WD black tick noise?

MajorFoley

So i'm getting a little tick noise every 5-10 seconds or so on one of my WD black HDD's after i booted up my PC like it's seeking something?. First time they've done it since i'ved owned them.

I read here that looked like someone had a similar issue that they fixed by updating their SATA controller 

https://linustechtips.com/topic/601061-wd-black-tick-noise-failing/

but it was an asmedia SATA controller, while i am using an ASUS x570 prime pro motherboard and i don't see a way of updating it?

Do you have HwInfo running in the background or something like this? 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

12 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Do you have HwInfo running in the background or something like this? 

I closed anything i had that was running on the hard drive that i could think of, video files etc. I'm actually running a long extended test now just to make 100% sure its not one of the drives failing and i think I identified at least which one is making it (my 2TB not my 4). It passed the short one fine. 

Still making the noise but at lesser intervals but the test is still running so id assume its still happening with that. I might double check my cables etc but im sure they aren't loose. Hope this isn't going to lead to something bad...

EDIT: OK i take it back it is my gaming 4TB drive. Considering its in a bequiet case too i wouldnt have thought it would become an issue but maybe the HDD cages were moved a little last time i moved the case, think when i give my case a clean with the datavec next week ill double check all that stuff...