Ethernet not working

Chewbacca

Hi, 

I decided to do a factor reset on my PC last night as it wasn't loading as it should, nor shutting down. 

I woke up this morning and realised that for some unknown reason, my Ethernet has stopped working, but the green light is still flashing. 

I have spent all working looking through forums, YouTube videos and downloading the drivers from my MOBO website to no avail. 

My system specs are 

CPU - Ryzen 3800X 

Mobo - Asus B550 F Gaming - Bios 2201

Ram - Corsair Vengeance 3200 8GB x2 

GPU - GTX 1060 6GB 

Storage - Samsung Nvme 1TB 

PSU - Corsair TX650M 

Capture.PNG

You'll need to download the ethernet drivers from Asus for your motherboard and install them.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

@Lurick 

I have tried to do this, but nothing works.

I have tried to install the RealTek driver to see if that would work, gone straight to the Intel site and that doesn't work either 

Lurick is correct, I believe if you have not transfered any media or apps you can't easily recover I would just reset windows again, start from scratch because you may have changed alot of settings and would be hard to figure out what has changed, if that is the case.. I like to setup windows and install without an internet connection, then manually choose most all updates, and skip ones like your Nvidia drivers, and your ASUS specific drivers especially chipset, and get Nvidia Drivers from Nvidia not Microsoft as they will be up to date and stable with the latest version of windows. When you are at the sub-directory of ASUS support where obtaining drivers, make sure you pick the correct one for your LAN/Ethernet. Make sure you see the computer screen icon in taskbar that represents ethernet. If you need to, use a mobile phone to tether or wifi hotspot to obtain these updates just make sure you mark the connection as metered so it doesn't use too much data. Hope this helps and here is the direct link to the driver you should need on the latest BIOS, and also the chipset driver, very important stuff! Let me know if I can help if you get stuck, I'll do my best. Have a great day!

ASUS DRIVER AND SUPPORT LINK FOR THAT MOTHERBOARD:

https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b550-f-gaming-wi-fi-model/helpdesk_download

ETHERNET/LAN DRIVER:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/04LAN/DRV_LAN_Intel_I225_SZ_TSD_W10_64_V1028_20210324B.zip

CHIPSET DRIVER:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/03CHIPSET/DRV_Chipset_AMD_AM4_SZ_TSD_W10_64_V21126106_20210202R.zip

@jhawk2k18

Hi, 

Believe it or not, i have already tried this. ASUS drivers don't even try to install. I'll press on the setup and nothing happens. Trying to download it through the Armoury Crate does the same thing. It gets to 55%, says that it now needs to be restarted and when you open it back up, it's still there to be downloaded. This is why I updated to the latest version of the BIOS. 

45 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

@jhawk2k18

Hi, 

Believe it or not, i have already tried this. ASUS drivers don't even try to install. I'll press on the setup and nothing happens. Trying to download it through the Armoury Crate does the same thing. It gets to 55%, says that it now needs to be restarted and when you open it back up, it's still there to be downloaded. This is why I updated to the latest version of the BIOS. 

Before my extensive solution, a friend and I wrote a script, modified it and named it repair.bat, and I have attached it here. its basically starts off with an sfc /scannow followed by a bunch of safe command line fixes for Windows and it has saved us and many others countless times. Just download it and right click on edit, so you can see what all is in it if you like, so you know its not malicious it does have to be ran as Admin and tbh I don't know if I can attach a .bat file here so if it doesn't make itself available to download and ANYBODY can use it, its like I said just a bunch of CLI windows repairs, i will copy and paste it, just do the same and name it whatever.bat right click and run as admin... it will take a little while, but if its a windows problem, this will fix it first. If that doesn't work, just follow steps below. If you've been working on it all night might wanna take a break, or a nap if possible and desired, as our brains don't work as well when tired and frustrated with

lack of sleep on top... just an option..

I do believe it, I would make sure you have the newest possible version of Windows on an install usb (or …dvd.. meh) Pull your valuable data and set aside. Wipe that drive, then format it again start a new one in windows setup. Re-install the latest Windows, but first to be super safe, re-download and re-flash the latest bios using a different source if possible though the ASUS site should have it, don't flash bios from windows, do it during POST or even within the bios that exists there. Could be a firmware mismatch or slightly corrupt, i don't know but that's one thing out of the way that could cause a lot of issues or the same ones later on.. Once windows finishes installation, give it some internet and update everything off the rip in this case, don't use a utility let Microsoft do its updates before throwing edge in the recycle bin even(plus you'll need edge to download another browser... lol) Once it is fully updated from Microsoft, then manually one by one do the ASUS drivers, starting with the chipset. Do all the drivers FIRST, then install any utilities and then third party apps and or games. That should be a rock solid frustration free method to your problem(s).

So 1st, on clean formatted drive install Windows, allow iit to update to its content just Microsoft updates and let it install a few outdated drivers, its okay you will go over them with the ASUS drivers. when it comes to the LAN driver right before installing it, uninstall the existing one in Device Manager then do a manual driver install, where it searches or you point to the unzipped drivers. Manufacturer all in one utilities can be convenient and useful, but not so much for an initial setup.. Just remember to install all drivers from ASUS before any utilities.

Best luck

repair.bat