High pitched sound coming from PC when going through PowerPoint transitions!?!

Hi all, this is a strange one. 

I recently bought myself a copy of Microsoft Office 2019 student and home edition to use when making lessons for class. 

Since installing, it's been giving me a few issues that I'm struggling to come right on. 

The first, and arguably most frustrating, is the lag/delay that I experience when playing the PPT, particularly with animations.

When tapping on the space bar to trigger the next animation - nothing happens - then, when tapping the space bar a second or third time, the animation happens and the slide quickly moves to the next one. I've turned off "disable hardware graphics acceleration" with no improvement. The animations only show up as the PPT is transitioning to the next slide. 

I make the majority of these PPT at work on my 2016 version of office. Perhaps my 2019 version doesn't like it for some reason? 

The second issue that I'm having is just weird. Tried googling, but o no one else seems to have this problem. 

When the PPT is going through a transition, a strange high pitched sound comes from my pc during the duration of the transition. 

This is particularly noticeable during longer animated transitions like "Fall over" or "crush". 

The sound itself sounds almost like a coil whine. I have no idea if its coming from the MB, CPU, GPU or what. It's just weird. 

Has anyone heard anything like this?   

My pc specs are: 

GPU: RX 5600 XT Sapphire Pulse

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 

MB: MSI B450 gaming Carbon pro  

Ram: 16gb 

PSU: seasonic focus 750w gold 

The sound is likely caused by electrical noise that's produced by your CPU while it's processing the animation

Try unplugging your speakers, see if it goes away

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Thanks for the reply. 

I have a feeling the sounds coming from the CPU. It does sound electrical. 

I don't have any speaker plugged in other than the built in ones from my monitor. 

I do have a headset plugged in. Tried unplugging it but the sound is still there. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Paddlepop,

i was just expierencing this myself. Very strange behaviour.

I had a pptx file with some texts and pictures, few slides, nothing fancy.

all worked perfectly fine and fast. but when i add just one animation to any picture like fade in (it really doesn't matter which one, any of them does it) and then i start the presentation my PC makes the same noise you are describing when it comes to the picture. i also think it comes from my CPU. furthermore, the slides don't continue when i click.
since i have some audio files, i can hear that the next slide is "happening" because of the audio, but the slide with the animated picture stays on, as if it is frozen.

i remove the animation, and voila, everything works perfectly normal again. the same thing happens when i add an animation between slides.

i'm so very confused and frustrated. i tried to repair powepoint via system configuration in windows. but nothing changed after that.

funny thing ist, if i save the pptx file and open it on my laptop, everything works as it should be, including the animation effect.

i made some tests with empty powerpoint files and nothing but a picture with an animation. same thing, the noise and the freezing...

did you find any solution to this problem? or maybe somebody else has an idea? also really hard to google such problem...

I use MS Office 2019

My pc specs are: 

GPU: RX 6900 xt

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x with dark rock pro 4

MB: MSI X570 MEG unify

Ram: 32gb crucial ballistix

PSU: enermax revolution df 850w

On 4/18/2021 at 2:39 PM, Paddlepop said:

Hi all, this is a strange one. 

I recently bought myself a copy of Microsoft Office 2019 student and home edition to use when making lessons for class. 

Since installing, it's been giving me a few issues that I'm struggling to come right on. 

The first, and arguably most frustrating, is the lag/delay that I experience when playing the PPT, particularly with animations.

When tapping on the space bar to trigger the next animation - nothing happens - then, when tapping the space bar a second or third time, the animation happens and the slide quickly moves to the next one. I've turned off "disable hardware graphics acceleration" with no improvement. The animations only show up as the PPT is transitioning to the next slide. 

I make the majority of these PPT at work on my 2016 version of office. Perhaps my 2019 version doesn't like it for some reason? 

The second issue that I'm having is just weird. Tried googling, but o no one else seems to have this problem. 

When the PPT is going through a transition, a strange high pitched sound comes from my pc during the duration of the transition. 

This is particularly noticeable during longer animated transitions like "Fall over" or "crush". 

The sound itself sounds almost like a coil whine. I have no idea if its coming from the MB, CPU, GPU or what. It's just weird. 

Has anyone heard anything like this?   

My pc specs are: 

GPU: RX 5600 XT Sapphire Pulse

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 

MB: MSI B450 gaming Carbon pro  

Ram: 16gb 

PSU: seasonic focus 750w gold 

I just found a solution!

I dont know why but this response in an office help forum worked for me:

"As per your issue with Microsoft PowerPoint running slowly you can check the following and verify the results. In PowerPoint go to File> Options> Advanced and check 'disable hardware graphics acceleration'."

After i did that, everything worked fine for me!

yeahh

• 1 year later...
On 5/11/2021 at 1:00 AM, Pika Pikajew said:

I just found a solution!

I dont know why but this response in an office help forum worked for me:

"As per your issue with Microsoft PowerPoint running slowly you can check the following and verify the results. In PowerPoint go to File> Options> Advanced and check 'disable hardware graphics acceleration'."

After i did that, everything worked fine for me!

yeahh

It does work, yet in exchange with transition smoothness (between slides). Looks nothing but laggy. As long as the noise coming from the cpu is nothing serious that could cause a problem in the future, I personally prefer having smooth transitions over some noise. Thanks though for letting us know what causes the cpu making noise, although it is a really strange phenomenon that to my opinion is illogical.