Don't buy DELL G series laptops (RANT)

So last month I bought a laptop called Dell G5 SE 5505 with a Ryzen 5 4600h and a Rx5600m graphics card, (Dave2D reviewed the laptop and said the graphics card is faster than an RX2060, most reviews from reputable sources weren't has as negative as they should have been) but this laptop has had only problems since release, partly due to dell and partly due to windows, so the issues I have are faced by a significant amount of people, these issues include over heating of laptop (I know gaming laptops run hot but not this hot), bad drivers, a monstrosity called smartshift which causes the CPU to thermal throttle and GPU to power throttle and bad SSDs which get so hot that they crash the system.

What does dell do? they release a bios update which doesn't help much for thermals but under-clocks the GPU so heavily that it performs like a gtx1650, when you reach out to dell support they force you to reinstall windows and install that slow shitty bios, they send an older version of AMD radeon driver so that every damn time windows updates our driver is downgraded (older version gets installed without consent) you can't turn off SMT even if you want to and guess what this laptop is now under "long term support only" that is they wont release any bios update to fix all the shit they did. The biggest problem is bad engineering, the heat sink is so poorly engineered that it doesn't dissipate heat effectively and bad thermal paste application doesn't help either.

(You can verify this stuff for others too if you check the subreddit r/DELLG5SE) for the past month it hasn't been gaming but troubleshooting for my free time, when I contact dell support most of the times they ask me to the same goddamn thing again and again, Why TF should I need to turn off turbo boost  in the first place!!!

When I try to game right now, my GPU is always bottlenecked, not due to heat (new thermal paste helped with the GPU at least) but with power because smartshift somehow decides that that specific game needs CPU to be faster even when it is over heating so it takes power from GPU and shoves it to the CPU causing even greater thermal problems.

DONT buy the Dell G5SE

6 minutes ago, Haraikomono said:

gaming laptops cause too much expectations from customers.

Id say pretty normal situation

I'm pretty sure I didn't have too much expectation when I expected that my laptop shouldn't crash because of bad SSD (hynix BC511) it goes to high 80C while gaming, also i didn't expect too much when I expected that the new bios update wouldn't kill performance and improve thermals as they promised

I mean these issues were readily out there from week one and this laptop was a do not buy thermal problem known case. So really do your research really well next time and if there is any mention of it running within 10c of max temp skip avoid do not buy ignore delete it from your list. It also was a first gen product in a budget gaming laptop from dell aka it was doomed to fail basically.

Shouldn't have bought a Dell...

Seriously, though, the only good laptops Dell makes are the XPS line. Everything else is shight.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

4 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

Shouldn't have bought a Dell...

Seriously, though, the only good laptops Dell makes are the XPS line. Everything else is shight.

The precision workstation line is pretty good, but it's not for gaming (well, it's not aimed at gamers) but otherwise, any of the consumer-oriented line from HP, Dell, Acer, etc are naff.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me.