure how to fix it, but I don't think you need to upgrade yet. 

They fixed that already, i am pretty sure.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

If you don't know then I wouldnt worry about it but will post a video for you in a sec.

During random moments, it happens most frequently in firefights but also when just running around etc.

As promised

[ /URL]

They fixed that already, i am pretty sure.

Actually, it is most likely that. My friend has 16GB RAM and had max 4GB usage during the game and the RAM cleaned when he quit, while mine is still full, 20 minutes after I quit the game. Ridiculous.

During random moments, it happens most frequently in firefights but also when just running around etc.

What gpu and settings are you on?

That's what'd seem like.

I recommend 16gb instead of 8gb nowadays 

Exactly. I recommend 16GB nowadays too. I always install 16GB in all my new builds. Times are changing, software and game engines are getting more and more advanced. The 8GB minimum rule is turning into 16GB now.

Ultimate 900D Build - Build Log (In Progress) - TheTechGenius MODs

What gpu and settings are you on?

I have a 660 and I play on high, I get stable 60FPS when I play alone, it's not my card causing the problem.

I know it might be a pain for you and your friend s but switching from Skype would be a good idea sicen Skype really takes a lot of your resources. I have started using Razer Comms for the past couple of months and it is much better and more suited for gaming. Obviously you have the other alternatives like Teamspeak, Mumble, etc. I would also suggest you try out some of the things mentioned HERE they helped me out a lot. I get 100fps sometimes dipping to 60-70 on the rig in my signature with medium settings 4x AA 1080p.

Actually, it is most likely that. My friend has 16GB RAM and had max 4GB usage during the game and the RAM cleaned when he quit, while mine is still full, 20 minutes after I quit the game. Ridiculous.

Then i would start looking for the problem elsewhere, I remember seeing it clearly in the change-log a while back. Unless someone can find a post proving the fact it is back, it's not BF4.

Spoiler

They said they fixed the sound stutter crash and I get that unless running it on mantle

Then i would start looking for the problem elsewhere, I remember seeing it clearly in the change-log a while back. Unless someone can find a post proving the fact it is back, it's not BF4.

DICE never fixed something completely, and if they did, they reintroduced it in the next update.

I did a bit of a research, I'm pretty sure BF4.exe causes memory leaks in the OS (Win 8). Any way to fix this without relying on DICE to get their sh*t together?

Hmm. I have 8GB with the pagefile turned off and the only time I ever had a low RAM warning was when I was trying to play a game with a ton of Chrome tabs and some programs open. I forget what the game was but I think it was BF4.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245