What GPU should I use?

Hmour

My previous computer died and I have decided to build one. I want to use it for flight simulation (MSFS2020), video editing (DaVinci Resolve) and Java programming (Eclipse).

I found out that it is impossible to find a good GPU for a reasonable price and decided to use an old Gt 9800 I had repared but from what I have read, the shortage is not going to end soon...

Should I just continue with my initial plan or is there anything else I could do? (I am not willing to pay more than 450€)

9 minutes ago, Hmour said:

My previous computer died and I have decided to build one. I want to use it for flight simulation (MSFS2020), video editing (DaVinci Resolve) and Java programming (Eclipse).

I found out that it is impossible to find a good GPU for a reasonable price and decided to use an old Gt 9800 I had repared but from what I have read, the shortage is not going to end soon...

Should I just continue with my initial plan or is there anything else I could do? (I am not willing to pay more than 450€)

Dude, for MSFS2020 I doubt you'd even get to the loading screen with a GT 9800. That sim is extremely demanding

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

2 minutes ago, AMD A10-9600P said:

Dude, for MSFS2020 I doubt you'd even get to the loading screen with a GT 9800. That sim is extremely demanding

Never heard of the word "Interim"?

Anyway, for OP, by that price you can get 3060Ti at MSRP in normal price, and itll blow most 450 eur card you can get right now. So imo, you should wait and use the integrated graphics or that 9800GT to boot your PC for now.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

1 minute ago, SorryClaire said:

Never heard of the word "Interim"?

Anyway, for OP, by that price you can get 3060Ti at MSRP in normal price, and itll blow most 450 eur card you can get right now. So imo, you should wait and use the integrated graphics or that 9800GT to boot your PC for now.

Yeah I've definitely heard of interim, but a GT 9800 wouldn't even be enough to load MSFS in the mean time. It's a card from 2008 and MSFS makes even the most recent and powerful cards sweat.

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

Seeing as the GPU shortage could go on for another year or two you'll have to decide yourself if you can wait that long. Your GT9800 won't deliver a playable experience in MSFS2020, or any other recent game. If you want to play the sim in the next year or so you might not have a choice, but buy an overprice GPU.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 minute ago, Stahlmann said:

If you want to play the sim in the next year or so you might not have a choice, but buy an overprice GPU.

Is there a cheap GPU (or array) I can buy for a usable experience in the neantime? If not, I will have to wait...

5 minutes ago, Hmour said:

Is there a cheap GPU (or array) I can buy for a usable experience in the neantime? If not, I will have to wait...

Depends on what you can find that is available to you. 

If you are buying used, something like a GTX 1070 / GTX 1080 or a 5500XT / 5600XT.  If you are buying new, maybe a RTX 2060 if you can find one. Alternatively, on the lower end maybe a GTX 1650, those are not really sought after for mining so you might be able to get one for about 200-250 Euro.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

8 minutes ago, Analog said:

Alternatively, on the lower end maybe a GTX 1650, those are not really sought after for mining so you might be able to get one for about 200-250 Euro.

The cheapest 1650 costs 300€ and the cheapest 2060 600€... 

I might try to get something from ebay...

Edit: Most listings are about boxes or photos so I will have to buy something from somewhere else.

From my experience Ebay's cards are too expensive. See if you have something like a local marketplace where you can maybe find one and pick it up. Those usually have better deals.

The GT 9800 you have is 99% sure not going to start MSFS2020 at all. If you have an iGPU, use that since it's probably a lot better.

Another card you could look for is the RX470, RX480, RX570 or RX580. But only the 4GB version, the 8GB is too expensive right now. They can be found for €100-€200.

5 minutes ago, FRD said:

If you have an iGPU, use that since it's probably a lot better.

Unfortunately, I don't have an iGPU but I just thought of a "local marketplace" and I will check that.