Adobe premiere scaling issue on 2nd monitor (using 4k and 1440p displays)

I just got a 4K monitor for editing and I've run into a problem immediately. My PC uses two monitors, one 1440p for gaming, and the new 4K one. I have my 1440p display set as the primary display, because that is where I run my games for video capture.

So, I open Premiere and drag it over to my 4K monitor. Immediately I noticed that all the text in the UI is blurry. I drag it back to my 1440p display and everything looks fine. Obviously there is a scaling problem going on. I imported a 1080p clip and set the zoom to 100% in the preview window. Instead of taking up 1/4 of the screen as it should, it became enormous. Premiere was scaling the preview as if I was using a 1440p screen, so the 1080p clip suddenly took up 75% of the screen.

For some reason Premiere is not recognizing that it is being used on a 4K screen, and is treating it like the entire program is running at 1440p.

Switching my primary display to the 4K monitor fixes this issue, but obviously this is far from an ideal solution.

I know I can't be the only person in the world with this problem. Is there anything I can do in Windows and Premiere to fix this?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2021 at 9:06 PM, Shoopman said:

I just got a 4K monitor for editing and I've run into a problem immediately. My PC uses two monitors, one 1440p for gaming, and the new 4K one. I have my 1440p display set as the primary display, because that is where I run my games for video capture.

So, I open Premiere and drag it over to my 4K monitor. Immediately I noticed that all the text in the UI is blurry. I drag it back to my 1440p display and everything looks fine. Obviously there is a scaling problem going on. I imported a 1080p clip and set the zoom to 100% in the preview window. Instead of taking up 1/4 of the screen as it should, it became enormous. Premiere was scaling the preview as if I was using a 1440p screen, so the 1080p clip suddenly took up 75% of the screen.

For some reason Premiere is not recognizing that it is being used on a 4K screen, and is treating it like the entire program is running at 1440p.

Switching my primary display to the 4K monitor fixes this issue, but obviously this is far from an ideal solution.

I know I can't be the only person in the world with this problem. Is there anything I can do in Windows and Premiere to fix this?

Thanks!

i don;'t have experience with this happening to me so cannot help and i don't have 2 differnet monitors with different resolutions to test.  but you can contact adobe support or there is a group on fb for adobe premiere professionals where you get help from people who have decades of experience in the industry and the group has developers from adobe as members.  i have experienced fast responses for any question I have about premiere, whether it's technical or workflows, tips and tricks, etc.  even gotten the adobe developers and engineers discussing there talking about new features and improving things that do not work well in premiere.

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects