GPU for photo editing

Jamesev
Go to solution Solved by boggy77,
5 minutes ago, Hibyemy said:

its photoshop not blender render and how long does it even take to load a 25mb image 

Image files are in the 80-100mb range these days. And if you’re say stitching 10 of those together it can get quite beefy.

Just now, Jamesev said:

Image files are in the 80-100mb range these days. And if you’re say stitching 10 of those together it can get quite beefy.

ig but like 100$ for less than second faster is ehhhh luxury 

2 minutes ago, Jamesev said:

This is part of the confusion with all the various letters/numbers. What’s the fundamental difference between x570 and b550?

I was fairly set on ASUS but I heard MSI are good and if I’m. It going the crosshair route and the TUF would be a faff upgrading the bios then I’m not erring towards the Tomahawk. Would the 

MAG B550 Tomahawk or

MAG X570 Tomahawk

Suffice. I read the MSI hierarchy is 

MEG - top of the line

MPG

MAG - Florence for workstations

most build guides seem to be all set up for gaming purposes which throws a spanner in the works when the prime function is to have a beast of an editing PC.

so to quote from msi's website:

Who Should Upgrade to the X570 Platform?

Some professionals may need even more power and extensibility than what the B550 platform can offer. For such professionals, MSI’s X570 motherboards are the ideal choice. If any of the following apply to you, the X570 platform is a better choice:
  • You use more than 4 USB 3.1 devices
  • You use more than 6 SATA devices
  • You use more than 3 Gen 4 M.2 SSDs

as for what mobo to get, again, i'd go for gigabyte aorus master, asus strix f or e or msi tomahawk

1 minute ago, Hibyemy said:

ig but like 100$ for less than second faster is ehhhh luxury 

again, OP wants the best photo editing machine. you keep forgetting that.

6 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

well if value isn't priority then sure i can see it 

6 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

Right? The higher upfront cost is relatively small compared to the money gained by OP for doing his job faster. 

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

1 minute ago, Fatih19 said:

Right? The higher upfront cost is relatively small compared to the money gained by OP for doing his job faster. 

makes sense just its like very small difference just cause PCIe 4.0 Bandwidth is pretty much only relavent for when doing very heavy i/o workloads  smaller images thats not like 200mb or whatever ur probally not even gonna notice it 

12 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

so to quote from msi's website:

Who Should Upgrade to the X570 Platform?

Some professionals may need even more power and extensibility than what the B550 platform can offer. For such professionals, MSI’s X570 motherboards are the ideal choice. If any of the following apply to you, the X570 platform is a better choice:
  • You use more than 4 USB 3.1 devices
  • You use more than 6 SATA devices
  • You use more than 3 Gen 4 M.2 SSDs

as for what mobo to get, again, i'd go for gigabyte aorus master, asus strix f or e or msi tomahawk

Sorry to keep coming back with questions. I do try to Google them before I ask back. The whole lettering. / numbering is a minefield.

with the motherboards I’ve been looking at the ASUS Strix (I see that Strix seems to be the next up from TUF) B550 (I’m thinking B550 now rather than X570 because what you said I’m unlikely to go more than 2 m.2s and 3 sata ssds. What’s the difference between the E , F , XE, I etc lettering?

12 minutes ago, Jamesev said:

Sorry to keep coming back with questions. I do try to Google them before I ask back. The whole lettering. / numbering is a minefield.

with the motherboards I’ve been looking at the ASUS Strix (I see that Strix seems to be the next up from TUF) B550 (I’m thinking B550 now rather than X570 because what you said I’m unlikely to go more than 2 m.2s and 3 sata ssds. What’s the difference between the E , F , XE, I etc lettering?

strix e has a bit more features. it has 2x pciex16 slots, so it supports sli/crossfire, has better vrms, and a bit better connectivity (more usb's or something).

they are both adequate for a 5950x, it's up to you whether you need the extra features of the strix-e or not.

the strix-a is identical to the strix-f, just comes in a different colour.

the xe has even better vrms than the -e, but all the other features and design are the same

11 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

strix e has a bit more features. it has 2x pciex16 slots, so it supports sli/crossfire, has better vrms, and a bit better connectivity (more usb's or something).

they are both adequate for a 5950x, it's up to you whether you need the extra features of the strix-e or not.

the strix-a is identical to the strix-f, just comes in a different colour.

the xe has even better vrms than the -e, but all the other features and design are the same

You’re just making me look up new terms now!!! lol. Yeah I can’t see myself using multiple GPUs so SLI/Crossfire aren’t on my wants radar.

1 hour ago, Jamesev said:

You’re just making me look up new terms now!!! lol. Yeah I can’t see myself using multiple GPUs so SLI/Crossfire aren’t on my wants radar.

i think it's down to cost at this point. what country/shops are you buying from?

5 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

i think it's down to cost at this point. what country/shops are you buying from?

Have parts detailed on Amazon / CCL / Box / PCParts picker to see if where the best prices are. Budget about £2500

Thanks everyone for taking time to contribute and apologies for my ineptitude in all this

18 hours ago, boggy77 said:

is the ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280 72.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler what they call an AIO - do those have the thermal paste pre applied so you just put the backplate on the Mobo and attach?

The other puzzle is about cases and rad sizes. Obviously the bigget the rad and rad fans the more heat exchange but I always get puzzled with the build videos about knowing if a case can take a 28 or a 36 do ca\se makers make it obvious what size rad can be put in?

43 minutes ago, Jamesev said:

is the ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280 72.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler what they call an AIO - do those have the thermal paste pre applied so you just put the backplate on the Mobo and attach?

yes and yes

43 minutes ago, Jamesev said:

The other puzzle is about cases and rad sizes. Obviously the bigget the rad and rad fans the more heat exchange but I always get puzzled with the build videos about knowing if a case can take a 28 or a 36 do ca\se makers make it obvious what size rad can be put in?

you either look up the case specifications. they mention what rads you can fit. or you use pcpartpicker, which has a built in compatibility checker that works 90% of the time.

On 4/14/2021 at 9:02 AM, boggy77 said:

yes and yes

you either look up the case specifications. they mention what rads you can fit. or you use pcpartpicker, which has a built in compatibility checker that works 90% of the time.

would this pass muster?

Component   Selection    
CPU     AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor    
CPU Cooler     ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler    
Motherboard     Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard    
Memory     Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory    
Storage     Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive    
Storage     Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive    
Case     Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic ATX Full Tower Case    
Power Supply     Asus ROG Strix 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  

GPU - when they become available at a decent price  circa £350

1 minute ago, Jamesev said:

yes, looks good. just remember the 5950 doesn't have an integrated gpu so you won't be able to use the pc until you buy a gpu.

1 hour ago, boggy77 said:

yes, looks good. just remember the 5950 doesn't have an integrated gpu so you won't be able to use the pc until you buy a gpu.

yes part of the frustration at the moment especially as 5950x's occasionally become available.

2 minutes ago, Jamesev said:

yes part of the frustration at the moment especially as 5950x's occasionally become available.

that's why I was recommending 5800/5900 for photoshop, the performance will be similar, they are cheaper and more available.

On 4/15/2021 at 2:13 PM, boggy77 said:

that's why I was recommending 5800/5900 for photoshop, the performance will be similar, they are cheaper and more available.

Have gone for the STRIX-E rather than the F as the E has a USB type C header as does the case i'm planning on

• 1 month later...
On 4/15/2021 at 2:13 PM, boggy77 said:

managed to get one for £670

@Jamesev

The GPU can make a difference.

But tbh if you are working with images professionally, you should invest in a 10bit workflow.

That means a monitor capable of displaying 10bit per channel natively (no FRC or emulation) and a GPU that can support that.

Then in Photoshop, you'd need to enable 10bit rendering and make sure you work with images in 16bit mode, at least.

If you have the money and image editing is your line of work, I would strongly recommend going for a 10bit workflow.

You will notice significant differences in what you can output, much finer gradients, no banding, it will make your output look professional.

On 5/20/2021 at 12:55 PM, TudorF said:

@Jamesev

The GPU can make a difference.

But tbh if you are working with images professionally, you should invest in a 10bit workflow.

That means a monitor capable of displaying 10bit per channel natively (no FRC or emulation) and a GPU that can support that.

Then in Photoshop, you'd need to enable 10bit rendering and make sure you work with images in 16bit mode, at least.

If you have the money and image editing is your line of work, I would strongly recommend going for a 10bit workflow.

You will notice significant differences in what you can output, much finer gradients, no banding, it will make your output look professional.

Would a BENQ SW321C suffice?

@Jamesev

BENQ SW321C looks like a decent choice for professional photo editing.

You could also look into what Eizo has to offer, some of their models come with a built-in calibration sensor and a light-shielding hood.

For such an expense it might be worth doing some research, check reviews and see how panel uniformity is rated, how many I/O ports, software bundled, etc.