Dead RAM Slot?

LuxBit

Hey guys,

I need some help troubleshooting a RAM problem.

Spec:

Ryzen 5 2600

MSI A320M PRO M2 V2

Memory

Crucial DDR4 8GB 2133 MHz

GSKILL DDR4 16GB 3000 MHz

This motherboard only has 2 slots, so it is impossible to have a wrong RAM slot configuration

However one of the RAM slots is not working. The system will keep restarting when it only has a single DIMM in the non-working slot. Both DIMMs are working fine in the other slot.

So I suspected the RAM slot to be dead, however when I put in 2 DIMMs, both show up in BIOS, but only the one in the working slot is used. See screenshot below.

Any ideas?

The slot worked previously.

I reset CMOS and I flashed the BIOS with the newest stable version. There is a beta version though, should I try that?

Thanks in advance 

IMG_8731.jpg

2 minutes ago, LuxBit said:

Crucial DDR4 8GB 2133 MHz

GSKILL DDR4 16GB 3000 MHz

This motherboard only has 2 slots, so it is impossible to have a wrong RAM slot configuration

You're mixing different RAM modules that most likely have different timings. Ryzen systems tend to be very selective about what RAM you use and more importantly mix with.  The system will probably only pick the one with the largest amount of RAM available. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

it could be that the slot is dirty and cant fully communicate with the motherboard

Just now, SpiderMan said:

You're mixing different RAM modules that most likely have different timings. Ryzen systems tend to be very selective about what RAM you use and more importantly mix with.  The system will probably only pick the one with the largest amount of RAM available. 

It is showing that the 3000 MHz DIMM is running at 2133 MHz, so it should be fine. Also this still does not explain why single DIMMs are not working in one slot while working fine in the other one.

Just now, chudtopia said:

it could be that the slot is dirty and cant fully communicate with the motherboard

MoBo is in mint condition, no dust or anything. Both slots look identical.

4 minutes ago, chudtopia said:

how long have you had this motherboard

I bought it used, but it looks like new. 

if you have some, maybe you could use some isopropyl alcohol and clean the slot

6 minutes ago, LuxBit said:

It is showing that the 3000 MHz DIMM is running at 2133 MHz, so it should be fine. Also this still does not explain why single DIMMs are not working in one slot while working fine in the other one.

Still very strange to be using different RAM sticks...

Have you tried to reseat the CPU?

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

9 minutes ago, LuxBit said:

I think your issue is two fold. When both are in, because that mobo is dual channel you are going to have issues with RAM that isn't the same size/speed, which is why you are only seeing 16GB. The second issue is that being dual channel your CPU is probably pinging channel A, not seeing RAM and then not booting. I don't think a slot is dead, it just is Channel B and unless Channel A is populated it won't work. It also won't work when the twos sticks aren't the same.

Here is a good link on dual channel memory: https://help.ramcity.com.au/hc/en-us/articles/360001144336-What-is-Dual-Channel-Mode-

Just now, SpiderMan said:

Still very strange to be using different RAM sticks...

Have you tried to reseat the CPU?

while your at it, check and make sure that there are no bent pins

1 minute ago, RegulatorRWF said:

I think your issue is two fold. When both are in, because that mobo is dual channel you are going to have issues with RAM that isn't the same size/speed, which is why you are only seeing 16GB. The second issue is that being dual channel your CPU is probably pinging channel A, not seeing RAM and then not booting. I don't think a slot is dead, it just is Channel B and unless Channel A is populated it won't work. It also won't work when the twos sticks aren't the same.

Here is a good link on dual channel memory: https://help.ramcity.com.au/hc/en-us/articles/360001144336-What-is-Dual-Channel-Mode-

In addition to this, also different RAM manufacturers. 

2 minutes ago, chudtopia said:

while your at it, check and make sure that there are no bent pins

It's a good idea to do so as well; great tip!

I bought the motherboard as part of a working system. It had only 8 GB in Channel B and it stopped working without any memory being added or removed before.

Thanks for the help so far.

I will reseat the CPU and check the pins next.

Have you clean the ram stick?

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

35 minutes ago, LuxBit said:

It had only 8 GB in Channel B and it stopped working without any memory being added or removed before

Well then I'm completely out of ideas, best of luck.

1 hour ago, LuxBit said:

Thanks for the help so far.

I will reseat the CPU and check the pins next.

did you notice any pins bent and if not reseated it?

On 4/13/2021 at 10:38 PM, chudtopia said:

did you notice any pins bent and if not reseated it?

Yes and a pin was bent. I fixed it and both memory channels are now working perfectly.

I still don’t understand why it worked previously, anyhow it is working now 🙂

Thanks everyone for helping out

Cheers

00583339-FA63-4D9F-9413-45C915D86395.jpeg