Looking to see if my build needs upgrading, and if so, on what?

Go to solution Solved by Komenjoka,

Hi, @baranpaksoy!

About PC:

CPU: I recommend upgrade CPU to 6-8 cores. The choice depends who You like more, Intel or AMD. From Intel i suggest I7-10700K or I5-10600K. From AMD i suggest Ryzen 7 5800X or Ryzen 5 5600x.

MOBO: After you have choosen CPU is MOBO(motherboard, main board). The main thing in motherboard is chipset. If you have choosen Intel base CPU (i7-10700K or i5-10600K) then you need motherboard with this chipsets: H410, B460, H470, Z490, Q470. For AMD (Ryzen 5,7 5000 series) you will need motherboard with this chipsets: B450, X470, B550, X570.  The rest of is own taste or needs ( more RAM slots, M.2 slots and types, SATA ports, VRM cooling ect).

RAM: In These times recommended is 16 GB of RAM. If you like and want you can go with 32GB, but before you buy check RAM speed, that depends what CPU and MOBO you have chosen. Intel i7-10700K supports DDR4-2999(~3000) MHz, I5-10600K supports DDR4-2666 MHz. AMD Ryzen 7 5800X and Ryzen 5 5600X support DDR4-3200 MHz.

CPU FAN: You can choose air or liquid cooling. Main things about choosing AIR cooler are socket support, dimensions (height - that you can close case side panel, widths - that other parts do not come contact with fan those are RAM, VRM and other parts.). LIQUID coolers - same as air, socket support , dimensions and plus that, free and specific space in case for liquid cooler radiator (size - 240mm, 280mm ect.)

I hope that something from this will help You to choose. And sorry for my wacky language!

Budget (including currency): 1300 Euros

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Recording or Streaming: Valorant, Overwatch,Apex, Rainbow 6, Story games such as Arkham, Witcher etc. Also want to get into Warzone.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hello everyone! I have recently acquired my first gaming desktop after being stuck on 22 years of laptop gaming. I got the pc second hand from a friend as he built himself a new gen one and sold me his one for a reduced price. Though personally I am more than happy with its performance, I know nothing about computer building and/or performance, therefore I am seeking your guidance on whether I should keep the pc as is or if I should upgrade a part/parts. I play mostly Overwatch,Valorant,Apex and R6. Here are the parts: (let me know if I missed anything of importance)

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 

GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GTX 1070 TI

SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 

HDD: WD Red 2TB (2012)

RAM: Kingston Hyperx Fury Black 16 GB (2x8) DDR4- 2133 CL14 Memory

MBD: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA 1151 Motherboard

Cooling: Arctic Freezer 13

PSU: Corsair RM 750 X

Case: Cooler Master N300- no side panel

Monitor: AOC C24G1 24" 144Hz 1ms 

One thing that is reallly minor and is not of a rush to change, Is that I want to switch cases. The current cooler master one is a chonky case that is frankly not that pleasing to the eye (sorry pc case). Maybe have one with a see-through side panel, with cable management holes and better cooling? Granted I mostly don't see the pc as it is on the ground, but it's still important to have a good looking pc case that is efficient in cable management. Thank you to everyone in advance and have a good day!

pc case photo.jpg

PC setup photo.jpg

The real question is, are you having issues playing the games you want to play. if so upgrade 1 or more components to get that preformance you want.

No need to upgrade if you don't need to!

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

2 minutes ago, SignatureSigner said:

The real question is, are you having issues playing the games you want to play. if so upgrade 1 or more components to get that preformance you want.

No need to upgrade if you don't need to!

Currently, I feel as if I could definitely use a better performance in the games I wanna play because I can't stream them in high quality or it makes the computer jump frames or feel sluggish. Recording is fine as it is not demanding. But sometimes when playing Valorant my FPS drops towards the 100 range on all low settings and that feels awful. 

If you want a full $1000 build, I think you should put it off until GPU's are decently priced. I also think that it is not urgently bad, just a little old and needs an update. 

6 minutes ago, baranpaksoy said:

Budget (including currency): 1300 Euros

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Recording or Streaming: Valorant, Overwatch,Apex, Rainbow 6, Story games such as Arkham, Witcher etc. Also want to get into Warzone.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hello everyone! I have recently acquired my first gaming desktop after being stuck on 22 years of laptop gaming. I got the pc second hand from a friend as he built himself a new gen one and sold me his one for a reduced price. Though personally I am more than happy with its performance, I know nothing about computer building and/or performance, therefore I am seeking your guidance on whether I should keep the pc as is or if I should upgrade a part/parts. I play mostly Overwatch,Valorant,Apex and R6. Here are the parts: (let me know if I missed anything of importance)

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 

GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GTX 1070 TI

SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 

HDD: WD Red 2TB (2012)

RAM: Kingston Hyperx Fury Black 16 GB (2x8) DDR4- 2133 CL14 Memory

MBD: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA 1151 Motherboard

Cooling: Arctic Freezer 13

PSU: Corsair RM 750 X

Case: Cooler Master N300- no side panel

Monitor: AOC C24G1 24" 144Hz 1ms 

One thing that is reallly minor and is not of a rush to change, Is that I want to switch cases. The current cooler master one is a chonky case that is frankly not that pleasing to the eye (sorry pc case). Maybe have one with a see-through side panel, with cable management holes and better cooling? Granted I mostly don't see the pc as it is on the ground, but it's still important to have a good looking pc case that is efficient in cable management. Thank you to everyone in advance and have a good day!

pc case photo.jpg

PC setup photo.jpg

I don't know if you would want to upgrade most of the parts or just a couple, but your graphics card could definitly get one of the new 30 series gpu's. Maybe note the 3060 because it resembles a  lot the 1070 ti in pure fps performance but something like the 3060 ti witch has much better performance. Your cpu could be upgraded to the 10th gen or 11gen cpu i5. But if you buy a new gpu you should by a new motherboard (not sure your MOBO supports the new gpu). And if you want the better performance go ryzen a ryzen 5 3600 x or xt is a great choice and for the extra bucks a ryzen 5 5600x. Your ram needs an upgrade you can get some corsair lpx ddr4 3600 16gb for under 100 dollars.

2 minutes ago, Henry2026 said:

If you want a full $1000 build, I think you should put it off until GPU's are decently priced. I also think that it is not urgently bad, just a little old and needs an update. 

I feel this way too. It sucks that the market is so inflated nut I'm glad I got this pc so much cheaper as opposed to if I was to build one myself with the same stuff. 

2 minutes ago, zcailz said:

I don't know if you would want to upgrade most of the parts or just a couple, but your graphics card could definitly get one of the new 30 series gpu's. Maybe note the 3060 because it resembles a  lot the 1070 ti in pure fps performance but something like the 3060 ti witch has much better performance. Your cpu could be upgraded to the 10th gen or 11gen cpu i5. But if you buy a new gpu you should by a new motherboard (not sure your MOBO supports the new gpu). And if you want the better performance go ryzen a ryzen 5 3600 x or xt is a great choice and for the extra bucks a ryzen 5 5600x. Your ram needs an upgrade you can get some corsair lpx ddr4 3600 16gb for under 100 dollars.

That's getting into the territory of full revamp then 😄

The ssd might have been a bit of a splurge, but it is nice to ditch hard drives. However, if you want to upgrade your graphics card and need to save budget the first thing I would cut is the ssd size, but for the games you play your graphics card should be pretty ok. Your CPU is realtively old and likely needs an upgrade

There is some budget left in there to upgrade to a 3060ti, but considering the games you play you might not need it. Intel pricing seems to be better than ryzen 5000 since ryzen 5000 is selling everywhere for ~20% over msrp.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://it.pcpartpicker.com/list/xC3hNP

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor  (€309.12 @ Amazon Italia) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black 82.51 CFM CPU Cooler  (€89.90 @ Amazon Italia) might be not needed but i still included it, because it’s going to run hot on your existing cooler
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  (€180.99 @ Amazon Italia) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (€171.80 @ Amazon Italia) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (€239.99 @ Amazon Italia) 
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A ATX Mid Tower Case  (€76.52 @ Amazon Italia) 
Total: €1068.32
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-04-12 14:52 CEST+0200

Just now, baranpaksoy said:

That's getting into the territory of full revamp then 😄

Yeah sry 🙂 

Ok, I think you should upgrade your CPU to a Ryzen 7 3700X or 5800X. I think you should get a 500Gb M.2Boot drive and a 2TB 7200RPM Hard drive. If you cut down a little more, you might be able to fit a stock 3070. 

Hi, @baranpaksoy!

About PC:

CPU: I recommend upgrade CPU to 6-8 cores. The choice depends who You like more, Intel or AMD. From Intel i suggest I7-10700K or I5-10600K. From AMD i suggest Ryzen 7 5800X or Ryzen 5 5600x.

MOBO: After you have choosen CPU is MOBO(motherboard, main board). The main thing in motherboard is chipset. If you have choosen Intel base CPU (i7-10700K or i5-10600K) then you need motherboard with this chipsets: H410, B460, H470, Z490, Q470. For AMD (Ryzen 5,7 5000 series) you will need motherboard with this chipsets: B450, X470, B550, X570.  The rest of is own taste or needs ( more RAM slots, M.2 slots and types, SATA ports, VRM cooling ect).

RAM: In These times recommended is 16 GB of RAM. If you like and want you can go with 32GB, but before you buy check RAM speed, that depends what CPU and MOBO you have chosen. Intel i7-10700K supports DDR4-2999(~3000) MHz, I5-10600K supports DDR4-2666 MHz. AMD Ryzen 7 5800X and Ryzen 5 5600X support DDR4-3200 MHz.

CPU FAN: You can choose air or liquid cooling. Main things about choosing AIR cooler are socket support, dimensions (height - that you can close case side panel, widths - that other parts do not come contact with fan those are RAM, VRM and other parts.). LIQUID coolers - same as air, socket support , dimensions and plus that, free and specific space in case for liquid cooler radiator (size - 240mm, 280mm ect.)

I hope that something from this will help You to choose. And sorry for my wacky language!