I5 7600k is chugging. Time to upgrade.

Go to solution Solved by unclewebb,

@Itzspandex Surprisingly, people on eBay are still willing to pay good money for an unlocked 7600K and whatever motherboard you have. You can upgrade your 4 core 4 thread dinosaur to 6 cores and 12 threads for next to nothing. $139 CDN for an Asus B560M at Newegg is a good deal too. It does not make any sense to hang on to old computers. 

Starting to venture out of playing strictly competitive FPS, BR and Survival games. Wanting to play some AAA titles but unfortunately, while my RTX 2070 is happy enough, my i5 7600k is screaming for mercy.

I feel this heavily while in trying to play Cold War Zombies (CPU 100% all the time) which is really the only reason I bought the game.

As a note, by far my most played game is Arma 3 (notoriously CPU heavy) which I get around by cranking down the settings and especially the view distance.

So to the question.

What is the best price to performance CPU on the market currently that can keep up with my 2070 and allow smooth gameplay at modest settings in relatively CPU intense games?

i5 10400F or 11400F are the best options at a low price, but you'd have to switch motherboards too.

3 minutes ago, Difficult Problems said:

@Itzspandex You could go for i7 9700k.

That would be convenient as it is the same socket. would the i5 9600k not provide similar results?

Also, swapping motherboards can be difficult for some people. Yeah it seems like the i5 9600k and i7 9700k are pretty similar. I7 9700k gives a bit better performance but not by an huge amount.

if you are looking to upgrade your CPU, you are also going to have to upgrade your motherbaord as the 7th gen and 8th gen use the LGA1151 socket and the 9th, 10th and 11th gen use the :LGA1200 socket. 

is your display plugghed into your GPU or into the motherboard? i have an i7 8700k buty also a 2070 and my computer runs just fine.

25 minutes ago, Itzspandex said:

That would be convenient as it is the same socket. would the i5 9600k not provide similar results?

25 minutes ago, Difficult Problems said:

@Daniel Z. That was why i said i7 9700k. But i agree with you.

9700K isn't compatible with any 7600K supporting boards

PS. I have no issues with building a pc. I built it and rebuilt my rig at least 4 times without issue.

I also do realize that I will need to swap mobo if I want current or last gen CPUs, but I do not need assistance with selecting a mobo.

12 minutes ago, tdkid said:

if you are looking to upgrade your CPU, you are also going to have to upgrade your motherbaord as the 7th gen and 8th gen use the LGA1151 socket and the 9th, 10th and 11th gen use the :LGA1200 socket. 

is your display plugghed into your GPU or into the motherboard? i have an i7 8700k buty also a 2070 and my computer runs just fine.

Lots of misinformation spread here.

Intel 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th gen CPUs use the LGA1151 socket, BUT:

• 6th and 7th gen works only on 1xx/2xx chipset motherboards(H110, B150, Z170, Z270, etc.)
  • 8th and 9th gen chips will only work on 3xx chipset motherboards(H310, B360, Z370, Z390)Even though they're on the same socket as 6th and 7th gen they won't work on 1xx/2xx chipset motherboards.
  • 10th gen and 11th gen CPUs are using the newer LGA1200 socket and will work with 4xx chipset motherboards.

Hope that clears things up for you.

2 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

9700K isn't compatible with any 7600K supporting boards

Ah i had forgotten that having the same socket does not necessarily mean it is compatible. good point

2 minutes ago, TTAOFJ said:

Lots of misinformation spread here.

Intel 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th gen CPUs use the LGA1151 socket, BUT:

• 6th and 7th gen works only on 1xx/2xx chipset motherboards(H110, B150, Z170, Z270, etc.)
  • 8th and 9th gen chips will only work on 3xx chipset motherboards(H310, B360, Z370, Z390)Even though they're on the same socket as 6th and 7th gen they won't work on 1xx/2xx chipset motherboards.
  • 10th gen and 11th gen CPUs are using the newer LGA1200 socket and will work with 4xx chipset motherboards.

Hope that clears things up for you.

Absolutely correct it has been a while (obviously) since i purchased a CPU and chipset compatibility hadn't entered my mind.

25 minutes ago, tdkid said:

that would be funny but no it is in my card

10 minutes ago, Itzspandex said:

that would be funny but no it is in my card

well then you need a new GPU and not a new CPU. my dad currently has a computer that doesnt have a GPU in it at all. he plugs straight into the motherboard and he can use his computer just fine. but he doesnt game other than games you find on websites like pokerstars.

11400 w/b560

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

4 minutes ago, tdkid said:

well then you need a new GPU and not a new CPU. my dad currently has a computer that doesnt have a GPU in it at all. he plugs straight into the motherboard and he can use his computer just fine. but he doesnt game other than games you find on websites like pokerstars.

Right but the thing is my PC works just fine but my CPU is pinned in some of the more modern titles/cpu intensive games that i would like to play. I can assure you that there is nothing wrong with my RTX 2070. It sits at reasonable temps and is usually only at 60-70% VRAM usage in most games I play at the settings i use.

CPU bottlenecking is a thing. 

4 minutes ago, Itzspandex said:

Right but the thing is my PC works just fine but my CPU is pinned in some of the more modern titles/cpu intensive games that i would like to play. I can assure you that there is nothing wrong with my RTX 2070. It sits at reasonable temps and is usually only at 60-70% VRAM usage in most games I play at the settings i use.

CPU bottlenecking is a thing. 

well then i would look into getting an i7 or i9 as i am sure that your issue is that its an i5 instead of it being a 4 year old CPU

6 minutes ago, tdkid said:

well then i would look into getting an i7 or i9 as i am sure that your issue is that its an i5 instead of it being a 4 year old CPU

I would have to disagree. i7 and i9 are designed to excel in multithreaded workloads. Gaming generally is a single threaded task which i7 and i9 do not perform better in terms of price to performance, which is what I am asking for.

BTW in case you aren't convinced its my CPU, below is what it looks like on about the 3rd round of Cold War Zombies.

image.png.5999568839a4e2bb54fe6d4df7fcd8a7.png

The amount you'd have to pay for an i7-7700k (usually around $300) would be more or close to the cost of a new i5-11400 + B560 ($180+120). And the i5-11400 is better in every conceivable way.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Just now, Mister Woof said:

The amount you'd have to pay for an i7-7700k (usually around $300) would be more or close to the cost of a new i5-11400 + B560 ($180+120). And the i5-11400 is better in every conceivable way.

absolutely. Now I am more considering the 10400f over the 11400 (simply for the price). is there an appreciable difference with the next gen that would be worth the extra 100 CAD?

10 minutes ago, Itzspandex said:

10400f

Are you in Canada? Memory Express or NewEgg.ca have the 11400 on for $249 CDN which is ~$199 USD. I do not think the 10400 is going to be that much cheaper. This includes the Intel GPU while the F does not. This might come in handy someday if your GPU craps out.

Newegg Canada has a great deal on the 10400F. They price in Canadian dollars.

https://www.newegg.ca/p/pl?d=10400F

7 minutes ago, Itzspandex said:

I would have to disagree. i7 and i9 are designed to excel in multithreaded workloads. Gaming generally is a single threaded task which i7 and i9 do not perform better in terms of price to performance, which is what I am asking for.

BTW in case you aren't convinced its my CPU, below is what it looks like on about the 3rd round of Cold War Zombies.

image.png.5999568839a4e2bb54fe6d4df7fcd8a7.png

what are the temps of your CPU? you may just need to reapply thermal paste.