Best Home Router Non-Wifi

Sub-Black
Go to solution Solved by Falcon1986,
3 hours ago, Sub-Black said:

Thanks for the suggestion but from many reviews that I read people are recommending and upgrading to the UDM-Pro, I dont mind paying extra if its gonna last me a while. With that said do you think the UDM-Pro is better if you have some experience on it. 

Well, what do you need this router to do that is outside of a simple home network with multiple APs?

Most people who get the UDM-Pro would normally use it in conjunction with other Ubiquiti/UniFi hardware like their PoE APs and switches, to achieve granular control through the UniFi Controller. You can also add disk storage and Ubiquiti IP cameras for to a UniFi Protect setup. Plus, with it’s specifications, it can run IPS/IDS at 3.5Gbps!

If you need all of that and money is not an issue, then go right ahead.

But be forewarned: While Ubiquiti has good products, YOU are the support for your own hardware. The community forum is made up of experienced end-users which you’ll have to go to when you have issues. This is due to the company’s model and that’s why there are no licensing fees and reduced cost compared to other enterprise alternatives.

Hey, 

I'm thinking about upgrading my linksys ea9500. I have no issues with it whatsoever except with the web interface which is basically inaccessible after sometime even after resetting. 

I never used the router for its wifi since its in a detected room that basically insulates the wifi signal so a wifi router isnt really important to me. My house is set up with multiple AP with the router used just for its wire connection. 

From my research the only router I could find is the Ubiquity UDM-Pro, I wouldn't mind it since I have a server rack where the switches are. Is there a better option than the ubiquity and is the setup the same as any normal router or do I need other devices for it to work?

Thanks!

Non wifi generally means ethernet, which becomes a question of how many ports do you need?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

7 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Non wifi generally means ethernet, which becomes a question of how many ports do you need?

I already have a switch that solves the port problem, my main concern is the router.  I'd say using the switch there around about 8 AP connected to it and about 12 devices conntected, so in total 20 devices directly connected to the switch. 

1 minute ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

Thanks for the suggestion but from many reviews that I read people are recommending and upgrading to the UDM-Pro, I dont mind paying extra if its gonna last me a while. With that said do you think the UDM-Pro is better if you have some experience on it. 

The UDM-Pro has great hardware and the software, is, well, getting there.  I have one, and it's fast, oh my, is it fast, but it's still suffering some software issues.  I'm on a beta build right now because of issues with the production builds, if that gives you some sense.

if you can deal with a little fiddling, it's a great option.  If you can deal with a lot of fiddling, forget about a pre-build router and build a PC running software, that'll eat anything for breakfast for speed/features/etc, but stability and ease of use, not so much.

3 hours ago, Sub-Black said:

Well, what do you need this router to do that is outside of a simple home network with multiple APs?

Most people who get the UDM-Pro would normally use it in conjunction with other Ubiquiti/UniFi hardware like their PoE APs and switches, to achieve granular control through the UniFi Controller. You can also add disk storage and Ubiquiti IP cameras for to a UniFi Protect setup. Plus, with it’s specifications, it can run IPS/IDS at 3.5Gbps!

But be forewarned: While Ubiquiti has good products, YOU are the support for your own hardware. The community forum is made up of experienced end-users which you’ll have to go to when you have issues. This is due to the company’s model and that’s why there are no licensing fees and reduced cost compared to other enterprise alternatives.

38 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

hmm.. the only thing I mess with is the ports for plex.. thats about it. I am just looking for a reliable router that would be "future proof". The IPS/IDS sounds like a good option to have altho I have little knowledge about that. 

Thanks for your help! 

50 minutes ago, Sub-Black said:

hmm.. the only thing I mess with is the ports for plex.. thats about it. I am just looking for a reliable router that would be "future proof". The IPS/IDS sounds like a good option to have altho I have little knowledge about that. 

Thanks for your help! 

Future proof doesn’t happen in computing to the point that when it means anything it’s only for a period of time and only for particular systems.  Also even that isn’t always possible.  The best future proofing i have seen for wired stuff is to make the wires easily changeable.  Continuous advance seems to be the only commonality.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

The closest to future proof ethernet only router IMO is something like a high-end pfSense appliance, either official or unofficial (a PC).

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7