Lagging sound on Playstation when using bitstream audio

NuVista175

Hello

I've got a bit of a problem with sound lag from both my Playstation consoles connected to my Samsung TV and sound on the console is DTS or Dolby. Today, I've checked how much it actually is and from what I can see it's about 300ms delay of the sound that comes out from my AV surround receiver. I can switch my PS5 to use Linear PCM, that will completely fix the lag issue, the problem then is that the sound is  - not good - for lack of better words. I don't mean the sound quality, that's probably just fine, but there's no surround at all. It might be 2-channels + C. I have of course search for this problem and know that I'm not alone. If I understand things correctly, this problem comes when the Playstation is sending bitstream audio to the Samsung TV and from there to the AV receiver through ARC. My Samsung Q7FN adds around 300ms of sound lag. Most of the time it's not a big deal, but i still hate it.

Does anyone else have the same problem? Is there anything that can be done to fix or at least work around the problem?

I filmed my TV with my iPhone today and put in on top of the saved game play file of short run in Destiny II earlier today. Just shooting 3 times on the wall to illustrate the problem. It was in Final Cut Pro that I realised that it was about 300ms lag. (See attached clip)

Any tips or suggestions are extremely welcome!

// Robert

Is there any delay adjustment on the receiver? Can you have the PS5 go HDMI - TV - optical - receiver for the sound? 

Yes, I have settings like that both on the receiver and the TV, but everything is set to 0.

24 minutes ago, NuVista175 said:

Yes, I have settings like that both on the receiver and the TV, but everything is set to 0.

I know my LG OLED has a sound delay option, it buffers the frames for a few seconds to fix desync like that. I ended up changing my setup around to avoid the problem altogether, but check if that's an option. If it comes to it, you may need to add 9 frames.

Thanks for the idea but I'm afraid that's not an option for me. It's not possible on my Samsung TV. The Marantz (AV receiver) have some option when it comes to "lip sync" and audio/video delay but I will sacrifice HDR if going through that instead of directly to the TV. If it was possible, that would make timing critical manoeuvres really hard I guess, like catching and returning spears or arrows in AC Valhalla. Right now, I'm changing the sound on the PS5 whenever I'm going to play a game where audio in sync with the video is needed, otherwise the better sound experience with good surround sound wins 9 out of 10 I would say.

Again, thanks!

Are there any Samsung owners here that have got the same issue?

Have you found a solution? If so - what did you do to work around the problem?

I've seen posts talking about "HDMI audio extractor" or something like that. A small box where you connect the HDMI from the source in one end, you can then connect you TV to it and at the same time bring the audio from that box to your receiver with an optical cable. That might work but that will only work for one of my sources, ie. the PS5. When switching over to the PS4 (where I experience the exact same problem) it will not go through that extractor box and the annoying audio delay will be back.

I would really like for Samsung to fix this with a software update, but I'm not even sure they have acknowledge this problem.

// Robert 

• 3 weeks later...

When testing some AVRs in the past I find out that bitstreaming audio, both Dolby and DTS, have horrible audio delay, not the TV's fault. It's better to set to PCM but it's just unfortunate that we would normally have to 'upgrade' AVR for HDMI 2.1 functionality, so PS5 can be connected into it for multichannel PCM to work..

If only your TV supports eARC then there would be workaround to get both PS5's HDMI 2.1 features and multichannel PCM by using SHARC eARC audio converter. I've used it myself and it works, and I also tested that eARC passthrough didn't add extra latency.

At the moment I don't see any good solution other than:

1. Deal with bitstreaming delay, nothing can fix that

2. Deal with stereo PCM, You could try upmixing with Pro Logic II(x) or Dolby Surround Upmixer, but upmixing stereo is usually bad for games as it doesn't predict sound localization. And upmixing will add some delay...

3. Get new TV with eARC support and get SHARC eARC audio converter

4. Get new AVR with HDMI 2.1 support

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820

• 2 years later...

Hi there @NuVista175

If it helps at all, I managed to get surround PCM sound from my PS5 to a LG Sound Bar (SP8YA with SPK8 rear speakers) passing through an LG CX.  The CX has an option under Settings > Sound > Additional Settings called Digital Audio Out, by default it's set to Auto but I changed it Pass Through. Also, I made sure that all the ports under HDMI Input Audio Format are set as Bitstream instead of PCM. Then the audio goes to the sound bar via E-ARC. Supposedly, E-ARC allows 7.1 PCM, while regular ARC only up to 5.1. Anything lower than that, like optical, requires changing from PCM to either Dolby or DTS which are compressed surround audio streams. If you have to use Dolby or DTS, try checking if your TV is set to Pass Through. Hope this helps!