Overclock fail

Hi guys. I tried to oc my old cpu but it doesn't want to be overclocked even 100mhz. I didn't change the voltages. Its rebooting 2 times and goes back to stock clock. Temps are good, not overheating. Can anyone help me?

Cpu:q9550 4c/4t 2.83ghz

Motherboard: Gigabyte G41MT-S2PT rev 1.1

22 minutes ago, MNiyazi said:

Hi guys. I tried to oc my old cpu but it doesn't want to be overclocked even 100mhz. I didn't change the voltages. Its rebooting 2 times and goes back to stock clock. Temps are good, not overheating. Can anyone help me?

Cpu:q9550 4c/4t 2.83ghz

Motherboard: Gigabyte G41MT-S2PT rev 1.1

Core 2quads don’t overclock like regular modern intel.  it’s going to need its own process. probably gonna have to look it up. I did it once but it was a very very long time ago.  That particular PC is gathering dust in my basement as my emergency backup.  It’s also not something I would let near the internet.  Intel never did a specter/meltdown mitigation for those.  

My memory is core2 quads would only actually overclock well on a few motherboards which were all made by intel.  I’ve long since forgotten the methodology for OC with a non intel board.  Iirc it wasn’t super effective and wasn’t at all standard though. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

@MNiyazi Increase the CPU voltage. On Core 2 CPUs, you might need to change the memory speed. When you overclock the front side bus, it increases the memory speed. In the BIOS you need to change the memory multiplier so the memory speed does not run too fast or else it will not be stable. Do not increase the bus speed by 1 or 2 MHz at a time. Increase the bus speed by 33 MHz or by 66 MHz. This is how to overclock Core 2 Duo.  

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

it wasn’t super effective

I could reliably overclock my Core 2 Duo E6400 by over 60%. Today if you overclock a CPU by 5% or 10% it is a big deal. Back then, 50% overclocks were common. This is not a high end board but it does have the Intel chipset so one should be able to overclock it more than 100 MHz.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

It’s also not something I would let near the internet.

Why not? I would feel much safer running an antique computer like this on the internet. No worries about losing any sensitive data. 

2 hours ago, unclewebb said:

@MNiyazi Increase the CPU voltage. On Core 2 CPUs, you might need to change the memory speed. When you overclock the front side bus, it increases the memory speed. In the BIOS you need to change the memory multiplier so the memory speed does not run too fast or else it will not be stable. Do not increase the bus speed by 1 or 2 MHz at a time. Increase the bus speed by 33 MHz or by 66 MHz. This is how to overclock Core 2 Duo.  

I could reliably overclock my Core 2 Duo E6400 by over 60%. Today if you overclock a CPU by 5% or 10% it is a big deal. Back then, 50% overclocks were common. This is not a high end board but it does have the Intel chipset so one should be able to overclock it more than 100 MHz.

Why not? I would feel much safer running an antique computer like this on the internet. No worries about losing any sensitive data. 

Core2 duo was not the same as the core4 duo stuff.  Yes older stuff OCed a LOT better than modern stuff.  I didn’t think a 60% OC was possible on core4 stuff at all.  I remember though that it was weird to OC because of some stuff intel did.  They fixed it on some of their motherboards so if you wanted a big OC you had to use their boards, so I ordered one. Had one of those intel skulls on it even.  Had to wait months. I did OC an 8400 into 9 series territory.  I don’t remember what clock it was. The thing has been sitting dusty in my basement for years.  Good chance the cmos is gone and I’d have to replace the motherboard battery to even attempt to get it going again.

As for the security thing I said one reason.  A lot of people don’t worry about specter/meltdown though.  

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.