Green dots / Flickering

TheDude

Hey guys, I turned on my PC and noticed my monitor had these green dots/flickering going on. Any ideas on what it could be? I tried resetting power and hdmi connection. 

Montir flickering.MOV

Couldn’t make video load.  All I got was spiny wheel. Green flecks can mean a bad gpu. Will likely need full system specs including gpu driver versions and gpu make and model.  Perhaps it might be just a driver issue.  The news may not be good though

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

20 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Couldn’t make video load.  All I got was spiny wheel. Green flecks can mean a bad gpu. Will likely need full system specs including gpu driver versions and gpu make and model.  Perhaps it might be just a driver issue.  The news may not be good though

I read that it could be a bad GPU too. I sure hope not. I should've mentioned this is just happening on my second monitor which is hooked up by HDMI. The main display is connected through display port and has no issues. I tired a different HDMI port on the GPU and same issue. Below is the specs.

GPU: ASUS 3080 Strix with the latest drivers 

Monitor having issues: HP VH240a https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072M34RQC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

8 minutes ago, TheDude said:

I read that it could be a bad GPU too. I sure hope not. I should've mentioned this is just happening on my second monitor which is hooked up by HDMI. The main display is connected through display port and has no issues. I tired a different HDMI port on the GPU and same issue. Below is the specs.

GPU: ASUS 3080 Strix with the latest drivers 

Monitor having issues: HP VH240a https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072M34RQC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

I haven’t herd a “they all do that” sort of thing with 1080p second monitors if first monitor is of X size” or anything.  There’s so little data on 3080s I don’t know if that means anything though. To randomly grasp at straws- Do you get the flecks if it’s the only monitor you use? Has the monitor displayed clear on anything else? The things that stay the same in the test is the monitor, the fact that it’s a second monitor, and that HDMI is used.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 4/16/2021 at 2:42 PM, Bombastinator said:

I haven’t herd a “they all do that” sort of thing with 1080p second monitors if first monitor is of X size” or anything.  There’s so little data on 3080s I don’t know if that means anything though. To randomly grasp at straws- Do you get the flecks if it’s the only monitor you use? Has the monitor displayed clear on anything else? The things that stay the same in the test is the monitor, the fact that it’s a second monitor, and that HDMI is used.

So it ended up being something I should've done in my first tests...a change in an hdmi cord was the solution.