System for live-game "chat"

3xq

(a) I think this is the right place to post this - but I realize that since it's not a "new" build (unless convinced) that this is a little odd

Budget (including currency): $100 (USD) (preferred - all told, $500 - see details)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

Webcam capture (multiple)

Audio capture

Display of online call (e.g., Zoom)

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

As our area is working on coming out from human-malware (pronounced: Co-vid) and getting vaccinated and what not, my wife and I are prepping to host group games again, but it's going to look a lot different during the transition phase at least.

What we're thinking - Each person that comes in-person, will have a space at the table with a camera and and a mic and a small screen - all cameras are captured and formatted into a grid-view and sent into a web call (with all mics mixed in for audio), video feed back from call displayed on screens and audio sent to headphones.

(as many as 8 people in-person)

I understand that a single USB controller can take at most 4 USB cameras in, so..., 

This is my idea, do you see any problems with it? (hoping to not buy a bunch of equipment and have it not work)

My questions:

• Am I correct in thinking that each of those cards would have it's own USB controller?
  • Do you think my CPU (AMD Ryzen 5 3400G) will handle the cameras into OBS without issue (also not sure whether or not 16 GB of RAM will be sufficient, but that's easier to upgrade)?
  • If I could find some somewhat cheap HDMI cameras, I'ld like to pivot and use an external mixer to merge them all together (something like This one or two Blackmagic Atom Mini), Any recommendations on hdmi cameras to use instead?
  • If I'm calculating this right, the PCIE slots should be able to handle many-many 1080p signals, without saturation - does that sound right??

Edited by 3xq
embedding links

• 8 months later...

To follow up (for anyone that finds this in the future) - 

Wound up building this: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/Tdskcf

Which worked, although when a setting got mixed up and the workaround was to flip the composite over in OBS, CPU was pegging at 99-100%, and not handling OBS + Zoom + Chrome well. Opted to upgrade CPU (and integrated graphics and motherboard): https://pcpartpicker.com/b/Zg27YJ (in addition to fixing the setting in Zoom.)